Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Bulgarian Split Squats for Glutes?

Dnsvideo

Dnsvideo

Sep 21, 2010
I've been doing the Bulgarian, or Rear Foot Elevated Split Squat (RFESS) for a while now. I do them with 1.5 reps so I go down, come halfway up, go back down, then come all the way up for one rep. I also use as long a stride as I can, and elevate my front foot as well so that I can hit better depth (below parallel). My knee never goes past my toe (in fact it is behind my toe at all times), and I push off the heel.

Despite this taking all these measures to try to make sure I feel the RFESS in my glutes instead of my quads, I end up feeling it almost all in the quads instead of the glutes.

I have good glute activation in general and also squeeze my glutes throughout the movement. But when I squeeze them in the RFESS, I feel like they're just being squeezed because I'm squeezing them - I feel like they're not actually working in the exercise. I could squeeze my glutes throughout a set of biceps curls - but that doesn't make the biceps curl a glute movement!

I've also tried pre-exhausting my glutes by holding a glute bridge for 10 minutes solid before jumping straight in and doing the RFESS - but I still felt it all in the quads and not in the glutes.

The RFESS is very good for quads, I'm finding, and I get a big quad-pump from doing them, but I wanted to use them for glutes, so how can I feel the RFESS in my glutes instead of making it so quad-dominant?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You can work you glutes better by performing glute bridges and glute ham raises.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
It would make more sense to pre-exhaust the quads first so the glutes pick up the slack.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Maybe try to get the front foot a bit more forward. At the top of the motion your femur should be at about 45 degrees.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic