Members
Latest Member
Joannafit

Cell phone proxy

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
The way I see it, if your caught with a 'burner' phone then it's game over as all the previous actions can be accounted to you. Also if someone gave a statement that the phone number belonged to you then it's game over because the geolocation data could also be linked to your actual location (and if you we're carrying your personal phone the data stamps would match pretty well). There is far too much risk with that set up, plus in my country that doesn't really work. All phones sold here and all SIM cards require government issued ID to be shown on purchase and recorded on record ( ID linked to the IMEI and SIM ) and don't be surprised if that set up gets implemented within the US too.

MorganKane

MorganKane

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2012
The way I see it, if your caught with a 'burner' phone then it's game over as all the previous actions can be accounted to you. Also if someone gave a statement that the phone number belonged to you then it's game over because the geolocation data could also be linked to your actual location (and if you we're carrying your personal phone the data stamps would match pretty well). There is far too much risk with that set up, plus in my country that doesn't really work. All phones sold here and all SIM cards require government issued ID to be shown on purchase and recorded on record ( ID linked to the IMEI and SIM ) and don't be surprised if that set up gets implemented within the US too.

So no good reason then?
Since you are including a burner phone in the equation you are no better off.

If you are trying to hide and use a burner phone that you keep on at a set location you just increase the change to be caught.

Trying to route your calls to a anonymous PBX via the internet might work.
The problem is the final link, basically the line that goes out to the public.
You can find several free PBX softwares that you can use. We did this a long time ago.
I think it was Astrix we used. Had lingo with free world long distance as the outgoing line.
Dialed into the system got a new dial tone called overseas for free from your cell.

You will call your pbx on one line. Get a new dial tone then dial out from the pbx on a second line.
If you use a VOIP with VPN you might be able to hide but you still need to the VOIP service like lingo, vonage etc.
But then again lingo offers a free software phone that runs on your cell phone I think.
Now figure out how you get a annon VOIP service.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
I agree, if you include a static 'burner' phone you do create problems. That's not nessicarily what I'm trying to do. My initial thoughts were more along the lines of spoofing (changing) the outgoing identification marks from your phone to appear as something else. There will be a record of your call, placed from your location but it won't link to your phone or you. I've got to do plenty more research.

But thinking of this, you could capture outgoing data from mobile phones on close proximity to yourself, spoof your ID's to match theirs and then place a call. This call would appear to be made by them in all aspects. But that would also be illegal as your intercepting data that isn't yours.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
First off im not comfortible saying "evading LE" id like to consider it more like taking back my fourtg amendment rights that the feds totally disregaurd... Now with that said its not obvious why a burner phones used? If you just use a burner phone and not go threw the steps i show then its a matter of one or two calls before that number is linked to youbut if u use that burner only to connect the way i show how will they connect that number to you?

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Just to clarify, I use the term "evading LE" (or similar) not because that is the ultimate purpose but because they are the ones with the highest access to information therefor being anonymous to them renders you anonymous to all other levels below that. Nothing nefarious intended.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Lol i know hood but its almost like wanting privacy and excersising our rights is a crime... Btw the equipment LE has availibile to them is scary and alot of it should be illegal even for them.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
If you think it's scary LE has it, from the stuff I've been reading today I'm pretty certain I can intercept your GSM(2G) phone calls/data for under $1000 (including a laptop to run the software, if you already own a laptop the setup is much less). Now the simple solution you would think would be to use Kasumi however a simple 3G jammer can take care of that and force your phone to use the hacked network. That's damn cheap if you ask me for the power it gives you! Ability to intercept any out going data by anyone? Now think of its real world implementation, companies using it to spy on another, employees using it to blackmail their boss, credit card information (!!!), spouses to catch their cheating partners, neighbours to spy on you in your own home, criminals using it to extort businessmen, media to expose stories (remember the voicemail hacking with the news of the world, this is far more invasive!), the list seriously doesn't stop and its far too cheap and accessible. The problem with technology is that security isn't valued.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Ya while searching I've ran across prolly some of the same articals you have...
Interesting stuff... For a few bucks anyone can post up there own cell tower to listen in on anyone in the area..
Fraud, armed robbery, extortion and all kinds of bad things can happen....
What needs to be invented along with my idea is to build cell phones that can convert audio from analog to digital then encrypt right there in the cell phone itself before sending that signal out... From what I've read encryption doesn't stop ease dropping otherwise.

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Encryption doesn't stop interception, however they won't be able to do anything with that data. It's useless cipher text (see my previous article on how encryption works for a better understanding). Thankfully for you/us these things already exist and in a far better state than just an app you download. They're called cryptophones (ironically enough). Google search will show you they are easily available. The most popular one runs on a customised android firmware (great!) and has a bunch of security built in, now I do have to mention that while there is a theory on how to 'hack' in to cryptophones for the purposes of eavesdropping there is no successful known attacks, only a theory (which can be circumvented by handing a physical key to the person at the other end). However cryptophones won't hide your location, sure they can play havoc on geolocation metadata and stuff like that, but you will still be connecting to a cell tower at some point and the ping time it takes gives a pretty accurate distance from the tower, the best that could be done would be to slow the responses to put you in a bigger radius.

To get around the cheap evesdropping, the type OpenBTS implements, you can circumvent that fairly easily (luckily) and ensure that you don't get stuck on false towers by forcing A5/1 encryption only and not allow outgoing without encryption, etc, plenty of methods

hoodlum

hoodlum

MuscleHead
Jan 3, 2012
Funny thing mate, this seems almost impossible! And ironic, I've just got some information that my work place has started tracking our locations based off the cell towers we connect to!

Thing is, I can figure out ways to completely obscure data so that it can't be traced where the outgoing call is headed (eg: who you are ringing/texting is unknown to everyone), I can find a way to encrypt data end to end (if the other person has software too), I can find ways to encrypt outgoing/incoming and still contact (both text/call) regular phones (without them even knowing your end was encrypted), I can figure out pretty much everything except ability to hide location! The problem is, regardless of what you want to do your data (GSM or 3G) has to pass through your carrier at some point.

There are a few simple things I can think of, but it still gives off traces of your location (eg: you can't fake being in another state).
(1) software fix: enabler your phone to only connect to one tower, and delay ping requests until the latest possible response time. This will give anyone an approximate location on you to within a few hundred meters
(2) software fix: force your phone to not connect to the strongest cell tower but a midrange one (work in cities only) and delay ping responses. This would give you a much broader area except sacrifice a little amount of reception, it also means in some areas (eg: tunnels) where only one signal was available you would have to use that
(3) hardware fix: create a much stronger antenna (this could be done in a fairly small case-like setup) which would enable you to reconnect to towers a few miles away without sacrificing anything else. Meaning if you were within 10 miles of your house at all times you could spoof your location to being at home at all times.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Hood lol that's my whole point of this thread!!
To dodge tower pings lol....
Ok so imagine this I'm in Hawaii I call my GF on the mainland she puts me on speaker phone and then calls you and we have a conversation.... Ok so it appears I'm on the mainland according to tower pings but I'm no where near...
Make sense yet? That's all I'm trying to figure out so I don't live my life dropping bread crums in a data base etched in stone...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic