Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

bottle top filter type

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
I've done a few homebrews using the inline syringe filters but decided to try the bottle top method to convert 100g of test-e and deca for 2 buddies. I bought the Nalgene blue PES bottle tops but I've been reading mixed things about them and I'm not sure what to believe. Are these okay for a standard test-e or deca conversion using BA/BB? I've read some people saying that I need the Nalgene red nylon tops instead for this. What do you guys think?

This is what I have, the blue Nalgene PES filters
http://www.medical-and-lab-supplies...ttle-top-filters/nalgene-mf75-500ml-45mm.html

These are the red Nalgene nylon filters that I'm wondering if I should have bought instead. I have my own glass media bottle so I would not use the plastic one it comes with.
http://www.medical-and-lab-supplies...lon-membrane-complete-unit-500ml-count-1.html

Thanks!

Rfagazzi

Rfagazzi

MuscleHead
Mar 15, 2012
You should be fine with the blue nalgene as long as your not using EO. If so, then I would go with the Zapcap. Quite frankly, I think the Zap is the way to go all around.

athens

athens

May 16, 2011
Either will do. Nylon are a bit better at filtering your oil based products with BA/BB mixes. If you use PES they will filter fine, just keep your mixture slightly warm and all will work fine. Be sure and use glass media bottles. The plastic media bottles are crap so stay away from those. I watch all this on a TV show one time.

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Thanks guys, I'll give it a try then. I was worried that it might not filter correctly with the PES membranes. In the future, I'll go with nylon or those zap caps that I'm not familiar with. I don't do this often, but probably a year from now I'll want to make some more.

chestrockwell420

chestrockwell420

MuscleHead
Oct 9, 2012
make a bottle for your redneck buddy!

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Thanks everyone, this worked great with the PES filters that I already bought. If I do this again one day, I'll try the ZapCaps or nylon filters.

P

PEZ

Nov 21, 2011
Either will do. Nylon are a bit better at filtering your oil based products with BA/BB mixes. If you use PES they will filter fine, just keep your mixture slightly warm and all will work fine. Be sure and use glass media bottles. The plastic media bottles are crap so stay away from those. I watch all this on a TV show one time.
Those media bottles are only good if you brewed something and had no sterile vessels to use on a temp basis. Run ANYTHING except that kool-aid looking liquid they show on their site or youtube and you will have cracks like crazy and shit will leak out.

nychris

nychris

MuscleHead
Oct 12, 2012
Those media bottles are only good if you brewed something and had no sterile vessels to use on a temp basis. Run ANYTHING except that kool-aid looking liquid they show on their site or youtube and you will have cracks like crazy and shit will leak out.

This isn't true because I used it and all went well. I've only done it once, but it's obvious that if you are cracking the bottles then you have your vacuum pump set too high. Set it on a lower setting and just wait a few minutes longer.

P

PEZ

Nov 21, 2011
I always though PES would fall apart with any sort of filtering. I've cracked those plastic bottles b/c using both PVDF and Nylon membranes. Animal used to sell these small whatman 0.8 micron non sterile prefilters that helped hand filtering with the little 33mm diameter (ie Millipore) as well as anything else. I know guys say "prefilters are built in" or whatnot it makes things easier.
Glad things are working out for you. One thing I disagree with is with the plastics are not meant to handle viscous oils. I'd always say get the media bottles and necessary caps.

rmewrench

rmewrench

Sep 9, 2011
This isn't true because I used it and all went well. I've only done it once, but it's obvious that if you are cracking the bottles then you have your vacuum pump set too high. Set it on a lower setting and just wait a few minutes longer.

The plastic receiver bottles will fail no matter what. STAY AWAY FROM THEM. And always use a .22

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic