Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

first time using bands....holy shiitttt

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Jim for powerlifting purposes the reason is a lot simpler than what you have stated. It allows overloading where you are stronger. Or for speed days using around 50 or 60 percent it causing a sense of urgency in the mind forcing you to drive thru the bands hard.

EDIT: This isn't to say what you posted is incorrect, its more a matter of nobody really understanding what you're saying. Speaking more in terms of accommodated resistance is a concept that is much simpler for your average
weightlifter/powerlifting/bodybuilder to understand.

What you say is infinitely true, however I failed to mention it since few of my patients are PLs!
Best
JIM

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
--------------------------------------------
Yes but the principle is the same.

If bands are attached correctly NO resistance is exerted until roughly 50% of myofibrils are activated. This usually occurs once 50% of the lifting angle is reached.

Consequently to ensure optimal band resistance is achieved the forced applied is DISPROPORTIONATELY INCREASED as the lift progresses, beyond 50% of the anticipated ROM.

Contrast this with chains that provide proportional resistance.

Best
Jim

Your percentages are way off, sorry but its true.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Your percentages are way off, sorry but its true.

Good catch Riden. There is resistance as soon as the bar begins to break the ground.

Dr. Jim must not know about short bands, choking bands, etc....

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Good catch Riden. There is resistance as soon as the bar begins to break the ground.

Dr. Jim must not know about short bands, choking bands, etc....

I believe your mis-interpreting my post, or I'm not making myself clear, lol. The 50% I'm mentioning in this case is referencing the placement of a band to achieve an optimal muscular work/load/resistance ratio.

Of course one can place a band at 100% resistance even though the myofibrils are overlapped only 10% BUT the "work" achieved on behalf of SKM will be minimal since 90% of the Actin-Myosin elements have yet to become involve in that work related activity.

I'm not suggesting there is no situation when bands could or should be placed to achieve marked resistance at the beginning of a lift, but if attached in this manner the band resistance will typically diminish thereafter.

That's because ALL bands possess a "stretch limit" and AFTER this point is reached the band resistance DECREASES. Because of this fact optimal SKM work is NOT achieved.

REGS
JIM

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Reverse bands and bands from the floor have the same general purpose of increasing resistance throughout the range of concentric motion. The big difference is that bands from the floor use the band tension as added resistance while reverse bands allow for the actual load of the weight being used to increase the resistance. I prefer to use reverse bands on my squats because it allows a more natural range of motion and overload at the top, it also allows you to build power out of the hole and teaches mechanics to build speed through the full range of motion and through the lock out. I do however prefer the opposite (bands from the floor) when I train with banded deads, which in my opinion are best used for speed work and to really emphasize full hip extension and power at lock out.

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
3) So although the muscles are LENGTHENING the A/M (actin and myosin) elements must be used to SLOW THE DESCENT. That "static contraction" is what physiologists are referring to as an "isometric contraction". Many whom WO call it the "negative" component of an exercise.

Jim
The isometric or static contraction is not the same as the negative isotonic/eccentric motion. Static implies no movement, ie isometric. The negative is the lengthening of a muscle, ie the eccentric isotonic movement.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic