Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Exploding Whatman filters?

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
Does anyone else have trouble with whatman filters splitting open? Every one of them I've used has ended up exploding on me and wasting a shit load of gear. I've gone through 5 filters from 2 different vendors and had the same problem every time. Is there any way to avoid this?

G

gettinbigga

Sep 29, 2011
From my experience milipore filters are better quality

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
Are you talking about syringe filters?

Milipore are worse IMO. When I did use them, bottle top filters, they'd leak gear from the cup. NO EO, straight oil/ba/bb. All 3-4 i used did that. Lost about 10-20cc's.

Zapcap-CR are the shit. Hands down the best i've ever used.

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Does anyone else have trouble with whatman filters splitting open? Every one of them I've used has ended up exploding on me and wasting a shit load of gear. I've gone through 5 filters from 2 different vendors and had the same problem every time. Is there any way to avoid this?

How big is the barrel your using with the filter, 3ml , 10ml or? pressure variances here means everything.

G

gettinbigga

Sep 29, 2011
I was talking about syringe filters but from what i do hear zapcaps are the very good for bottle top filter just never went that route. It always seem like when i used whatman syringe filters they always exploded and would have to refilter with again.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
How big is the barrel your using with the filter, 3ml , 10ml or? pressure variances here means everything.

I've tried 3ml, 10ml, and 60ml and all gave the same results.

Jasthace

Jasthace

MuscleHead
May 29, 2011
I have found the whatman syringe filters to be a lot better than the crap ones they sell at sterile syringes.com.
Of course they only handle so much pressure... so the .2um ones are pretty slow going,I just cant be bothered with them anymore so I use the .45um.I just heat treat my product for longer before vialing it

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
Just try going nice & slow. It is probably the shittiest part of this game, but it's what's required. When using syringe filters, " PATIENCE IS A MUST ". Slow & steady wins the syringe filter game.

overwatch

overwatch

MuscleHead
Jun 27, 2011
How slow are we talking? About how long should it take to filter 10ml? Also, how much gear can be filtered through a single syringe filter? I've heard they can handle about 500ml depending on how much crap youre filtering. I've never gotten more than about 20ml through one.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
It took me two whatman .2 syringe filters with 10ml syringe to filter 380ml. And it took about 3 fucking hours of thumb cramping, hand aching, arm shaking "fun". And that was after heating up the oil to make it pass through the filter "easier". Never again.

G

gettinbigga

Sep 29, 2011
use a 60 ml syringe and place in a chaulking gun it will make it alot easier

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
They will split if you are trying to push the oil through too fast. You gotta remember they are filtering your gear of any contaminants, so it will take a little patience and time to make it through the filter. They are just 2 plastic pieces glued together that make up the filter. Get a 60ml syringe like stated above and use a caulking gun. It will save you a ton of hand cramping and make the process a little bit less of a hassle.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic