Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

Article - "Speed Lifter vs. Grinder – Which Are You & What Do You Need To Improve?"

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Since the issue of speed/explosiveness came up in the other thread where that 495lb deadlift got pulled faster than I could pause the video mid-rep, I thought I'd see if anyone had any opinions/thoughts on this article that I read the other day by Brian Carroll called "Speed Lifter vs. Grinder – Which Are You & What Do You Need To Improve?" (link).

Admittedly, there is an element of over-generalizing (to which he admits), so there's a lot of gray area here in terms of whether a lifter is a "speed" type or a "grinder" type, but I thought at the very least it was insightful to some extent.

For example, the criteria he provides does seem to fit me in the "speed" type.

Anyways, aside from your opinions on the "speed" and "grinder" label, what do you think of his suggestions on what lifters who are of one particular type should/can work on in order to improve?

It seems to me that speed work has never really done that much for me (and I never really feel as fatigued/depleted/adequately-trained after doing 10-12 sets of speed lifts in the optimal range like other people I know seem to feel), and so, if Brian's thinking is correct, it's because I don't have a deficit in the speed/explosive part of my lift. I'm trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing. And that maybe utilizing more chains/bands that creates an experience in which I need to grind through a rep (perhaps in some assistance work) might be better suited for me?

Last edited:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I would just say training a weakNess is more valuable than training your strengths.

If you are fast then spend some time at high intensities and learn how to grind (which btw is what you will be doing).

I would add that I don't know where I am. My squats are slow and I can grind like hell. On a 585 for a triple once the third rep took like 15 seconds lol

But my bench and deadlift are fast.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
15 secs for a squat... damn... I think I'd do some hip circle walking, some glute bridges, and some shoulder mobility work while you're finishing that rep. lol

I'm def not a grinder and I need to work on those reps to work that which is why I'm thinking of tweaking my main lift where I add fatigue drop sets after my higher %'s. That'll allow me to work on grinding out more reps.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Grinder in part because I'm careful making sure I don't rip

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
15 secs for a squat... damn... I think I'd do some hip circle walking, some glute bridges, and some shoulder mobility work while you're finishing that rep. lol

I'm def not a grinder and I need to work on those reps to work that which is why I'm thinking of tweaking my main lift where I add fatigue drop sets after my higher %'s. That'll allow me to work on grinding out more reps.

At some point BI you need to just let me run your training for a while. I ran sst after all...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Grinder in part because I'm careful making sure I don't rip

Thats funny...

Truth is I don't think you have really hit a weight you have needed to grind thru. Your speed is mental really.

Also as an aside (not addressing you bull) I have mostly abandoned speed work. I am pretty much ready to declare it relatively useless for raw lifters. And even more so it's detrimental as the plyometrics are brutal on the joints.

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Thats funny...

Truth is I don't think you have really hit a weight you have needed to grind thru. Your speed is mental really.

Also as an aside (not addressing you bull) I have mostly abandoned speed work. I am pretty much ready to declare it relatively useless for raw lifters. And even more so it's detrimental as the plyometrics are brutal on the joints.

Is plyometrics like box jumps? I was told that would totally destroy me.

ajdonutz

ajdonutz

VIP Member
May 23, 2012
I'm definitely a grinder. Its odd to me to see speed lifters. I have a buddy who is insanely explosive. Everything is so fast but when he gets stuck on a rep he has no push to get past it he just fails. Crazy how different we can be.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
At some point BI you need to just let me run your training for a while. I ran sst after all...

I wouldn't mind letting go of the reins... I just don't have any funds to spare at the moment with everything that's happened this year.

ChrisLindsay9

ChrisLindsay9

MuscleHead
Jun 17, 2013
Is plyometrics like box jumps? I was told that would totally destroy me.
Box jumps are a plyometric exercise. Basically any exercise in which your muscles exert a lot of energy in a short interval of time is a plyometric exercise that should improve your power (strength+speed). The only examples that come to mind are variations of jumping, but I'm sure there are some that don't involve the legs?

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Box jumps, depth jumps, jump squats, etc... are all plyo.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic