BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Fellow Pool Owners?

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
Are any current members owners of a pool? Hubs and i just bought a house and it has an inground pool. This will be our first time for maintaining a pool. Any helpful tips and tricks?
Yea i know, $$ too.
I think its chlorine, but we would look to convert it to salt. Not heated.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
I have a 40 x 20 inground with an 8ft deep end. Why are you looking to convert to salt? How many gallons is the pool. Go for a Hayward dematiated earth filter, with a chlorinator, best thing I have put in so far. Get your water tested often and keep it in balance, very costly once it falls out of balance with alkalinity, calcium, pH, etc.

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Are any current members owners of a pool? Hubs and i just bought a house and it has an inground pool. This will be our first time for maintaining a pool. Any helpful tips and tricks?
Yea i know, $$ too.
I think its chlorine, but we would look to convert it to salt. Not heated.
Hire a pool guy.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Salt is easier on skin, hair, not to mention systems.

Chlorine is currently in very short supply and high demand so prices are very inflated. Salt is cheap and plentiful.

We converted to Salt a few years back. I like it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I agree with hire a pool guy. Then you have someone to blame when things go wrong.
ive had both salt and chlorine. I disagree with LK on the DE filter. An oversized sand filter is the way to go. Almost zero maintenance.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
A 'salt' pool is a chlorine pool. It just makes it's own chlorine.

First and foremost. If the pool does not have variable speed pump, put one in. They are not cheap, but you will save in running costs within a couple years. When you add to that a salt system, the pump needs to run enough hours to make enough chlorine and the VS pump will save you even more.

I have had a pool at my last two homes and once you are dialed in, they are very easy to maintain. Find a leslies and have them test water. I have my own test kits now, but they can get you going. Once the pool is set, it is MUCH easier to keep up than catch up!

That is also where a salt system benefits. I have not done anything to my pool in 3 months except swim in it.

Edit: For ref, a VS pump is approx 1200 and a salt system (good one) depending on size is 1000-1400. Add electrical if you cant do yourself.

If you dont want to go salt, but VS pump is still well worth it. I did not have salt on my last pool but did have a VS pump. I ran pump at 25% and it allowed me to tweak my Chlorine levels and dial them in with just adjusting run time...etc.

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
You don’t have a choice, VS is all you can get anymore except on the secondary market.
where I live, we have very hard water and the salt cell will clog easily so there’s maintenance involved. Also replacement cells are not cheap.
your environment, leaves etc will affect the balance of the water. If nothing else, get a local expert to come out and inspect the equipment and teach you how to operate and maintain it.
what we are failing to consider is that Bova has an existing system. It may be in great shape with no reason to replace or change anything.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
You don’t have a choice, VS is all you can get anymore except on the secondary market.
where I live, we have very hard water and the salt cell will clog easily so there’s maintenance involved. Also replacement cells are not cheap.
your environment, leaves etc will affect the balance of the water. If nothing else, get a local expert to come out and inspect the equipment and teach you how to operate and maintain it.
what we are failing to consider is that Bova has an existing system. It may be in great shape with no reason to replace or change anything.

Changing the pump will pay for itself in 2 years. Also many municipalities will give you credit through the power company. I know our area would give you 50% back for the upgrade...etc.

Upgrading to VS is a no-brainer. Makes maintaining water balance easier even using puck chlorinator.

MR. BMJ

MR. BMJ

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 21, 2011
I wish I had a pool right now:( We have this 2+ foot kids pool, but it seems to have a major leak in it....ugh! lol

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I wish I had a pool right now:( We have this 2+ foot kids pool, but it seems to have a major leak in it....ugh! lol
What kind of system are you running? Salt? Chlorine? Do you have a variable speed motor?
I love my pool and I get a lot of use out of it, but it can be a pain in the ass and a money hole sometimes.
Mac, I’m not arguing with you about the VS. much like freon single speed motors are being eliminated by attrition. You can no longer buy them new and contractors won’t install them.

Lizard King

Lizard King

Administrator
Staff Member
Sep 9, 2010
DE filters at a higher rate then the best sand out there. I have a VS pump and a DE filter and have had almost 0 issues since I changed from sand.
I usually have phosphate issues due to my neighbors trees and this filters my close to 40K gallons the best.
My pool guy talked me out of salt, you can add boron I believe to soften the water if needed.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic