Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Exploding Whatman filters?

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
The speed is determined on an individual basis. Just look at how much oil is coming out versus how hard your squeezing. If your giving it all you got, but only a little is coming out, stop before you grenade the filter & paint your house with oil. Either you've reached the end of filtering for that particular filter ( 100-150mls ), or you have a solution problem. Meaning, if your using high amounts of EO, and you warmed it up as most do before filtering, it's likely to have crystalized in the filter. In other words, that filter is done. High EO brews should be filtered cool imo. When I say high, I mean 60% and higher. High BB% is not known for being friendly to filters either. Btw, for the cost of a good caulk gun, combined with cost of a handful of syringe filters, combined with the hand cramping, and killing off an afternoon, go with bottle top filters. The nalgenes are pretty good, and still inexpensive. ( $8ish )( 150mls rated, 200mls+ proven ) Get one good vacuum pump ( $30ish ), one glass receiver ( 250ml $8 ), and your stress days are over.

Last edited:
JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
Like everyone said, speed is the main factor here, it's going to take a really long time to push oil thru a syringe filter. The standard amount of liquid I'd put thru is no more than 100ml's. However, you can always go to the company website and check the details of the filter if you don't believe me or think it's more. Last filter I checked was 100 mls.

On my end, the only and last time involved heating the oil up in the syringe, then filtering it thru .22um filter, it's still hard and a pain in the ass, but it's more fluid and took about 45 mins for 20 mls. Otherwise get a vacuum pump and have a machine do all the work it was designed to do and save your fingers.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
The caulking gun worked very well. Thanks for the suggestion.

G

gettinbigga

Sep 29, 2011
The caulking gun worked very well. Thanks for the suggestion.

For using syringe filters you can't beat it, for using media bottles i never went that route and heard a brake bleeder is the way so i don't know how much easier it is but if i ever decide to try it again might consider it.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic