Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

Dave Hoff's 795lb Deadlift

Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
He benched in a SDP, I believe a 3-ply as most SDP's I've seen are, but someone correct me if I'm wrong about his particular shirt.

As for the equipment thing..... it's a pretty common misconception about the gear. One that very quickly disappears when you first try to learn multi-ply gear. Yes it helps you lift more, no it does not do it for you.

Youre right on... And hes using his leviathan squat suit there to deadlift... Deadlift is the one lift that the equipment still does not give you a whole lot on... And all due respect to Mr. Hoff, I plan on pulling in the 700s again this spring (as I recover from my injury) and intend to be ranked top 25 (or even top 10!) in the national rankings...

mountain monster

mountain monster

Dec 16, 2011
Damn! Vetter stay out of daves way! Lmao very impressive!!

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
I'm going to assume he's using a multi ply bench shirt. If I'm wrong than my bad but I doubt it. That's also why I'm not a fan of equipped lifting b/c I like to know I lifted the weight and not the equipment I'm wearing.

That was my thought as well. Still, the dude is a freak!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
Youre right on... And hes using his leviathan squat suit there to deadlift... Deadlift is the one lift that the equipment still does not give you a whole lot on... And all due respect to Mr. Hoff, I plan on pulling in the 700s again this spring (as I recover from my injury) and intend to be ranked top 25 (or even top 10!) in the national rankings...

Speedy recovery, man. I finally broke ( crushed) the 700# barrier at my last meet and took an attempt ( missed half way up) over 800..... it felt unreal. Huge props to anyone pulling ~800.

And +1 for pointing out that the deadlift suit doesn't really add much, pulls like this are a really good way to understand how strong these guys are in or out of gear.

Louis said it best " I have a bottle of test i a bench shirt in the corner of my gym and it hasn't lifted SHIT yet"

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
He benched in a SDP, I believe a 3-ply as most SDP's I've seen are, but someone correct me if I'm wrong about his particular shirt.

As for the equipment thing..... it's a pretty common misconception about the gear. One that very quickly disappears when you first try to learn multi-ply gear. Yes it helps you lift more, no it does not do it for you.

It's not a misconception about the gear. With a multi ply shirt on you have to put 315lbs on the bar to even get to touch your chest. You actually pull the bar down to your chest. That isn't the case if you were lifting raw.

And don't get me started about everything worn when squatting like the briefs, suit, wraps, etc. Just wear sleeves (and NOT double ply) and a belt and show me how it's done.

I train with some GREAT PLers so I've been informed on exactly what equipment does for the lifter. I'm not against single ply equipment b/c it adds safety to the lifter while only providing a small amount of help but I'm completely against multi ply anything.

I'd also like to see the style of deadlift noted when someone lifts a weight b/c sumo cuts the ROM of the lift dramatically.

Last edited:
Growinboy

Growinboy

MuscleHead
Sep 25, 2010
I love that quote keg, lol... And brotheriron? When Im in single ply I need at least 5 on the bar to touch... I hate the argument over geared vs raw... Variations on the same sport I love... Ive been out of gear almost 2 yrs and I won my class at raw worlds last year... Im getting back in gear for a meet next spring... Why? Because Im breaking every fucking record and moving up the rankings in as many classes as I can to make my mark on this shit while Im still able!

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It's not a misconception about the gear. With a multi ply shirt on you have to put 315lbs on the bar to even get to touch your chest. You actually pull the bar down to your chest. That isn't the case if you were lifting raw.

And don't get me started about everything worn when squatting like the briefs, suit, wraps, etc. Just wear sleeves (and NOT double ply) and a belt and show me how it's done.

I train with some GREAT PLers so I've been informed on exactly what equipment does for the lifter. I'm not against single ply equipment b/c it adds safety to the lifter while only providing a small amount of help but I'm completely against multi ply anything.

I'd also like to see the style of deadlift noted when someone lifts a weight b/c sumo cuts the ROM of the lift dramatically.

we can agree to disagree here.... I have a pro total multi ply but still compete raw once in a while for fun. It's funny to talk to guys who have never tried the gear and just assume that it magically adds pounds to your total, so yes, misconception.

Like Growinboy said.... it's all the same sport,

go on and hate all you want if that's what makes you feel good.

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
It's apples to oranges. I train raw but was blessed to train with some pretty decent equipped lifters (Bill Carpenter and Rob Luyando). Throw in some time training with Rick Hussey, and I pretty much had it covered. As much as those guys tried, I just was not cut out for equipped lifting. Partly, because technique is huge in equipped lifting and partly due to the fact, you have to have a crew to train with due to shirting up. Raw works for me, but I have mad respect for anyone who gets under the bar raw or equipped.

M-Rods

M-Rods

Jun 10, 2011
Lesson learned here. Do not be the first to congratulate Hoff.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
It's apples to oranges. I train raw but was blessed to train with some pretty decent equipped lifters (Bill Carpenter and Rob Luyando). Throw in some time training with Rick Hussey, and I pretty much had it covered. As much as those guys tried, I just was not cut out for equipped lifting. Partly, because technique is huge in equipped lifting and partly due to the fact, you have to have a crew to train with due to shirting up. Raw works for me, but I have mad respect for anyone who gets under the bar raw or equipped.

Hawkeye... I think that we know each other... LOL. We have probably trained together.

M-Rods... don't take it personal, this happens every time anyone brings up geared lifting.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
we can agree to disagree here.... I have a pro total multi ply but still compete raw once in a while for fun. It's funny to talk to guys who have never tried the gear and just assume that it magically adds pounds to your total, so yes, misconception.

Like Growinboy said.... it's all the same sport,

go on and hate all you want if that's what makes you feel good.

I'm not hating. It's just my opinion, doesn't make it right or wrong. I also think the rules should be standardized across the board and possibly condense the fed's down to a few instead of so many. Again, just my opinion.

Just b/c I'm not a fan of something that doesn't mean I don't have respect the person. It's just my opinion and perhaps in time it'll change. I already see that for me to have a long life in this sport it would most likely behoove me to lift semi equipped (wraps, briefs, etc).

Last edited:
hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
Hawkeye... I think that we know each other... LOL. We have probably trained together.

M-Rods... don't take it personal, this happens every time anyone brings up geared lifting.

PLK...wouldn't be suprised. After the Lexen, what are your thoughts on your next meet? I am still looking at Carp's UPA July meet, then maybe another meet in the fall...I would love to qualify for the 2013 Lexen!!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic