Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Bodybuilding/ Lots more hard work than you think

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
I think by now most of us realize bodybuilding, especially bodybuilding at a high level is a lot of work.
Most guys who get involved with bodybuilding relate to the idea of "hard work" being hard work with the big three.
Train hard.
Eat hard.
Sleep hard.

But I think they don't really understand the full scope of "hard work" when it comes to the prospect of being a bodybuilder...be it competitively or recreationally.

The real hard work is not isolated to the big three. No, in fact as many will tell you bodyuilding is a lifestyle.
Not just going to the gym, taking the sups, and gear etc...no simple shit that you don't ever consider when you start the endeavor of building a physique.

I mean the real laborious bullshit you have to endure day in and day out to make all your hard work come to fruition.
What do I mean exactly?

Well we all know bodybuilding requires food, growing muscle requires a good amount of protein, carbs and just the right amount of fat.
That being said, you will be doing a lot of cooking and even more cleaning.
I clean my kitchen every night before bed, I wipe down the counters, throw away the trash, do the dishes.
By 3 am I have at least tupperware and a spoon in the sink, after breakfast a new set of pan, bowls, plates and silverware.
Then I have to make my lunch which is chicken breats with rice, and 2 meals that are from supplements.
So I have to clean the foreman grill after Im done cooking the chicken, use 2 peices of tupperware to eat with during work, and two more with protein, some gainer and oats (dry) in it.
One gallon of water and Im set.
Thats 5 meals, cooked and prepped for the day.
When I get off work, I come home make 2 more meals, I like to eat a couple different things, but usually involves red meat.
So, more pots or pans, another plate and more silverware, not too mention the dirty tupperware and silverware I took to work.
So, clean that mess up and eat, clean up after those 2 meals take supplements and go to bed.

Thats just one day!
Thats also a very, very consolidated system I have come up with after years of doing this.
Im not trying to brag that I do a lot of work, but look at how much goes into making 7 of my meals!
On top of all the food that you cook and cleaning the kitchen, the inordinate amount of trash I produce.
On top of trash the recycling, empty one gallon jugs of water, and empty containers of protein and other various supplements.
Just think about all the extra effort that you as a bodybuilder have to put into cooking and cleaning every day...and its all because you are eating that much more.
Its something I think a lot of people simply arent prepared for and dont ever consider when they think of the effort involved with the bodybuilding lifestyle.

Oh, but wait theres more!

Your laundry. Just for starters your constant growth in phases makes you have to buy two sets of clothers...oh no, not just winter/summer. No its more like winter/diet, winter/bulk, summer/diet, and summer/bulk.
I gave up on having a lot of nice dress clothes, investing money there just means giving them to good will a 6 months later.
I just resort to having most every thing a 4xl or so and if I lose weight the clothes just have to be baggy, fuck it thats what a belt is for.
You also have a n extra set of clothes you have to wash each week, if you do cardio at a seperate time of day you will have double the nasty, sweaty clothes to wash.
I had to get an extra hamper to put my grimy gym clothes in. They were contaminating my dirty work clothes so badly I had to form a segregated laundry system, even then it was simply controlling chaos.
These gym clothes also just get worn out, you will be spending a good bit of cash on cheap workout clothes...I simply resorted to visiting the good will stores and finding some big fat slobs old clothes and buying shirts and shorts for a buck a peice.
Get ready to spend 3 times the money on detergent and drier sheets too, and your electric bill is gonna tak a good little jump.
Just think I haven't even metioned the actual effort of washing, drying and folding all those clothes.

Now comes some of the fun parts, shopping!
Yeah grocery shopping...if your real savvy and have the extra money, SAM's or Costco will be your best friend, unfortunately I'm on a budget as are a lot of us.
So I shop for my groceries at the ol grocery store.
Not many bulk buys going on, you learn to get the stores weekly coupons and you learn where to find as many of the manufacturers coupons on the things you need, especially on foods.
Unfortunately alot of the coupons are not on anything really worthwhile so you have to spend a good bit of time sifting through them to find anything worth a damn to use, but if your gonna spend that much loot on food and things to clean with, you better damn well do it.

So, you think thats it?
Nah, theres more, lets say you have a day off from your pay job, and you end up having a number of errands to run, these errands might have you driving around and going from place to place on particular day...well get your cooler out and pack it up with food so when your out and about you have your meals with you, remember eating every 2 hours? Yeah that means you have to drag all that wonderful food around with you at times like that.
Just one more wonderful aspect of bodybuilding lifestyle that I think many don't even consider.

Then there's all the time you spend doing all these things, not just time but EXTRA time, everyone does these things, but bodybuilders have to do a lot more of them.
I am always amazed by the time constraints created by all the eating and time spent at the gym.
Between all this, my school work, and a job, holy shit, I don't have much time to even scratch my ass.
You get up early and you try to squeeze all of it in one day and get to bed at a decent hour so you can be rested up and do it again the next day, and the next so on and so on.

I love bodybuilding, I love doing it, there is something empowering about doing it, but I never imagined all the ways it would affect my life and how much extra work it creates outside of the gym.
I think its truly why a lot of people end up quitting, its not the gym workouts or the eating, its everything behind the scenes that it takes to do those things.

Bodybuilding is one of the most rewarding endeavors I think a person can do, but be prepared its a lot more than eating hard and training hard, its living hard.
The great thing about bodybuilding is it teaches you the self discipline to handle all these extra things that go into creating a better physique.
For me its truly a labor of love.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
And you didn't even touch on the subject of how it can affect your family life...

Awesome reading aj keep em coming.

ajdos

Friends Remembered
Sep 8, 2010
And you didn't even touch on the subject of how it can affect your family life...

Awesome reading aj keep em coming.

No, sure didnt POB, when I was married it was a major pain in the ass...for her. I understood my ex-wifes frustrations, especially when I was dieting for a show for 3-4 months and I wouldn't have any time for her or us.
I can't even imagine how it is for people who have children especially more than one, and younger children who require alot more attention and care.
I have a pet, and thats a lot of work to keep him walked fed and get him out and about once in awhile.
Tellin, ya theres a lot more that goes into building your body than just going and kicking ass in the gym, stuffing your face, and pinning yourself.

Q

Qwerty1424

MuscleHead
Mar 2, 2011
great read.... not to mention there is not much money in bbing unless u are a olympia level bber im sure

bybon

bybon

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2011
It's funny how most people don't realize those things are needed to build a great physique, and how much a person has to sacrifice in bodybuilding.

I happen to be one of the people that draw the line on some of those things; time with my wife and family is far more important than meal prep.

However, my wife does cook for me and make sure I have left-overs (e.g. meat+veggie meal for supper and day after), makes me tuna mix to last for a week of tuna sandwiches for lunch, and has my shakers cleaned so I can continually pound whey.

Again, like aj has stated-it takes a whole lot of sacrificing to build a great physique. You just have to choose whether you want to make the necessary sacrifices or not.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Do you have plans to get back on the stage AJ?

BLTC

BLTC

VIP Member
Dec 23, 2010
theres a lot more that goes into building your body than just going and kicking ass in the gym, stuffing your face, and pinning yourself.

^^^ worth reading again

basskiller

Friends Remembered
Sep 12, 2010
with reguards to the food.. I never buy meat unless it's BOGO .. Then I'll buy 30 to 40lbs.. so that means I have 60 to 80lbs of chicken/fish/or steak I have to vaccum seal .. Thats an all day job..

Great post Aj

beetlejuice

beetlejuice

VIP Member
Aug 19, 2011
Great post. I can surely relate. How much are you guys sleeping? I try to get 7 hours but I find that most days I get just over 6.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
the above principles apply to anything that one wants to be successful at! be it bb or a career or a parent or a spouse! if you want to succeed one has to be disciplined and put in the time and be inconvienced by daily life. it comes down to the choices one makes and the time dedicated to do it instead of just talking about it! most people want an excuse as to why they failed at something or why it didnt happen when mostly it is that they didnt care enough about achieving the desired goal to put in the time and effort and be inconvienced by it!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic