Members
Latest Member
Samson0692
What's New?

Fasting

S

So1970

Oct 28, 2019
Any one tried intermittent fasting? What where your thoughts? I'm not overweight, just thought it might jolt the system.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
At the end of the day weight loss/weight gain is a caloric equation. While there MAY be some benefits to fasting over normal spaced meals, you still have to be observant of your intake.

I have been doing IF for just over a year. The reason I like it, is I can pull back cals without feeling super hungry all day long. So "dieting" is much easier mentally. I still have to eat less though. But spending 4+ years tracking macros daily left me with a good idea of what I need to eat to gain or lose.

It also make for much more flexible eating since you can really eat some larger cal meals (consolidating them). The hardest part is getting protein requirements in which does take effort.

I am a big fan of IF, but it is not magic.

End of the day....eat less=lose weight. Keto, IF, Paleo,....etc. None of that matters. It comes down to cals in cals out and what works best for you. Hell, you can lose weight eating donuts and fried chicken. It is all portion control.

S

So1970

Oct 28, 2019
Yeah I'm not Looking to lose weight I just figured it might jolt the system. I'm sitting at 5 ft 10 in at 198 so losing weight isn't the issue. Is was thinking if changing your workout confuses the muscle maybe there was some benefit to changing diet. Or maybe I'm just over thinking it

sityslicker1

sityslicker1

TID Board Of Directors
Oct 6, 2010
At the end of the day weight loss/weight gain is a caloric equation. While there MAY be some benefits to fasting over normal spaced meals, you still have to be observant of your intake.

I have been doing IF for just over a year. The reason I like it, is I can pull back cals without feeling super hungry all day long. So "dieting" is much easier mentally. I still have to eat less though. But spending 4+ years tracking macros daily left me with a good idea of what I need to eat to gain or lose.

It also make for much more flexible eating since you can really eat some larger cal meals (consolidating them). The hardest part is getting protein requirements in which does take effort.

I am a big fan of IF, but it is not magic.

End of the day....eat less=lose weight. Keto, IF, Paleo,....etc. None of that matters. It comes down to cals in cals out and what works best for you. Hell, you can lose weight eating donuts and fried chicken. It is all portion control.

Since your eating window is cut down to just a couple hours do you get any digestive problems with these larger meals?

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
Since your eating window is cut down to just a couple hours do you get any digestive problems with these larger meals?

Not at all. I actually think it makes me more regular and less bloated in a way. Part of my daily intake (which is mainly to make sure I get higher protein levels), is a small shake at night.

Essentially
4-5g leucine
25-50g of protein from whey isolate (unflavored)
1 tsp of psyllium fiber
a squirt of orange drink flavoring (works well with fiber)

What is really awesome is I can really plow the food in at times with little regard to worrying if I "blow" my diet. I can then make up for it with a few low(er) carb meals following up.

It is really amazing and my body has really changed the way it responds to food (or lack thereof). I can show 10+ years of physicals where ALL my fasted blood sugar was super low. One time I tested 53 where the BOTTOM of the scale is 70. My GP said it might just be in my genes and explains why I have always been a 'hangry" type person. I could NEVER miss a meal or I felt like crap.

Now, I have had blood taken twice since starting, and my most recent fasted blood sugar came back mid-range. That has NEVER happened. But I feel different as well. On some days where I am really trying to make up cals, I have no problem going till 4 or even 6pm before eating my first meal.

So while I say that cals in /out rule at the end of the day and my main reason for doing IF is appetite control and supression, I may be forming conclusions that there really are benefits outside appetite alone. Given that I have only been doing it a year, it is hard to tell, but I have continued to be the leanest I have ever maintained and do so without any issue. Zero cardio (although I should), and very little sacrifice of lifestyle.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
I have done it and I really like it. I am not doing it right now (no real reason just stopped). I was eating from 2 pm - 8 pm and fasting for the rest of the time. I get up at 4 am every morning so it's a long time before my first meal. It took a little getting used to but I didn't feel hungry after a few short days. I noticed I did not have to watch, as closely, to what I was eating either. I eat pretty clean anyway but this method I could have a crappy meal and it did not throw me off too much.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
There are some decently researched studies out there that suggest that intermittent fasting is a good way to allow your body space to improve recovery, so aside from weight loss I don’t imagine it could hurt! Routine extended fasts rather than intermittent fasting may give you more of the benefits from autophagy in general. I personally like IF in general, I also feel less bloated overall, and have much more enjoyment when I do eat. Plus it works well with my schedule to rein in the cals when I need to.

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I saw an article (without study links fyi) where ketone levels from IF actually reached higher blood levels than when doing a full keto diet.
This went against what I had previously heard that it takes the body several days.

IF this is true, then there will be some great health benefits to IF also since so much research is going into the positive effects of ketones in the blood on things like cancer...etc.

Dking13

Dking13

May 30, 2013
I’m IM fasting right now have been for about 3 weeks. I like it cuz I have a real problem with food. I don’t pack on pounds (6’4” 228 when I started) but my big vice was Casey’s bacon breakfast pizza bahaha it’s fuckin fantastic and I’d get 2-3 slices every morning but after prolly 3 days of IM it’s so much easier to control my cravings for food. I keep it low carb high fat high protein when I eat and a lot of the time I find I just eat to eat and I’m not even hungry. I’ve lost 10 lbs but my goal is to get back into having a good athletic body and get rid of my below the belly button fat and love handles (I hold weight like a woman ‍♂️). Seems to make me have more discipline in other parts of my life also, if you ( or at least I) can control what I’m putting into my mouth Ivan control a lot of other things....

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Cant hurt, give it a try. I fast for about 16 hours each day.....
FD, how did you eat your calories during your window. I have tried it and usually eat twice and I’m stuffed and almost miserable. Not sure if I’m just taking in too much or what. I drink coffee, water, and if I feel the cravings, I usually supplement BCAAs. Your thoughts?

FlyingDragon

FlyingDragon

VIP Member
Nov 4, 2010
I eat anything during the 8 hours. Before I was eating every 3 hours. Its the same type of meals but now I lose a meal or 2 since I am limited to 8 hours.....I drink alot of tea and water during the fast, it keeps my stomach somewhat full...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic