Latest Member
lk has no balls
What's New?

Bent over Rows vs Cable Rows vs One Arm DB Rows

matthewk04

matthewk04

VIP Member
Jul 21, 2013
I can't for the life of me understand people who lifts weights and have no interest in being strong. If you are old or sick or doing it to be healthy, great.

But if you want to look strong and not be strong you got your shit backwards.

D

doukkali

Apr 12, 2014
Bent bb rows are an excellent full body exercise. .. you can get hurt doing anything incorrectly. Are deads unsafe too? I think not.
"I know which exercise I can do and which I must avoid, the latter being regular and full squats, deadlifts and bent over barbell rowing, all of which cause considerable pain in my sacro region"
Reg Park the father of 5x5 routine.

Rottenrogue

Rottenrogue

Strongwoman
Jan 26, 2011
I just don't even know how to really respond to this.
Let me get this straight you are saying squats and deadlifts are dangerous ?
What is your purpose here ? This is a bb and pl forum. You know we are all going to be doing these lifts. Are you here just to tell us how wrong we are ?

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
I do bent bb and old school t-bar rows both religiously. These are bread and butter, along with pullups and rack pulls / deads.

Anything else - such as seated machine low rows & pulldowns, or the occasional couple of sets of 1 arm db rows or seated cable rows - are just icing on the cake & done as finishing movements.

brutus79

brutus79

Dec 27, 2013
I just don't even know how to really respond to this.
Let me get this straight you are saying squats and deadlifts are dangerous ?
What is your purpose here ? This is a bb and pl forum. You know we are all going to be doing these lifts. Are you here just to tell us how wrong we are ?

I am confused as well- eagerly awaiting reponse...

D

doukkali

Apr 12, 2014
Me too I am confused, what is the purpose of this forum? the op is having back problems and asked a clear question about what it is safer for the back among free weights and cable machines options. If this forum is only dedicated to free weight then I have nothing to do here.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
"I know which exercise I can do and which I must avoid, the latter being regular and full squats, deadlifts and bent over barbell rowing, all of which cause considerable pain in my sacro region"
Reg Park the father of 5x5 routine.

There is no such thing as a dangerous exercise . That is complete and utter lie . Everything is relative to the individual. . Your level of conditioning and flexibility . Even sounds like if you concentrated on building the erector sacro area with weights - you would be able to do the other exercises . I know this because I myself has done it. On fact in 1995 I had my l4/l5 sacro area fused with internal titanium cage and shavings of my hip bone. Took 3 months to set and 2 years to harden. Now at 49 I am stronger in those exercises than when I was in my teens and 20s. In fact I haven't used a belt since then. Rehab of weights for Lower back ie stiff deads, weighted hypers and weighted reverse hypers were part of my rehab and continue as my regular routine for lower back. I have no limits - do standing calf with 1000 pounds compression on my shoulders and spine . One arm rows with 200 lb dumbells etc. my issue is finding a gym that has what I need - no ****ing pussy planet fagness! Lmao - in fact the inner lobby of my gym says " no pussies admitted" ba ha

If you have injury see a sports medicine orthopedic physician - find the office that works with your professional sports teams. Like when I did my back I went where the bruins and celtics go. My surgeon did Larry Bird and Jean Ratelle ect. No five pound dumbells and abs like most physical therapy . Bodybuilders are athletes and need different approach

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I have had a history of back problems and when I even look at someone doing a bent over bb row my back starts to hurt. Are cable rows or one arm dumbbell rows hitting the same muscles? I understand that the bent over BB rows incorporate a lot more core/stability muscles but for someone who is just concentrating on their back do these alternatives offer the same value?

Only you can answer . If it hurts don't do ! That simple. Personally I make use of machines to work around injuries as the machine holds me where it hurts ect

But again go rehab your injury so you can do more later .

I
You say you concentrate on your back well heal it!!!

Read and study further on exercise and movement as all muscles work stronger in unison . Therefore to not know the answer to why you would benefit conveys that you have more studying to do

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic