Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Close grip vs wide grip pull downs

N

Nukeman78

Apr 27, 2014
I was wondering if I should alternate and do both. Does anyone find any differences between the two regarding muscle development?

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I have had better lat development using close grip underhand. Don't remember last time I used wide grip.

N

Nukeman78

Apr 27, 2014
Never tried under hand I'll give that a try on Tuesday thanks

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Both . The close grip will help with adding thickness to your middle back. Wide will bring lat development.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Elbow position is key. Changing the grip tends to change your elbow position and that's what makes the difference, provided you have learned not to use your biceps.

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
I change grips every back day same for chins.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Wide for upper, middle lat. Close for more bicep involvement and lower back development.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
The narrow grip tends to bring in more bicep for me, which I kinda prefer. Why not get a 2-for. That way I can skip doing curlz

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Not familiar with the "underhand" part but I too get much better width from close grip. You gotta look up and flare your elbows out to the sides while focusing on bringing your elbows down and back rather than the grip. It's a real mind muscle connection exercise for me. You can pull almost exclusively with your biceps or you can really hit the lats.

Wide grip for thickness. Though I don't do traditional wide grip pulldowns anymore. My PT taught me to do them further back from the pulldown machine to strengthen mid traps and sub-scapular muscles to increase shoulder stability. So I guess I do more of a pull down/back when I do wide grip.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6k3iE46HaU[/video]

This video does not directly address grip width but it talks about elbow position.

R

rawdeal

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 29, 2013
Don't worry about the grip . . . . at first.

Consider how the arms "track" down from overhead to wherever they come close to your torso, they can both travel thru a semi-circle that is all in front of you, or they can each travel thru 2 separate semi-circles out to the sides, and the effect on your back will be different. Notice that using a 2 hands over the bar grip, even when the hands are moved in close together, tends to still flare the arms out, you pretty much need an underhands or parallel grip to get the arms tracking in front of the torso, and those narrow "triangle" grips still flare you out a bit. Even an underhand grip on a straight bar with the hands close together flares a little unless you move the hands out, just watch where the arms "track" when you choose pulldowns and rows.

Notice too (three?) that if you alternate back workouts, you might want to pair rows and pulldowns with that where-do-the-arms-track idea in mind. Like, pair an arms-in-front pulldown with an arms-outwards row in one workout, alternated with a workout where the arms in the pulldowns and rows do the opposite.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic