Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Back surgery, good idea ?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Are you having sciatica? I'm assuming so.

Yes and no. I have pains run down mostly my right foot.... But not like a throbbing pain. It's a sharp type.

Most of the pain is in the low back area.

You know man, I have been sleeping with a pillow between my legs since I think 8th grade.

I can't stand my knees together while sleeping. I have always wondered if anyone else does this also.

Here's how my back started hurting again:

About a month ago I was having hardly no back pain. I was doing all my low back and an work. Then a little over two weeks ago, I caught a stomach bug. I was out of the gym for a week. So my back tightened up, and it started hurting. Then I worked out the following Monday, and I was doing shoulders. I was on my last set of side lateral raises and I forgot to tighten my stomach before lifting the weights. And I felt a crack in the low back. So for the past two weeks it's bed hurting real bad. But I've been doing low back and an work a couple times a week, and now it's getting better.

I have to make sure I tighten up before I lift anything.

Sorry to hear about your back man. How are you doing now?

Last edited:
Braw16

Braw16

MuscleHead
Aug 8, 2012
I'm not an expert on lower back but I've had 2 discs removed in my neck and replaced with cadaver bones and titanium. If your discs are bulged they can go back through therapy and training. I had about 30 injections if not more and I'm finding out the sides my be why I struggle with some things now. I had surgery in 09 and then a clean out in 10. I've been back at for a while and my weight numbers are getting better. You can check out a log I started. Just be careful with what you do and weigh out all your options. I held off surgery for 7 yrs bad choice but I've lived and learned. Pm me if you want to know anything more I've been through it all I promise you. Good luck

Darkness

Darkness

VIP Member
May 7, 2011
The problem with this kind of surgery is that it never yields the permanent results you seek. My doc told me unless he felt there was danger of me being paralized, he would never reccommend back surgery. We have some similar issues. My doc recently put me through some of his own rehab (he is a PLer), took over all of my workouts, and did some really nice things to stregnthen my back. The sciatica has been gone for a while.

Ussually once we get an injury like this, the process of recovery is slowed by the resulting stiffness, inflexibility, and and certain muscles weakening. The solution for me was to strengthen these, get flexible, and obtain very strong hamstrings. Srs.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I'm not an expert on lower back but I've had 2 discs removed in my neck and replaced with cadaver bones and titanium. If your discs are bulged they can go back through therapy and training. I had about 30 injections if not more and I'm finding out the sides my be why I struggle with some things now. I had surgery in 09 and then a clean out in 10. I've been back at for a while and my weight numbers are getting better. You can check out a log I started. Just be careful with what you do and weigh out all your options. I held off surgery for 7 yrs bad choice but I've lived and learned. Pm me if you want to know anything more I've been through it all I promise you. Good luck

Hey man, thanks for the info! Where is your log at? What's it called?

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
The problem with this kind of surgery is that it never yields the permanent results you seek. My doc told me unless he felt there was danger of me being paralized, he would never reccommend back surgery. We have some similar issues. My doc recently put me through some of his own rehab (he is a PLer), took over all of my workouts, and did some really nice things to stregnthen my back. The sciatica has been gone for a while.

Ussually once we get an injury like this, the process of recovery is slowed by the resulting stiffness, inflexibility, and and certain muscles weakening. The solution for me was to strengthen these, get flexible, and obtain very strong hamstrings. Srs.

Thanks man for the info. This is exactly what I'm learning now. Keeping everything strong and working it out frequently can lessen the stiffness. My dr also recommended I not get surgery. So I think I'm gonna just keep doing what I'm doing.

Also, what you said about the problem not being 100% fixed, is one reason why I wanna pass on surgery. Plus I'm afraid ill just re injure it again.

If you don't mind me asking, what all did you do to get flexibility back?

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Bro love to help you in any way but I have been fortunate with my lower back not so with my shoulders just had surgery.my only advice is to speak to as many people who have the same issue pre and post op and weigh your options.good luck

Darkness

Darkness

VIP Member
May 7, 2011
Thanks man for the info. This is exactly what I'm learning now. Keeping everything strong and working it out frequently can lessen the stiffness. My dr also recommended I not get surgery. So I think I'm gonna just keep doing what I'm doing.

Also, what you said about the problem not being 100% fixed, is one reason why I wanna pass on surgery. Plus I'm afraid ill just re injure it again.

If you don't mind me asking, what all did you do to get flexibility back?

Lots of hamstring stretches. I start out with one that has been magic for me. I sit with my back against the wall and my legs straight out in front of me. One leg at a time, I push my heel down as hard as I can into the floor. Hold for 15 sec. per side and alternate so you hit it 4 times on each side, then do some typical hammy stretches.

Inversion tables are now your friend too :)

I have a long way to go to get my lower body strength back but I did squat this am and was happy with how well it went. I felt normal. Easy does it...

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011

This is very accurate. I'm going to do more core this year but it's a double edged sword. Work it to much and I'm re injured.

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Sorry to hear about your back man. How are you doing now?

When it feels good no pain but very stiff and limited range. When in pain just from over using it, the back stiffens up and will feel sciatica. If I really overdo it, I need bed rest several hours a day deoending how bad and for weeks to months.

Couches are horrible for my back.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Lots of hamstring stretches. I start out with one that has been magic for me. I sit with my back against the wall and my legs straight out in front of me. One leg at a time, I push my heel down as hard as I can into the floor. Hold for 15 sec. per side and alternate so you hit it 4 times on each side, then do some typical hammy stretches.

Inversion tables are now your friend too :)

I have a long way to go to get my lower body strength back but I did squat this am and was happy with how well it went. I felt normal. Easy does it...

For sure man. I have an inversion table and I use it daily. Decompression and exercising make the pain better. This is interesting but squats and dead lifts actually HELP the pain stop. I think it works the lower back muscle a lot and loosens them up. Also, do the hip abductor and adductor machine! and some type of torso twisting machine. I just started doing these and they make a HUGE difference!

When it feels good no pain but very stiff and limited range. When in pain just from over using it, the back stiffens up and will feel sciatica. If I really overdo it, I need bed rest several hours a day deoending how bad and for weeks to months.

Couches are horrible for my back.

Yea I hear you. I have mostly the same symptoms. I like sitting in the recliner. Not up right, slouched down. Ice helps too...Man it hurts to ice when its cold outside! There's a good stretch I found on you tube....I will try to find it and post the link for you. It has helped me a lot. I do it in between squat and dead lift sets.

I'm learning none of the treatments will fix the back 100%, but if each exercise can help 8%....after a while it ads up and the pain gets better.

midevil

midevil

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 20, 2011
bro I would listen to what your dr's and or chiroprctors recommend. Spine issues are not to be played with and are very serious. I don't think going with some internet opinions is the way to go when you consider the risk in not having or having surgery.

Leave it to the experts to help you decide...not an internet forum...

good luck.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic