Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Chins - Close Or Wide-grip/under Or Overhand?

arnold

arnold

Sep 9, 2010
What should I use to build my back the fastest?

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
A wide grip is gonna hit more of your lats, under hand will incorporate the biceps more, the closer your grip the more upper back that will be incorporated. Do them all man for a well rounded back. It takes alot of work to develop a great back, lots of muscles involved and complicated movements to hit them all.

Last edited:
AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
I been using a somewhat close grip, with a neutral grip recenlty trying to hit the lats good, but as pux said use them all.

hugerobb

hugerobb

VIP Strength Advisor
Sep 15, 2010
I dont know how long you've been training but myself I do weighted pull ups and wide overhand grip just my opinion

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Well EMG studies show that wide grip lat pulldowns activate the lats the most, likely because they use less bi. I would assume the same goes for chins. I use and vote wide grip.

Hawk

SurfSanClem

SurfSanClem

Nov 9, 2010
I vote to rotate them all, don't limit yourself with just one of them. Angles is the name of the game when is comes to your back.

Nsupps

Nsupps

Sep 29, 2010
I do wide grip, neutral grip, chins and any variation I can think of. I aim for around 50 total pullups for each upper body workout.

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011
Forget chins, too much bi work in my opinion. Stick with weighted pull ups. If the bar slants down at the end, don't get baited into it, puts unnecessary pressure on your shoulders. Put your pinkies right before the slant, try and bring your chest to the bar, at the bottom stretch the lats all the way out.

Reactions: HGH
Mindlesswork

Mindlesswork

Crusty Poo Butt
Sep 21, 2010
Forget chins, too much bi work in my opinion. Stick with weighted pull ups. If the bar slants down at the end, don't get baited into it, puts unnecessary pressure on your shoulders. Put your pinkies right before the slant, try and bring your chest to the bar, at the bottom stretch the lats all the way out.

Makes good sense, so I'll drop the chins and do them with varying grips and width

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Overhand (palms facing away) Close or wide doesnt matter at all. Your back doesnt know the diferrence. Your geneticaly predisposed to how thick or how wide your back can get. I would say heavy bent over barbell rows or just more sets of deads and drop the other ancillary bs.

KBD

KBD

I Look Good...
Sep 13, 2010
A wide grip is gonna hit more of your upper back, under hand will incorporate the biceps more, the closer your grip the more lats that will be incorporated. Do them all man for a well rounded back. It takes alot of work to develop a great back, lots of muscles involved and complicated movements to hit them all.

Sorry pux but ive mastered every pullup, and the wider you go the more your lats are worked out. The closer the grip the more biceps.

AXEMURDERER

AXEMURDERER

MuscleHead
Jan 5, 2011
Sorry pux but ive mastered every pullup, and the wider you go the more your lats are worked out. The closer the grip the more biceps.

The wider you go def the more LD, but not necessarily more total back... careful with the superwide grip too brother if you are using it... not the best for the shoulder joints. Glad to hear you have mastered the pull up though... underutilized today in my opinion.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic