BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Contest prep question for competitors

Mike_RN

Mike_RN

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Aug 13, 2013
Agreed much easier to coast the last two weeks then skid in sideways at 100/mph on the night before weigh-ins and be flat and too depleted to "fill back up" for prejudging. 15wks of real show prep, clean up diet/carb cycle and start cardio at 20wks.

Determined

Determined

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2012
Means, the diet starts! Weighing my food, timing meals, etc. I'll give you all the trainer secrest I have. I recently gave someone on this board a copy of IFBB pro Shelby Sterns last week contest prep water/diet protocol. I DGAF about those fags.

Calories start off pretty high, lots of protein and carbs, mod fats. You have to start off high, and slowly cut from there. My frst show i was in the LHW. Now i'm in the middle of the heavies trying to get into the SHW. Last show was in July 2013, I weighed in 217lbs.

I like Shelby's methods of doing things, smart guy! But most usually start at 12-16 weeks out depending on how lean they stay during offseason.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
I'd give myself 16 weeks. first 4 weeks are cleaning up my diet, then go intense for 12 weeks.

gunrunner

gunrunner

Jul 24, 2013
I'm doing a 14 week cut. I find it worked well to finish the bulk and then go into a maintain mode of clean eating but not quit cutting for a few weeks before starting the cut.

wesleyinman

wesleyinman

MuscleHead
Jan 9, 2014
Depends on how serious I am taking the show and how well I want/need to do.

This might sound dumb, but honestly this far into the game, I am not passionate about bodybuilding as much as I am strongman. I will do a show more for fun. I know my body enough and nutrition/supplementation for my body, that I can prep for 12 weeks or less (usually 8) and do considerably well. I also don't have the mindset that I "have to win". I am finally at that stage where it is more for me about enjoying myself, but not focusing my entire life on training and dieting in general.

So my answer is that it all depends on where you wish to take it :) I know plenty of guys who are looking to win Nationals and do 20-24 weeks.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
I like Shelby's methods of doing things, smart guy! But most usually start at 12-16 weeks out depending on how lean they stay during offseason.

Not a fan of him. He's very impersonal, very short emails (example: 30/30/10), and cookie cutter. His carb up/water/last week is the same. EVERY coach I hired does the same shit 5 weeks out: Keto, low protein, veggies, 2hrs cardio(1hr morning 1hr PWO), etc.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
So ive been wrong this whole time, I'm only a little over 5ft 9 lol. So I guess I'm holding more mass than I thought before

gotclen

gotclen

VIP Member
Oct 20, 2011
Whatever you do I suggest you get down early. Like a month early. Get that body fat Down to 5%. Minimum .
then you can eat up into your show while your competition is killing them selves in the final week.
Work at a slow drop. Do the math based on a good bf reading. Plan to drop 2# a week. Control the drop. So, based on a 4 or 5% body fat how soon should you start to be down 3 weeks early.

once you are down you can harden up that muscle get grainy.
best of luck.
Dont start to late,
gc

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic