Members
Latest Member
Nickobat

Do you Prehab???

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
In our sport it's only a matter of time before you experience an injury so my question is do you perform any "prehab" movements or workouts to help to try to prevent injuries from taking place?

If you've read my training journal, you know I have a severely impinged shoulder which I've been told I should have cut. I was lucky to find a PT who specializes on shoulders and working with athletes. I now have to perform 4-5 movements at least 4x week to keep it open/fluid so I can train without any pain (this took 6mo of rehab to get to where I'm at now).

I'm also going to start running in a pool 3x week to help strengthen my hip, knee, and ankle joints. I feel if I can strengthen my joints & tendons/ligaments which are most vulnerable than perhaps I can keep injuries at bay to some extent. To me this is just like attacking any weak muscle.

So does anyone else do this or am I alone on this???

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I do a bunch of pre-hab work... I don't always log it like you do. I do wall angels to strengthen my lower traps which had been injured a little more than a year ago on military press. I go thru a bunch of motions to keep my tennis elbow from flaring up as well. I've just begun some stretches for glutes and hips as I can see them becoming a problem as I go thru Sheiko and I've added in some wrist/forearm stretches as well.

I think not taking the 10 or 15 minutes max to do these things often is playing a dangerous game.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Interesting that you mention hip stretches. I'm going to be switching my squatting stance from a Oly stance to a more PLing stance and will be looking some more stretches like hips. Do you have any suggestions?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Interesting that you mention hip stretches. I'm going to be switching my squatting stance from a Oly stance to a more PLing stance and will be looking some more stretches like hips. Do you have any suggestions?

It's a weird assortment, but here's some pics of the stretches I do. Without these my hips feel like they are locking up and I develop knots in my hams and quads and lose all flexibility in my back...

flexihipsandinnerthighs.jpg

yoga-hip-lga.jpg

stretch9.jpg

gt001.jpg

lowerspinalfloortwist.jpg

lower-back-stretch.jpg

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks. I think pictures are better than trying to explain something in words. It can be difficult to explain something in words but it's crystal clear when you can see it.

I'll def add 1 or 2 of these to my warm up. I already do one in my dynamic warm up but I think 2 would be better exp b/c my hips aren't going to be used to that new squat.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Yeah I want from a more narrow stance Oly back squat to a very wide stance for this Sheiko program. Its saving my knees, but holy hell my hips go into spasms later that day, and they get very very stiff. The stretches do seem to be helping. I have my partner Hips to assist on some of these stretches to which is a huge help.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I have to do 'prehab' as you call it, for shoulders, hams and lower back.
I think as we get larger and bigger its even more important from the build up of scar tissue in the muscles which ulitmately shortens the muscle limits pliability and increases the stress on the joins thus increasing the probability of injury.
Hips, shoulders and chest for me are the worst, then low back I do as preventative maintenance because I dont ever want that thing to get fucked up...knock on wood.
Thanks for the pics POB I do some of those but a couple of the others Ill have to try for my hip.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah I want from a more narrow stance Oly back squat to a very wide stance for this Sheiko program. Its saving my knees, but holy hell my hips go into spasms later that day, and they get very very stiff. The stretches do seem to be helping. I have my partner Hips to assist on some of these stretches to which is a huge help.

I'm not going to bring my stance out super wide but I'm def going to bring them out wider than shoulder width. I'd say I'll be bringing them out semi wide but I know that it'll stress my hips so I'll have to stretch them to keep them healthy. I'm also going to widen my stance when pulling my sled to help strengthen that area.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I have to do 'prehab' as you call it, for shoulders, hams and lower back.
I think as we get larger and bigger its even more important from the build up of scar tissue in the muscles which ulitmately shortens the muscle limits pliability and increases the stress on the joins thus increasing the probability of injury.
Hips, shoulders and chest for me are the worst, then low back I do as preventative maintenance because I dont ever want that thing to get fucked up...knock on wood.
Thanks for the pics POB I do some of those but a couple of the others Ill have to try for my hip.

I also believe at as we get older prehab becomes more important to keep us healthy and injury free.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Without a doubt, especially for those of us still planning on lifting heavy as we can.

That's what it's all about. It doesn't matter if you're a bber, sm, or a pler we all want to lift as heavy as we can for as long as possible.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Prehab is the name of the game for sure..... better to address stuff before it keeps you down for weeks/months.

I do lots of rotator cuff work, deep tissue work, foam and rumble roller, lacrosse ball work, and stretching....

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic