Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

filtration

grayclaws

grayclaws

Aug 23, 2011
any opinions on filtration? Instead of syringe filters or single use millipore filters, has anyone tried using a beaker filtraion system, you know the graduated beaker with rubber stopper and replacable filtraion paper?

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
Syringe filters are not good for large quantities. Any filtration method will work as long as the filters allow for capture of impurities and bacteria. Some methods work better for others. Good Luck!

ICE

ICE

Nov 4, 2011
The bottle top vacuum filters work great for non-eo based brews. As for the EO based brew, I believe the nylon filters will work but don't quote me on that...

P

PEZ

Nov 21, 2011
any opinions on filtration? Instead of syringe filters or single use millipore filters, has anyone tried using a beaker filtraion system, you know the graduated beaker with rubber stopper and replacable filtraion paper?
use Millipore Sterivex sterivex.jpg . They can filter much more than a standard syringe filter ( I see about 500ml-more if prefiltered) and can handle a lot more pressure.

goof321

goof321

Nov 18, 2011
IF you are going to do something, do it right.
1) Mec-o-Matic Perastlitic Pump (ebay $50-$75)
2) Whatman Polycap AS 36 .22um Filter bell (RLS $57)
3) PVC Tubing (Home Depot $3.00 for 25 feet)
4) Media Jugs (Size depending on quantity being produced)
5) Plain GSO to "Back Flush" the filter bell. (Grocery Store $5.00)

THis is all you need wheather you are making 100ml or 1000mls. No need for pre filters and can handle more pressure than you can even imagine, the Filter units that are sold on GPZ that require vacuum that are made of plastic, run the risk of melting before you get the entire solution through, I dont think you wanna throw your money away.
THis set up will keep the mess to a minimum, yields will be higher and its easy to store once you are done. The filter bell is good for up top 5L so dont throw it away vs the other types that were mentioned.
Some one I know has wasted hundreds of dollars trying all the items that are out there, dont be like him. DO it right.

Last edited:
parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Crap where did you find those filters, they are top notch when it comes to syringe filtering~!!

Fitter x

Fitter x

Nov 13, 2011
I've often wonder about the perastolic pump. On whether or not it had the capability to do the work. I use an electric vacuum pump, a comercial refrigerant evacuation style.

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
the Filter units that are sold on GPZ that require vacuum that are made of plastic, run the risk of melting before you get the entire solution through, I dont think you wanna throw your money away.

Huh...didn't know that. I just brewed a few batches using those and had no problems. What would melt the plastic, the solvents?

Fitter x

Fitter x

Nov 13, 2011
Yes, the solvents. I've never tried to see if it was the BA, BB, or a mixture of the two. Although I had some BA get on the top of the filter cap, and it did not discolor. If someone doesn't post up on the specifics I'll check it out and report.

athens

athens

May 16, 2011
1) Mec-o-Matic Perastlitic Pump (ebay $50-$75)
2) Whatman Polycap AS 36 .22um Filter bell (RLS $57)
3) PVC Tubing (Home Depot $3.00 for 25 feet)
4) Media Jugs (Size depending on quantity being produced)
5) Plain GSO to "Back Flush" the filter bell. (Grocery Store $5.00)

THis is all you need wheather you are making 100ml or 1000mls. No need for pre filters and can handle more pressure than you can even imagine, the Filter units that are sold on GPZ that require vacuum that are made of plastic, run the risk of melting before you get the entire solution through, I dont think you wanna throw your money away.
THis set up will keep the mess to a minimum, yields will be higher and its easy to store once you are done. The filter bell is good for up top 5L so dont throw it away vs the other types that were mentioned.
Some one I know has wasted hundreds of dollars trying all the items that are out there, dont be like him. DO it right.

Filter caps are very nice for large volume. But you also need sterile tubing, not just plain pvc tubing. Even from your non-filtered media side, I would use sterile tubing within the entire loop. That means Sterile tubing coming from your compounded product that is ready for filtration through the pump head to the filter bell and into your sterilized media bottles. Preferably a GL45 2-3 port screw cap.

trentracks

trentracks

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 23, 2011
why use sterile tubing before the filter?The filter does the sterilizing,flush with 90 percent rubbing alcohol and go imho

P

PEZ

Nov 21, 2011
A place that means a large, angry and dominant woman.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic