Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Calories Over Maintenance

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Does anyone have a link to a reliable scientific study on how many calories over maintenance is optimal for muscle growth?

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I've been looking for something for a while now... I got nothing...I suppose there might not be one answer. Everyone synthesizes protein at a different rate, burns fat at a different rate. As 3J maybe... Calculating your calorie intake is based on where you are age/height/weight wise as well as TDEE and a host of other factors.

Sorry bro.

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
here's what I know... it takes 3500 cal to put 1 lbs so thats 500 extra cal above maintenance/day to gain 1 lb. As for an optimum level, I'd say that the slower the gain, the more likely solid it'll be than say 3-5lbs/week.

marx

marx

MuscleHead
Sep 29, 2010
myo seems spot on, gotta keep a log though and see how your bod works it beyond that rule of thumb he offers...

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
No, I do not, but there are factors that come into play and most of them chemical. I know that when I added peptides to my regimine I needed to eat more than when I was just using AAS, then when I added hgh to that I need to eat even more.

Hawk

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
not sure if anyone is gonna be able to help you with scientific studies on this subject bro. everything i have learned has been via "bro-science" and trial and error myself...

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
here's what I know... it takes 3500 cal to put 1 lbs so thats 500 extra cal above maintenance/day to gain 1 lb. As for an optimum level, I'd say that the slower the gain, the more likely solid it'll be than say 3-5lbs/week.
Yeah this is basically the formula I've been using for 3 years.

osiris

osiris

May 9, 2011
No, I do not, but there are factors that come into play and most of them chemical. I know that when I added peptides to my regimine I needed to eat more than when I was just using AAS, then when I added hgh to that I need to eat even more.

Hawk
This is quite possibly one of the best statements i have read in a long time concerning maintenance calories. Have you guys ever wondered how jay cutler starts prep at 275ish and gets onstage at 268? He obviously lost more fat than the 7-110lbs right? So in a calorie deficit he added muscle.

Anyone can add lean mass and lose bodyfat at the same time. Its not all about calories but nutrients of each food. You can be in a calorie deficit BUT in a nutrient surplus. As CH said, hormones, wether peptides or good old fashioned gear, increase our bodies ability to make use of the food we take in, so if we have our macros right, for us, and we have chosen high quality foods, we can easily do both.

I am around 6% and should be a little lower this week in my contest prep and my high carb days are 3600 calories. On paper that is entirely too many calories for me sitting at 215 @6% but it works. Why? Because of the makeup of the food, the hormonal environment i have created and the steps i have taken for nutrient partitioning fo the food i do take in.

Myo also hit on something else i am a big believer in, creating set points. I dont lose much when i drop into a cruise normally because at each cycle or blast, i hold the weight i have gained when cruising. How do i do this? Normally i add in things like a tad more gh, i clean my diet up keeping the same calories so i have EVEN more quality food available to me since i am not utilizing it as efficiently on a lower hormone dose.

Nutrition is truly where we can make the most headway to get the results we want.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
This is quite possibly one of the best statements i have read in a long time concerning maintenance calories. Have you guys ever wondered how jay cutler starts prep at 275ish and gets onstage at 268? He obviously lost more fat than the 7-110lbs right? So in a calorie deficit he added muscle.

Anyone can add lean mass and lose bodyfat at the same time. Its not all about calories but nutrients of each food. You can be in a calorie deficit BUT in a nutrient surplus. As CH said, hormones, wether peptides or good old fashioned gear, increase our bodies ability to make use of the food we take in, so if we have our macros right, for us, and we have chosen high quality foods, we can easily do both.

I am around 6% and should be a little lower this week in my contest prep and my high carb days are 3600 calories. On paper that is entirely too many calories for me sitting at 215 @6% but it works. Why? Because of the makeup of the food, the hormonal environment i have created and the steps i have taken for nutrient partitioning fo the food i do take in.

Myo also hit on something else i am a big believer in, creating set points. I dont lose much when i drop into a cruise normally because at each cycle or blast, i hold the weight i have gained when cruising. How do i do this? Normally i add in things like a tad more gh, i clean my diet up keeping the same calories so i have EVEN more quality food available to me since i am not utilizing it as efficiently on a lower hormone dose.

Nutrition is truly where we can make the most headway to get the results we want.

I don't want to simplify but basically you're saying keep it super clean? Every calorie counts so no Sour patch kids!

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
"You can be in a calorie deficit but in a nutrient surplus" (Osiris) is a thought that is worth developing.

Last edited:
osiris

osiris

May 9, 2011
I don't want to simplify but basically you're saying keep it super clean? Every calorie counts so no Sour patch kids!

It depends on your goal but to get real lean, mid single digit bodyfat, you want to eat healthy quality foods. If you can get organic, perfect, if that throws the budget off....just get as high of quality meats etc as you can afford. I think shakes have a place , i prefer whole food but i also get tired of eating.

BTW i love sour patch kids.

osiris

osiris

May 9, 2011
"You can be in a calorie deficit but in a nutrient surplus" (Osiris) is a thought that is worth developing.
Its meaning is different to everyone but just because my carbs are restricted, does not mean that i will not grow. Carbs provide me with energy not with the building blocks for muscle. If i am ingesting less carbs, all i need to know is that i have the carbs i need when i need the energy to build muscle. So timing becomes very impoortant. My macros are something like 225 grams carbs, 460 grams protein(tad bit of overkill...but hey i get hungry), and 55 fat.

If you want to read about it more over at ProM there are bboy and dave pulcinella who have talked about the topic numerous times.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic