Members
Latest Member
arcticranger

Back surgery, good idea ?

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hey everyone, just wanted to get some opinions.

Ill go back to where my injury occurred.

2010.... Before I started training for strength as a primary goal.

I was warming up with smith machine squats. I had 275 on the bar and un racked the weight by twisting the bar back. As soon as I did this I felt this SHARP pain in my lower back. I thought it was a muscle pull. I couldn't hardly walk afterward. I had to walk very slowly to the car.

So I just stopped working out for a week because I thought I pulled my lower back muscle. A month later I had to have sinus surgery. About 2 weeks before surgery, I was on prednisone. So my back pain sub sided. I didn't think anything of it, I just thought it wasn't pulled anymore. So after that no more back pain. Basically because I stopped lifting due to some anxiety issues.

So fast forward to 2011. Around July of last year. I was dead lifting in the gym. Going for 455, which I had done a couple times. I was really straining while pulling 455, the. I feel a crack in my lower back.

So this time I go to the dr and get an MRI. It's a bulging disc in my L5/S1

So I go to physical therapy, that helps. Go back to dead lifting, back cracks again and I'm in less pain than before but uncomfortable.

So now, I'm still havng pain. I do a lot of ab and lower back work now. But the pain is uncomfortable.

Will I be able to dead lift 455 again? I've learned to get tight by pressing out on my stomach while squatting and dead lifting.

Has anyone had back surgery? What is the success rate? Will you re injure the area by pulling and straining again?

I know a lot of pro strong men and power lifters have back pain. I do decompression, and stretch.

Actually squatting and dead lifting make the pain stop.

Not sure what to do. I'm 26

Any opinions?

Thanks everyone

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
Question is it a disc bulge or herniation? If its just a bulge surgery is not an option.

In 2011 it was bulging. I had a recent MRI, probably in early November I think. I decided not to follow through. So I don't know the results. I'm gonna call Monday see if I can find out the results of the MRI

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
So why were you warming up with 275 on smith machine? Don't you think that's a little heavy for a warm up no matter how strong you are. As for the back problem I have no comment as I don't know.

DF

DF

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2012
It is best to exhaust all conservative methods before you'd even consider surgery. Look into Chiropractic, massage, PT, inversion table ect.... If there is no herniation there is no surgical option. You can check out the link that I posted above about disc herniation.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
So why were you warming up with 275 on smith machine? Don't you think that's a little heavy for a warm up no matter how strong you are. As for the back problem I have no comment as I don't know.

That was my last warm up. My warm up was: the bar, 135, 225, then 275.

It is best to exhaust all conservative methods before you'd even consider surgery. Look into Chiropractic, massage, PT, inversion table ect.... If there is no herniation there is no surgical option. You can check out the link that I posted above about disc herniation.

Thanks man! I'm gonna check it out.

I read ART is supposed to be good too. But insurance probably doesn't cover it.

Are you a Pysical Therapist if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I've lived with bulging L3,L4, and herniated L5,S1 since I was 18. Rest is the best thing that has ever worked for my pain and I don't go heavy on deads. Rest means months off for the body part. You can consider an epidural as well. I'm a surgical candidate but success rate for surgery is around half and they say to not lift for your excersise and do cardio. Wtf.

Turbolag

Turbolag

Oct 14, 2012
I've lived with bulging L3,L4, and herniated L5,S1 since I was 18. Rest is the best thing that has ever worked for my pain and I don't go heavy on deads. Rest means months off for the body part. You can consider an epidural as well. I'm a surgical candidate but success rate for surgery is around half and they say to not lift for your excersise and do cardio. Wtf.

I had a shot, it helped some. But Idk if I'm gonna do another one. Doing low back and ab work helps.

I just have to remember to tighten up before I lift.

Idk, I really don't wanna have surgery. I'm concerned that if the disc is removed, that side could be a weak point, and I'd just re rupture it.

Sorry to hear about your back man.

How did you hurt it if you don't mind me asking?

P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
I had a job during college loading the 25 foot trailers for a major carrier. Quota and volume over time destroyed my back. They hired the best shaped young guys they could find. Worst job choice I ever did. Once the back became symptomatic it was to late. I worked one week while in pain and probably screwed up even more because I was to young to realize what a spinal injury was.

Sleep with a pillow between your legs at night and baby the back. Like you said, work core lightly. With luck you'll hold off symptoms for until your 40s. I rehabbed well but every decade the back becomes more symptomatic. Feels like an 80yo back to me unfortunately. Definitely my weakness.

Last edited:
P

prime

TID Board Of Directors
Dec 31, 2011
Are you having sciatica? I'm assuming so.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic