Members
Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

filtration

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Filter caps are very nice for large volume. But you also need sterile tubing, not just plain pvc tubing. Even from your non-filtered media side, I would use sterile tubing within the entire loop. That means Sterile tubing coming from your compounded product that is ready for filtration through the pump head to the filter bell and into your sterilized media bottles. Preferably a GL45 2-3 port screw cap.

it's being picky though and precise like that which makes a good source and a person doing the job.

goof321

goof321

Nov 18, 2011
Filter caps are very nice for large volume. But you also need sterile tubing, not just plain pvc tubing. Even from your non-filtered media side, I would use sterile tubing within the entire loop. That means Sterile tubing coming from your compounded product that is ready for filtration through the pump head to the filter bell and into your sterilized media bottles. Preferably a GL45 2-3 port screw cap.

Once you have a nice little set up and your filter bell its fastened your, PVC line can be easily and quicly sterilized by running plain BA through the entire set up.
I mean you can get fancy and pipe tap the tops of Pyrex media bottles and use plastic barbed fittings and have an almost air tight system but it builds up a bit of pressure on the recieving end but it all depends on how nuts you really want to go.
If something is going into my body Im sure as hell going to do my best to ensure keeping things as sterile as possible.

athens

athens

May 16, 2011
Once you have a nice little set up and your filter bell its fastened your, PVC line can be easily and quicly sterilized by running plain BA through the entire set up.
I mean you can get fancy and pipe tap the tops of Pyrex media bottles and use plastic barbed fittings and have an almost air tight system but it builds up a bit of pressure on the recieving end but it all depends on how nuts you really want to go.
If something is going into my body Im sure as hell going to do my best to ensure keeping things as sterile as possible.

That will work but I like to go nuts with keeping things very clean. You can vent your media bottles with whatman filters if the pressure becomes to high. What most people don't understand about hardware store pvc is that is is not mfg'd for pharm use. PVC is a petroleum product and every type of pvc is made to very different standards. There are properties of PVC that make it good for use with injectable compounds and properties that make it very bad to use for injectable compounding. Below I have listed the properties of PVC that a person needs to take into consideration when compounding anything that is to be injected into a human.
#1. Cytotoxic- Causes toxic effects on cells
#2. Leachables- Chemicals released from tubing that may contaminate fluid being pumped.
#3. Spallation- Particles generated from the inner bore of the tubing
#4. Pyrogenic- Measurable traces of bacterial endotoxins
#5. Hemolytic- Destruction of red blood cells

When you use a peristaltic pump the pump head rolls over the tubing many hundreds or thousands of times. If your tubing is not suitable you can cause leachable chemicals to enter the gear your brewing, which can cause many undesired problems. Incorrect tubing can also release particles form the inner bore of the tubing again causing cytotoxic or hemolytic problems. I also don't like the use of hardware store pvc because mikey the mechanic and his helper booger bob were probably finger fucking the tubing and now it's contaminated with whatever they had on their hands. This is why I choose to use sterile Class VI standard tubing instead of regular pvc.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
#2. Leachables- Chemicals released from tubing that may contaminate fluid being pumped.

Phenolated A-ring molecule found in plastics is another thing to think about and these are recorded being toxic at nanogram doses and having negative effects in the body . Extremely potent estrogenic substances.

athens

athens

May 16, 2011
Phenolated A-ring molecule found in plastics is another thing to think about and these are recorded being toxic at nanogram doses and having negative effects in the body . Extremely potent estrogenic substances.

Thanks for the backup brother.

W

welshmatt983

Jan 10, 2012
IF you are going to do something, do it right.
1) Mec-o-Matic Perastlitic Pump (ebay $50-$75)
2) Whatman Polycap AS 36 .22um Filter bell (RLS $57)
3) PVC Tubing (Home Depot $3.00 for 25 feet)
4) Media Jugs (Size depending on quantity being produced)
5) Plain GSO to "Back Flush" the filter bell. (Grocery Store $5.00)

THis is all you need wheather you are making 100ml or 1000mls. No need for pre filters and can handle more pressure than you can even imagine, the Filter units that are sold on GPZ that require vacuum that are made of plastic, run the risk of melting before you get the entire solution through, I dont think you wanna throw your money away.
THis set up will keep the mess to a minimum, yields will be higher and its easy to store once you are done. The filter bell is good for up top 5L so dont throw it away vs the other types that were mentioned.
Some one I know has wasted hundreds of dollars trying all the items that are out there, dont be like him. DO it right.

Hi guys, I am from UK and couldn't find above pump on ebay but it really interests me and the filter units seem to take forever to pump any high'ish concentration oil though test 300mg etc.

I am interested in these mec-o-matic pumps, I am on they're website now and there a load of them on there, with different flow rates etc, could anyone tell me which one I would need?

How long roughly would it take to filter say 500ml's of test enan 300mg through one of these set ups, I get really cheesed off with the filter units, seem to be constantly pumping to get drip... drip...drip etc!

Thank you in advance for any replies!

A

argentiniansteak

Apr 28, 2012
BUMP Can you explain;

1. Which mec-o-matic pump is suitable.
2. If we are to buy an alternative pump in the uk instead of mec-o-matic.. what is the maximum psi that the polycap filters can take?
3. Is the dolphin 75 on RLS suitable for the polycaps.. just i done some batches previously and some stuff came out cloudy (may have been my processes)

A

argentiniansteak

Apr 28, 2012
I just made some sust and it filtered very very quickly with my peristaltic pump and polycap 36 as filter. A week later it has all gone cloudy. around 600ml of it. It was clear to start.

I believe this may be because it was filtered too quickly (i think in a few mins)

My question.. What PSI/Speed should the peristaltic pump be filtering the solution at... and if so.. what peristaltic pump should i be looking at getting.

At the moment i got the dolphin 75 from RLS

At the moment i'm doing the following;

I have an air filter in the kitchen to keep the air clean. All the sides are wiped. I handle everything with gloves. I do everything on the kitchen work top which is where i do the crimping/bottling(with a bottletop dispenser)

1. I brew the gear using the peristaltic pump which takes one tube from the solution (ptfe) through the peristaltic tubing, straight into the polycap (with the little air outlet lid screwed on... perhaps thats supposed to be unscrewed?)....
2. I clean everything, put everything into the dishwasher... rinse with distilled water, then i put vials and stoppers into the microwave oven (using the convector oven setting to dry them.(any ideas how long it should be in there?) (about to purchase a dry heat steriliser for that part)
3. The solution at this point is in a media bottle screwed closed. I put the bottle top dispenser on a media bottle full of benzyl alcohol, i press a few times to purge, then i push a few more times to get the excess out.
4. i place the bottletop dispensor on top of the media bottle with the solution inside.
5. i dispense into the vial and put the rubber stopped in.. i do this for each vial (in the past i werent drying them in the microwave oven i was just taking them out of the dishwasher and putting the stoppers into the vials, this meant sometimes there was still a bit of water but i always flicked the water out before hand... and before the dishwasher i was using an autoclave so sometimes there was water still in the vials from the autoclave.. question here... is this water safe to be in that vial.. or what do you suggest to dry the vials.. will the dry heat steriliser be okay
6. at this point i put all the caps on the vials.. these up until i got the oven were also a little bit wet but i flicked the water out;
a. i do have isopropyl alcohol to rinse them out with if you suggest.
b. i do have plenty of benzyl to rinse with

Question; should i rinse everything with benzyl or IPA before i put it into the microwave or should i dishwasher everything then put everything into the microwave oven.. and what about the caps.

7. at this point i put everything under a uvc lamp/light steriliser and leave on for 20-30 minutes.

Can you please correct this process.. or suggest better ways for keeping everything sterile or sanitised. And can you tell me how to improve my processes and recommend pump etc.. i want everything to be perfect.. I plant to get a laminar flow hood in a week or so.

Also if i can contact you somehow i can show you the recipes and you can comment.. there are about 48 recipes i think alltogether i have compiled

just need to get it all perfect really.. please get back to me or pm me w/ever thanks guys

A

argentiniansteak

Apr 28, 2012
All i need to know is generally
1. the easiest / best (or both) method of making sure everything is entirely sterile without a laminar flow hood and then the different process with a laminar flow hood. And the equipment i have to do this is; IPA, BA, A dishwasher, An Autoclave, A Dry Heat Sterilizer (just won it on ebay), hydrogen peroxide solution, distilled water, commercial soap (not sure if this one leaves a residue) and a UVC Light 30w Bulb (remote control), a whole room HEPA Air Filter, nitryl gloves, a lab coat, and face masks, replacement peristaltic tubing, replacement In / Out tubing to go inside the peristaltic tubing.

2.the easiest / best way to use my equipment to the best of its ability; i have been told whatman polycap 36's can do 5l a time, and between compounds to just purge with Grapeseed Oil (i think purging with BA / IPA could of caused an issue as this could of cause some to still be in the tube

maybe im overcomplicating things, but i just wanna make the most of all the equipment i have, if some steps are redundant i would like someone to tell me so i can formulate my own guide. I will hapilly rewrite it and share it with forum members once i have adapted it. Once i have perfected the method i will be testing my blends and recipes and making sure everyone works perfect then i will incorporate those into a guide. I aim to by the end of it make a comprehensive guide (for my own personal reference) that i will probably share with everyone once complete. At the moment it includes where to get filters, where to get BA, BB, EO, Guaiacol, Polysorbate 80, GSO, from in the UK. (This information is very handy for UK members), about 8 or 9 different sterilisation and filtering methods lol.

I just wanna condense everything into 1. If you guys are happy i can paste all of the methods i have collected and you could direct me to which is the best one out of all. Or if you think its too much info i wont bother. Thanks to everyone who has serious intentions of helping me to get sorted.

usa

usa

MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2010
I just made some sust and it filtered very very quickly with my peristaltic pump and polycap 36 as filter. A week later it has all gone cloudy. around 600ml of it. It was clear to start.

I believe this may be because it was filtered too quickly (i think in a few mins)

My question.. What PSI/Speed should the peristaltic pump be filtering the solution at... and if so.. what peristaltic pump should i be looking at getting.

At the moment i got the dolphin 75 from RLS

At the moment i'm doing the following;

I have an air filter in the kitchen to keep the air clean. All the sides are wiped. I handle everything with gloves. I do everything on the kitchen work top which is where i do the crimping/bottling(with a bottletop dispenser)

1. I brew the gear using the peristaltic pump which takes one tube from the solution (ptfe) through the peristaltic tubing, straight into the polycap (with the little air outlet lid screwed on... perhaps thats supposed to be unscrewed?)....
2. I clean everything, put everything into the dishwasher... rinse with distilled water, then i put vials and stoppers into the microwave oven (using the convector oven setting to dry them.(any ideas how long it should be in there?) (about to purchase a dry heat steriliser for that part)
3. The solution at this point is in a media bottle screwed closed. I put the bottle top dispenser on a media bottle full of benzyl alcohol, i press a few times to purge, then i push a few more times to get the excess out.
4. i place the bottletop dispensor on top of the media bottle with the solution inside.
5. i dispense into the vial and put the rubber stopped in.. i do this for each vial (in the past i werent drying them in the microwave oven i was just taking them out of the dishwasher and putting the stoppers into the vials, this meant sometimes there was still a bit of water but i always flicked the water out before hand... and before the dishwasher i was using an autoclave so sometimes there was water still in the vials from the autoclave.. question here... is this water safe to be in that vial.. or what do you suggest to dry the vials.. will the dry heat steriliser be okay
6. at this point i put all the caps on the vials.. these up until i got the oven were also a little bit wet but i flicked the water out;
a. i do have isopropyl alcohol to rinse them out with if you suggest.
b. i do have plenty of benzyl to rinse with

Question; should i rinse everything with benzyl or IPA before i put it into the microwave or should i dishwasher everything then put everything into the microwave oven.. and what about the caps.

7. at this point i put everything under a uvc lamp/light steriliser and leave on for 20-30 minutes.

Can you please correct this process.. or suggest better ways for keeping everything sterile or sanitised. And can you tell me how to improve my processes and recommend pump etc.. i want everything to be perfect.. I plant to get a laminar flow hood in a week or so.

Also if i can contact you somehow i can show you the recipes and you can comment.. there are about 48 recipes i think alltogether i have compiled

just need to get it all perfect really.. please get back to me or pm me w/ever thanks guys

From what I've seen on T.V. your technique needs a major overhaul. You could-should-might also post an intro about yourself before asking these kinds of questions.

A

argentiniansteak

Apr 28, 2012
done :)

http://www.theironden.com/new-members-introductions/9385-new-guy-here.html#post126981

if you could kindly correct/revise my methods that would be much appreciated...

dry heat steriliser is on route
the caps look like they would help as currently the filter just points down into the media bottle and open air can get in however i do use the uvc lamp on everything once its finally sealed in the media bottle

really would appreciate it if you could correct the problems in each step of my technique wanna make sure everything is perfect before me and the boys even think about trying it

muchos gracias amigos :)

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic