Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter

Conventional Deadlift Stance

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
I pull conventional with my feet closer than shoulder width w/ my feet a lil ducked out. I also pull with a hook grip and my current PR is 625lbs raw. Looking to shatter that by the end of this year.

SFGiants

SFGiants

MuscleHead
Apr 20, 2011
The wider your stance the farther the bar has to travel which is why most keep their stance close together. You're actually making yourself work harder b/c the ROM is increased.

To exaggerate this, use a snatch grip and than use a clean grip and see the difference the bar has to travel.

This is backwards bro the shorter the stance longer travel and wider shorter and this is why a lot chose sumo a much more shorter travel.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
My bad, I had a brain fart. You're right. I wrote foot placement but I was thinking hand placement which is why I gave the snatch grip and the clean grip as an example.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
ive always kept my feet under my shoulders hands tucked close to my thighs

alpha

alpha

VIP Member
May 1, 2012
Pulling sumo isnt for everyone. Everyones body is built differently and has different mechanical advantages/disadvantages to the guy standing next to them. You need to figure out what is right for you. I tend to pull with feet right about shoulder width for my strongest pulls. Like a squat, foot positioning and anatomical positioning has a lot to with with femor length to tibia length. A lot of people tend to think it has to do with over all length of the leg, which is not the case. It has a lot ot do with the ratio length of your femor to your tibia. Those that have longer femors in relation to the tiba length find a wide stance a little more comfortable, while vise versa people who have shorter femor relationship to tibia length tend to feel more comfortable being more narrow. Now, even with that said it has to do a lot with hip flexibility as well.

UncleAl

UncleAl

MuscleHead
Jun 20, 2012
I line my feet up so that my shins are just inside the knurling of our okie DL bar ( a little inside shoulder width) and pull with my hands just barely outside of that.
Me too. Really good post, buddy.

I can generally pull about three times bodyweight at the end of a cycle. Last meet (April 27), I did 490 @ 164.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic