Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Do you ever stop getting DOMS after squats?

mscldrew

mscldrew

Sep 11, 2010
I was wondering if you guys that have been doing squats for years are still debilitated afterwards for a couple of days. For me, a novice squater of only two months, the three days afterwards are hell. I can barely walk, and I sure as hell cant do cardio. This is really affecting my weight loss goals. I want to be able to do cardio 4 days a week, but I usually can only manage two or three since I'm usually so sore in my legs. Please tell me it goes away.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
If I really wanted to, I could make myself truly miserable for up to 3-4 days after leg day. Depending on what a person's goals and training look like, I don't think it's necessary to 'demolish' yourself on leg day and ruin the rest of the week, just to make gains. Hypertrophy, high reps with 4 sets are the worst for DOMS in my experience. I like to change things up and do some lighter technique work, plyos, front squats, 1MR work, 3x3, etc., instead of doing the same thing each week. Some folks are against cardio on leg day, I find that some light cardio and stretching after lifting on leg day can help my mobility and recovery.
Not knowing what your diet looks like, be sure you're taking in enough protein, water, etc., just basic guidelines. IMO leg day does get more bearable as time passes just because you know your body better, and what you can and can't do to it to increase or decrease DOMS.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Just keep on trucking. It gets better. Well unless you aren't eating enough.

moocow0463

moocow0463

Jan 11, 2012
Hit legs before an off day then suck it up and do cardio. I never used to do cardio on leg day but since I started that seems to help

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Increase your ability to recover thru therapy... Ice baths, foam rolling, stretching. You can use ibuprofen or naproxen to lessen the soreness as well. But if you are destroying your legs to the point that you need to post (not knocking you here at all btw) then maybe you're over doing it. Cut back your volume so you are still sore but it's tolerable. Then over time dial it up. Just my thoughts :)

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
simple anwer... no.
seriously, I do little cardio (bike or treadmill 15 min) after leg session, never day after. bike seem to help with soreness a bit but still get sore

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic