Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
RalfKelleh

Article - "Speed Lifter vs. Grinder – Which Are You & What Do You Need To Improve?"

A

aperry580

Oct 1, 2015
Its funny cause I grind on bench which is by far my best lift but im super explosive on squats and deads to the point I have to be careful the bar doesn't come off my back at the top of squat reps

A

aperry580

Oct 1, 2015
bench throw on a smith I guess that's plyo

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Box jumps are a plyometric exercise. Basically any exercise in which your muscles exert a lot of energy in a short interval of time is a plyometric exercise that should improve your power (strength+speed). The only examples that come to mind are variations of jumping, but I'm sure there are some that don't involve the legs?

Benching with like 50% 1rm and band tension is. Wrecks elbows and shoulders.

woodswise

woodswise

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 29, 2012
Im a grinder too. Even when my coach has me do speed work, compared to him I am in slow motion . . .

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I don't give speed work too much thought anymore. If you're talking to a few high-level strength coaches on the topic, it seems as though speed work might be on its way out for athletes. There are several in the fellow strength coaches who are also dropping the idea of it, especially after seeing the effects of slower and controlled movements and how they saw improvement in the 40 and other drills.

The conclusion was that the theory just does not translate to real world like we thought it did years ago.

It would be helpful if one of these guys would post on this board, but he's not as active on the forums anymore. He has a very long history of high level powerlifting and strength training. For those of you who might know him, it's BigTex.

I'll see if I can dig something up though

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
Thats funny...

Truth is I don't think you have really hit a weight you have needed to grind thru. Your speed is mental really.

Also as an aside (not addressing you bull) I have mostly abandoned speed work. I am pretty much ready to declare it relatively useless for raw lifters. And even more so it's detrimental as the plyometrics are brutal on the joints.

i believe speed work as Louie does it is like you said, worthless for raw lifters. The percentages he uses are too low for maximum force production and little does it help with rate of force development also.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
in the fellow strength coaches who are also dropping the idea of it, especially after seeing the effects of slower and controlled movements and how they saw improvem 40 and other drills

That was supposed to be NFL. Using speak to text and its failing me today

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic