Latest Member
AKC83
What's New?

calves won't grow

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
I'm sure many of you have the same problem as me where my calves do not respond to training like the rest of my body does. Is there anyone here who used to have the same problem but actually found a solution to it and now has big calves? I haven't tried this yet, but I've been told to try uphill running and plyometric routines with those strength shoes (with the platforms on the toes).

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Well my claves are in proportion with the rest of my body but, I did notice that they responded better to very heavy low rep training. Claves can handle lots of volume also.

I

isthisadam

Jan 1, 2013
I train mine three times a week in my five day split. I find this allows me to hit them using a variety of rep ranges and from a variety of different positions. For example on Monday i tag them onto the ens of chest workout I might do standing calf raises using a smith machine and go heavy. Wednesday theyre worked woth legs, I might do seated calf raises with high reps then on Friday they finish arms. I might do toe raises. If you play around with rest periods then the options are endless and you should get some great results.

Ryda

Ryda

Mar 23, 2013
Recently heard training them more then once is good, done mine twice so far this week

Lenny89

Lenny89

MuscleHead
Dec 30, 2011
Sit on a bench hold DB's or PLATES on your lap and raise up squeeze and hold for a second or 2 Boom!! Feel the burn!

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Sit on a bench hold DB's or PLATES on your lap and raise up squeeze and hold for a second or 2 Boom!! Feel the burn!

Finding an exercise that burns them out is easy. Actually making them grow is another story . Does anyone have a success story where they used to have small calves and now they are huge?

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
Train them heavy, very heavy, for 6 to 10 reps. Your calves are accustomed to high reps (walking) so show them something they don't normally see.. heavy ass weights!!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Hit them hard and heavy with higher reps has been my experience with my clients over the years; that has seemed to yield the best results.

I'm sure there's some genetic 'limitations' involved with this muscle group, as mine look pretty good and I virtually never train them. Also probably the reason why so many Asian people walk around with crazy calf muscles and have never done a single calf raise in their life ?!

BD Cool

BD Cool

VIP Member
Dec 1, 2011
Finding an exercise that burns them out is easy. Actually making them grow is another story . Does anyone have a success story where they used to have small calves and now they are huge?

The freak calves that you see on Fankhouser, Mattorazzo, etc. are due to genetics, simple as that. However, I think anyone can see improved results by training them heavy.

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I don't have that problem ... But heavy , low rep makes them grow ... So I avoid that

Ryda

Ryda

Mar 23, 2013
Always said calves are developed from a young age I know a few people who've never been to a gym in their life but have big calves from doing dancing, gymnastics etc as a child

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Mine are probably my best body-part, I think it came form years of skateboarding and running on my toes and then lifting with them very heavy. When I used to care about that sort of thing I would train them like any other muscle. They can bounce back from tons of volume without growing but adding heavy weight will really make them grow. Also try running on your toes for a few miles everyday, ever noticed how developed soccer players calves are for otherwise tiny guys?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic