Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Cutting the Chord...

Starwind

Starwind

Nov 6, 2011
Anyone get rid of cable or satellite? Looking at these Roku boxes plus Hulu Plus and Netflix seems like you get about 80% of what someone would watch. The only drawback to me personally would be the NFL channel... Then again is that one channel worth that much? Probably not... Also there are private channels people can make with the Roku's as long as you have the password you can get alllllllllllllll sorts of stuff which I find interesting. Another drawback with the Roku is the no support for DLNA right now which allows you to stream stuff from your computer. They do however have a USB port so you could just plug that in. These little boxes start off at 50 bucks. Even if you don't get Netflix or H+ but for 16 bucks a month for what you get it is very cheap.

Anyone have a Roku? Did you cut the chord with your local satellite or cable company? Anyone have Apple TV? Or Google TV? What are your opinions on those? I personally just hated paying over 80 bucks a month for the 5 channels I watched on TV. If you have any questions about this as well please post as I will try to help and I'm sure plenty of others will have the answers...

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Rokus are awesome. There is software called playon that streams to roku. It has a trial period so you can test it. Only drawback is fast forwarding or rewinding sucks while streaming.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The revolution will not be televised

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I went without any form of TV besides downloading movies for years, then i had a kid and he likes cartoons so we have basic cable and netflix. All I watch is UFC/history/discovery and nat geo anyway really, sometimes SOA and breaking bad.

ItalianMuscle

ItalianMuscle

Drama Queen senior Vip
Sep 1, 2010
Are they broadcasting in HD? How many HD channels do they have? I pay $110 for like 200+ channels. No movie channels or sports either. Just the normal channels, and the HD ones..I have direct TV and looking to switch, just too expensive for what I have..

RedNeck

RedNeck

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2010
Dumped satellite awhile ago and just use netflix streaming. 180 for directv 15 for netflix so yeasaved a bunch of money a month

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Very interesting. So 20 bucks a year or 50 for lifetime. That doesn't sound too bad at all for the channels... Just wish they had FX... Only thing that list is missing...

Try out the trialware first before you pay to be sure it works like you expect it to.

Are they broadcasting in HD? How many HD channels do they have? I pay $110 for like 200+ channels. No movie channels or sports either. Just the normal channels, and the HD ones..I have direct TV and looking to switch, just too expensive for what I have..

Regarding HD, I haven't really used it for watching channels from CBS but I will look next time I use it. But if I'm watching H+ or Netflix, I would just use the built in clients in Roku then those services would have HD on select programs. I'll let Starwind answer the question of how many channels Roku provides.

Last edited:
P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Cord not Chord i know...

chord/kôrd/
Noun:

A group of (typically three or more) notes sounded together, as a basis of harmony.
A straight line joining the ends of an arc.

Verb:
Play, sing, or arrange notes in chords.
Synonyms:
string - cord - accord

:p

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic