Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Cant grow shoulders

gentao

gentao

MuscleHead
May 16, 2011
no matter how hard i train them i see no difference in appearance. Can any of you suggest me a shoulder workout routine or help me put one together. whatever i come up with it i'll take before and after pics

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
What are your stats? Would be curious to know how lean you are. Is your BF% in the teens? Anything over 15% or so, and your shoulders lose a lot of their shape, not size necessarily, but the shape. Below 10% the shoulders start to look excellent.

I've found that in the old days I focused almost solely on the lateral head and not the front and back portions of the shoulder. Once I brought up the front portion, the appearance really changed.

D

deadweight

MuscleHead
Sep 20, 2010
no matter how hard i train them i see no difference in appearance. Can any of you suggest me a shoulder workout routine or help me put one together. whatever i come up with it i'll take before and after pics
i dont know how long u been hitting the weights but it does take time to build...and also,lack of growth comes from over training..Maybe your doing to much work on your shoulders?....If i was u i would stick mostly with the basics...Like front barbell press and behide the neck barbell press....U have to consider shoulders are hit during benching as well...and even some back work to..Shoulders to me are the most over trained body part...Thats why when u do work them out it should only be once ew and no more then 10 sets for building....Im not talking about shapeing or cutting...dw

gentao

gentao

MuscleHead
May 16, 2011
Can you describe what you've been doing?

i know im all over the place, just went a little crazy the last few months. but this is something i do for my back and
shoulder workout

DB Shoulder Press 3×8-12

DB Front Raise 3×15-25

DB One Arm Row 3×8-12

DB Arnold Press 3×6-8

Lat Pull Down. (Wide Grip) 3×8-12

DB and bar Shrugs 3×6-10

DB Upright Row 2×8-10

T-bar row 2×8-12

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
From a quick look you need to simplify that routine and stick with one for 4-6 weeks so you can quantify whether or not your moving in the right direction. DW is right on when he says shoulders are very easy to overtrain, I have that problem myself and typically the less I do the better results I see. Stick to compound movements with a few sets of lateral raises should be adequate.

GreatGunz

GreatGunz

VIP
Jun 10, 2011
I pound my shoulders with rear barbell presses,Elbows never go below paralel to the plain of my collar bone (so on the down motion keep ur elbows level with the tops of your shoulders,This is the bottom of the movement.
Push up from there)
this works for me with arnold presses thats it!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
i train my shoulders maybe once a month. i know im a girl but they arent too bad. like all body parts, your basic ability will be based on your genetics. how is your bench press? what about your deads? i think good shoulders are built like all others muscles, on good compound exercises! then you can do the extra little stuff to define them some.

so i would work on your bench, your deads or bb rows, throw in some push press or seated military and then when you get the size you want, you can start with the raises and such things that will shape them up!

gentao

gentao

MuscleHead
May 16, 2011
From a quick look you need to simplify that routine and stick with one for 4-6 weeks so you can quantify whether or not your moving in the right direction. DW is right on when he says shoulders are very easy to overtrain, I have that problem myself and typically the less I do the better results I see. Stick to compound movements with a few sets of lateral raises should be adequate.

so on back day just throw in 2-3 shoulder workouts? also would super setting lateral raise during a chest workout be ok?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Shoulders are a very small muscle group. Maybe tossing them in with back day might help you lay off them for a bit.

goldy

goldy

Chutzpah VIP
Jan 17, 2011
you are def training them too much. i assume you are natty? here is day 1 of a hardgainer routine that worked very well for me when i was natty

Day one Sets Reps
Bench Press 3 6-12 Strait sets, ONLY last one to failure.
Low InclineDBPress (15-30 degree) 2 8-14 Strait sets, ONLY last one to failure.
Dips 2 10 Strait sets, ONLY last one to failure.
Lateral Raises 2 10, 15/30 1 strait set of 10, one 15/30 rest-pause

if for some reason you are not seeing it after 8 weeks add 2-3 sets of arnold presses

pux888

pux888

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2010
so on back day just throw in 2-3 shoulder workouts? also would super setting lateral raise during a chest workout be ok?

I hit my traps on back day and do 3-4 sets of rear delts at the end of my workout if I feel I need it. You could add 3-4 sets of shoulder presses to your chest day and do lateral raises after that. Nothing wrong with supersetting them at all but if Im trying to grow I like to slow down the pace a bit and really focus on the muscle group Im working.

Dex

Dex

VIP Member
Mar 30, 2011
12-15 reps and short rest time for me. I need to keep moving to keep a good pump

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic