Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Another bullshit study??

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
The American Council on Exercise hooked subjects up to electromyography equipment, which measures specific muscles that "turn on" during exercise, and had them perform 13 popular ab exercises.

WINNER: Bicycle crunches.. Ya know, where you crunch and bring your right elbow to your left knees then your left elbow to your knee

Bullshit!

HisAngriness

HisAngriness

Fancypants VIP
Mar 23, 2011
hahaha I'm gonna do a study on how many studies have been done to contradict other studies

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
I wouldn't do that pussy exercise no matter what.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I like how louis simmons addresses ab exercises... SOmething to the effect that if you're laying on your back, that means you're probably going to the hospital. Do your ab training standing up. Band crunches etc...

kbordner

kbordner

VIP Pops
Dec 18, 2012
I like how louis simmons addresses ab exercises... SOmething to the effect that if you're laying on your back, that means you're probably going to the hospital. Do your ab training standing up. Band crunches etc...

Agree with Lou...standing band crunches or kneeling rope crunches. Period

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Might not be too far off, actually.

I am a huge advocate of core movements that don't involve a sitting up movement. Sit ups are mostly hips, crunches lack intensity etc. bicycle crunches would take a crunch and increase the intensity, correcting its weakness.

My my biggest question is, what other exercises did they include? Some exercises hit back as well and would clearly make it superior; deads, ab wheel, hanging leg raises etc would be superior imo

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
Just as information on the internet is of a poor quality; full of bias, misinformation and opinion, some studies are quality some are not. Once you learn how to read them it becomes easy to see what is a quality study and to pick out any shortcomings or problems. Most people don't actually read the study - they just rely on the media reporting which is often sensational and inaccurate.

Learn how to read them. Read as many as you can on a given topic or at least read a high quality systematic review. In order to know a topic one must have some first hand experience AND know what the literature says.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
Just as information on the internet is of a poor quality; full of bias, misinformation and opinion, some studies are quality some are not. Once you learn how to read them it becomes easy to see what is a quality study and to pick out any shortcomings or problems. Most people don't actually read the study - they just rely on the media reporting which is often sensational and inaccurate.

Learn how to read them. Read as many as you can on a given topic or at least read a high quality systematic review. In order to know a topic one must have some first hand experience AND know what the literature says.

I think most of us are aware of all of this. He was simply pointing out how silly they get.

Several years ago, EMG was huge in research for bodybuilding. I thought some of it was good info, because even though it was partly inconclusive, it was at least another piece of the puzzle.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I think most of us are aware of all of this. He was simply pointing out how silly they get.

Several years ago, EMG was huge in research for bodybuilding. I thought some of it was good info, because even though it was partly inconclusive, it was at least another piece of the puzzle.

My apologies I didn't mean to sound condescending. My comments weren't really directed at the op. I have seen a disturbing trend of people dismissing all studies on the basis that so many are shit. I want to encourage people to seek out as much information as possible. Again I don't mean to sound arrogant (I posted up elsewhere that I am nobody special at all), I just have a passionate dislike of ill informed debate.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
My apologies I didn't mean to sound condescending. My comments weren't really directed at the op. I have seen a disturbing trend of people dismissing all studies on the basis that so many are shit. I want to encourage people to seek out as much information as possible. Again I don't mean to sound arrogant (I posted up elsewhere that I am nobody special at all), I just have a passionate dislike of ill informed debate.

I understand. There is another board I post on that someone posts up a bunch of studies at random and never makes any comments or follow up replies. A majority of the studies and articles she posts are complete garbage and I started calling her out on it. What's even more annoying is, she doenst really participate in any of the other discussions either, so she's not contributing anything worth reading.

For instance, she posted an article that said weight lifting was linked to aortic dissection. LMAO!! Thats an extremely rare occurrence that isn't linked to any particular activity at all. It just happens. Most people are at rest when it happens, yet she somehow thought it would be a good read for us.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I understand. There is another board I post on that someone posts up a bunch of studies at random and never makes any comments or follow up replies. A majority of the studies and articles she posts are complete garbage and I started calling her out on it. What's even more annoying is, she doenst really participate in any of the other discussions either, so she's not contributing anything worth reading.

For instance, she posted an article that said weight lifting was linked to aortic dissection. LMAO!! Thats an extremely rare occurrence that isn't linked to any particular activity at all. It just happens. Most people are at rest when it happens, yet she somehow thought it would be a good read for us.

Gee I wonder how they linked that to weight lifting. Blood pressure maybe? But yes randomly posting studies is not contributing at all.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic