Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

confused about bench press grip

N

MuscleHead
Jun 22, 2012
Fix your Grip for Better Deadlift Technique was a quite interesting article or start posting - even blogged it but still can't use it. :p

Now I am curious with bench pressing. Yesterday I managed again to do a little of them in the centre - only 100 lbs - late evening.
Very soon my grip felt much more comfortable with open fingers and leave the bar lying on the sides of the hands - can't explain.

Last edited:
S

SpartanLabs

Dec 13, 2012
Open grip is fine when dealing with low weights as a comfort thing but do not get used to it as it is very dangerous when training with heavy weights. All it takes is one wrong movement for the bar to roll and cause serious injuries.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
Open grip is fine when dealing with low weights as a comfort thing but do not get used to it as it is very dangerous when training with heavy weights. All it takes is one wrong movement for the bar to roll and cause serious injuries.

Not sure I'd agree with this, I use open handed grip on Dbell bench, Dbell shoulder press, pretty much anytime I can as it leaves me putting all my effort into the "push".

S

SpartanLabs

Dec 13, 2012
Yea but you are doing dumbbell bench....there is a big difference between that and barbell. A barbell is going the width of the body dumbbells are not.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I prefer a False grip bench press with a barbell....
This has been debated a million times one more won't hurt lol..
Keeps my wrist straight I feel more in control
Maxing out was not a isue.

T

TheMethod

Dec 14, 2012
If it is to keep your wrists straight why wouldn't you just use wraps?

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
If it is to keep your wrists straight why wouldn't you just use wraps?

Well I guess I could but then that's a whole different debate...
I suppose if I had the bench shirt to go along with it I might but that's not my thing.

YAMAHA147

YAMAHA147

MuscleHead
Feb 23, 2012
im actually thinking of cutting out flat bench and goin with incline, decline barbell and dumbbell presses for a month. A buddy of mine did this and after a month his chest is really starting to fill out more. Also, I used to do sets with reps going 10,8,6,4. I am going to increase my reps to 15,12,10,8. Going a lil lighter with higher reps and seeing how that works out. Change is always good! ;)

T

TheMethod

Dec 14, 2012
You can still lift raw and use wrist wraps though a bench shirt no....it is just preservation for a longer life in the sport.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Ya I know I can but I dont need wrist straps my wrist are verry strong and healthy now if I were to use a bench shirt and really overload the weight it might be another story but like I said that's not my thing.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
How are you going to spread the bar if you use an open grip? That's only one of many concerns I'd have with using something other than a closed grip when benching.

Last edited:
danrojigga

danrojigga

Rottens Pimp
May 24, 2011
I used to use an open grip but like Spartan said its risky with big weight. I dropped 275 in my lap on an incline bench, just had wet palms lol bad idea.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic