Latest Member
pbtom
What's New?

Bent over Rows vs Cable Rows vs One Arm DB Rows

AWARE72

AWARE72

MuscleHead
Oct 17, 2010
I not sure which one would case you less problem. I find seat row also work my core quit a bit. I normally rotate these exercise

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I get back pumps sometimes from barbell rows, I tough it out and tell myself I'm just building the weak links..... Lies or not it gets me threw my sets lol

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
A barbell or DB movement is superior to any machine/cabled movement.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
No they are all somewhat different, but hit same main focus. Of your back hurts you find a way around it. Usually gym has torso supported back equipment to take strain of lower back as bench supports you and weight . Cybex has like several variations , all support your torso , high rows, medium and low angled rowing. Pull ups or pull downs should not strain lower back if gone without rocking and leaning. There are tons of variatios

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
I'm beginning to think more and more that your body does not know the difference between a machine, a cable or whatever... Been doing cable rowing for back lately and it's made a big difference. Been using incline machines for upper chest as well, way better...

Not true, you are fooling yourself. Machines are moving on a specific plane, the body may not need to struggle with forces of balance ect. It's been proven over and over free weights , barbells, kettle bells, dumbells and even some cable use assistance muscles can increase range of motion , even then standing is more functional than sitting. Although isolation has its purpose in training and rehab. You may want to do more research and train.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Sadly i can't do bent-over-dumbbell rows because i can't feel my back muscles work. Barbell rows are superior IMO.

Can't?? Or won't take the time you need to practice and develop that mind muscle connection. Find a really good bodybuilder trainer that can watch you and help you see what you are doing wrong. DB row is one of the most commonly misunderstood movements, back is hard for most to completely feel , takes years for some.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
Can't?? Or won't take the time you need to practice and develop that mind muscle connection. Find a really good bodybuilder trainer that can watch you and help you see what you are doing wrong. DB row is one of the most commonly misunderstood movements, back is hard for most to completely feel , takes years for some.

I'm just the opposite. I feel DB Rows more than BB.

Fish77

Fish77

VIP Member
Dec 24, 2010
Mike,

DB rows are great for hitting the lats! The BB rows are complex, so hit more that that. If you do horizontal supported DB rows, you may also lose the trap workout the BB rows offer. Not a problem, just add a movement in to replace what you have lost. Or do your rows more vertical if you are after the traps. Honestly you can make a whole day out of the DB row just by changing angle/support/weight/path. But that is also why they are hard to master. Just a little movement and you can cheat your set away.

Cables are different in my mind. And often not a good heavy lift. While DB rows can be heavy. So I do not think cables are correct to replace BB rows with, but fine to add to your workout.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
Not true, you are fooling yourself. Machines are moving on a specific plane, the body may not need to struggle with forces of balance ect. It's been proven over and over free weights , barbells, kettle bells, dumbells and even some cable use assistance muscles can increase range of motion , even then standing is more functional than sitting. Although isolation has its purpose in training and rehab. You may want to do more research and train.

I've done both over long term comparisions, been training for 20 years plus, just sharing what works best for me.

when you mean proof, what do you suggest by that? and I dont' care about the functional stuff, the look results, are all that matters. The strength from machines does transfer into other aspects of life also, not as much as compound lifts, but again, I don't care about that.

also with cables there is room to lift, feel the weight differently, it's not just a straight line of pull. also range of motion for a muscle and an exercise are 2 different things, why do you think pro's use what most call "limited" range of motion, they do it to stimulate the muscle, not earn braggin' rights on how much they can use in full range of the movement.

now you seem to know your stuff, your avatar pic is good, just explaining why I think this, and not so long ago, I would have said the same you are saying here. I chose to open up my horizons a bit, and it's working.

I like both methods, but I used to kinda snub the guys doing what looked like lots of machine work, fast, incomplete looking reps as well. But this way of training,you can get in lots of sets without burning the cns, especially worrying about balancing the weights, you focus on what's important, stimulating the muscle.

This is part of my ever going research.

ritch

ritch

MuscleHead
Dec 4, 2011
Mike,

DB rows are great for hitting the lats! The BB rows are complex, so hit more that that. If you do horizontal supported DB rows, you may also lose the trap workout the BB rows offer. Not a problem, just add a movement in to replace what you have lost. Or do your rows more vertical if you are after the traps. Honestly you can make a whole day out of the DB row just by changing angle/support/weight/path. But that is also why they are hard to master. Just a little movement and you can cheat your set away.

Cables are different in my mind. And often not a good heavy lift. While DB rows can be heavy. So I do not think cables are correct to replace BB rows with, but fine to add to your workout

and this is why people don't get the same results with cables as with free weights. They don't approach their use the same way. Go as hard on them as you do with the dumbells or whatnot, then tell me...

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
Cables an machines have there place for alot of u guys I'm sure... But just my observation, if you look around a commercial gym the guys using just machines n cables and never any barbell work usually arnt very big.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic