Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Dexa scans anyone?

JC3

JC3

Jan 6, 2014
Just seeing if any of you peeps have had one. I am getting ready to get one and wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions.

I am getting weighed, measured, calipered then scanned. With the results I plan on meeting with my nutritionist and critiquing my diet. I will then be tracked by three people, two of whom I know personally and professionally. That should keep motivation and discipline high.

B

body_by_donuts

Jul 5, 2011
I've never heard of it. Would like to know more. Would it help you "dial in?"

NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
Don't dexa scans deal with bone density? Just find a bod pod.

JC3

JC3

Jan 6, 2014
I've never heard of it. Would like to know more. Would it help you "dial in?"

To be honest, its new to me. From what Ive read it is a low radiation double xray. It is supposedly able to tell density differences between fat, muscle, bone, etc. With that info, they give you a breakdown of what your overall fat is amd where it is located part by part. Im going to use it to track progress over long terms and adjust my diet. Im not a competitive anything, but I can only see it helping dial in as a progress check up. There are also margin of errors that I will talk about in next post.

JC3

JC3

Jan 6, 2014
Don't dexa scans deal with bone density? Just find a bod pod.

They do deal with denisties. I would prefer a bod pod, but I have free unlimited access to the dexa. My friend is a nutritionist/chiro. He has prepared a few people for shows and is working with the dexa owner and me for free as well. I was taught you only turn down your collar for free.

That aside, the dexa has proven to be accurate for fat measure in large samples of people. The problem is variation within individual remeasures and short term tracking. From what I understand, it is imperative to practice a ritual that you will do each time you are scanned. I have read that 5 percent swings have been reported. With that being the case, we are tape measuring and weight/caliper checking as well for comparisons.

The bod pod is supposed to be the most accurate method normally available. Very little variation and it is used to compare other methods against for accuracy.

All of this info is from recent reading. If any of it is wrong, I wrote it in good faith. Keep it in mind that I am NOT an authority on anything.

Last edited:
NDLessPSYcle

NDLessPSYcle

MuscleHead
Apr 1, 2011
Hell its better than nothing and I too am an authority, on nothing! :D

Reactions: JC3
Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
Dexa is the only way to get an accurate measure on bf where I am. Yes it's mostly used for osteoporosis n stuff but they change the frequency a bit to give body comp. I haven't heard of the 5% swing from scan to scan before. I can't even imagine what faces would be coming back at me if I asked to have/do a bod-pod...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic