Members
Latest Member
angelarbatt
What's New?

Anybody Do FRONT SQUATS?

S

simonjpa

Sep 10, 2010
Anyone here liking doing front squats? I think its going to be my primary quad movement from now on. I find in conventional squats, I feel it more in my hips and hamstrings and glutes more than the quads. Front squats are all quads for me! I have only been doing them for about 6 months but Im really liking the positive resutls so far.

If anyone is getting bored with back squats, give front squats a try, gives you an awesome pump and is great for the abs having to stabilise the bar on the delts/collarbones.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
You've never looked in my training journal. To answer your question.... yes.

And if you're going to do front squats do them correctly which means DON'T cross your arms bbing style. Instead, perform them Oly style. You'll squat more which means bigger quads (as long as you feed them).

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I love front squats. Haven't done them in a while because I've been focusing on box squatting more. However, I disagree about the quad involvement in a back squat. My quads are growing just fine without doing front squats or any "quad-centric" type leg routine. I just squat heavy and explosively.

Zomb131

Zomb131

MuscleHead
Jan 31, 2011
I do quads 2x/week. And front squats is usually one of those days. I can typically do 365lbs x 4-5 ass-to-ankles.

55markmartin

Sep 29, 2012
You are a animal lol. I do 125x5 but love them. I do them after back squats.

F

Fury

MuscleHead
Jun 6, 2012
Yep do them always.nothing heavy but I go deep ass to the ground.

J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
I do not post here much but i just started front squats as a supplamental lift to back squats so i do both in the same workout but at bout 2-3 sets at 15-20 reps, and they are killer!

I actually purchased some front squat items from manta ray that sit on ur shoulders and clip into the bar so the bar does not roll around and squash the crap out of my shoulders since mone are shit! Give these a shot, they are nice!!http://www.prowriststraps.com/sting_ray_manta_ray_front_rear_squat_support_harness

I got both for front and back squats and i love them!

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I do front and back squats every week. For those that don't know me to well my back is a mess and has been for quite some time. I was told not to squat or DL anymore. Ya, whatever :rolleyes:

I go light for reps. I like to keep it interesting so I've been using the smith for front jumps. I don't go past a plate and a 10 on each side which is 135 on the smith. It's a bit more difficult then it sounds and will have yo ass winded.

Last week I decided to keep it interesting and started supersetting goodmornings with front and back squats. Sounds even harder but by doing the GM's first and getting a good stretch on the hammys, I'm jumping higher on the fronts, getting in more reps (rest/pause) and more power coming out of the hole. I'm always ass to the grass. No excuses on that when going light.

Don't know if I would suggest the superset for someone going heavy as all the strength is going to be needed for the squat but perhaps a light set might do a little good.

HDH

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
If you can't front squat properly b/c you lack wrist flexibility (and you don't work on it) you should perform them this way. You don't need a manta ray, clips, or anything else other than a pair of straps.

Here's how you should perform them if you can't perform them Oly style using your wrists (and that's 500lbs and he weighs 215lbs):

And if you work on your wrist flexibility you can do them just like this (and that's 440lbs on the bar and he weighs 153lbs):

Last edited by a moderator:
J

J2048b

MuscleHead
Jul 2, 2012
NICE brotherIron! i will try straps then and see how i like them!

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
NICE brotherIron! i will try straps then and see how i like them!

I can gurantee you'll like them a lot. If you want to front squat big numbers (400+lbs) you have to drop the bullshit bber style. I never front squatted 300lbs when I used to perform them crossed arms bber style. Now I can front squat 440lbs and I'm working on getting 495lbs. That'll translate to bigger conventional deadlifts and a bigger back squat.

Crossed arms style of front squatting is flawed in it's set up. It's very difficult to keep a serious arch in your lower back and it's to easy to round your upper back and dump the bar out in front. It's also a recipe for an injury.

Give the Oly style a try and you won't be disappointed.

MightyMouse719

MightyMouse719

National Champion & VIP Member
Jul 8, 2011
I don't like them, but I do them.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic