TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
IMG_4522.jpg

“Courage allows the successful woman to fail-

and learn powerful lessons-

from the failure-

so that in the end,

she didn't fail at all.” Maya Angelo

part of this journal will be a quote and my ponderings on it. those who know me know that i like to ramble on about things. :)

one of the hardest lessons i have learned in life is to not let failure stop me. i am a prideful person and when i fail, it hurts my pride greatly! humility is a hard lesson learned but one that i have found to yield far greater results than a rise in my pride!

about a year ago i attended a meeting on external fixators. the speaker was a well known small animal orthopedic surgeon who had a private surgical pratice in colorado. he gave his lecture and showed slides and at the end of the lecture he showed slides of repairs that had gone wrong and the reason behind them. he said that after every repair he goes over the xrays and finds atleast three things that he could have done better. maybe better placement of a pin or more screws or a different angle. regardless of how well it looked, he critiqued it and made mental notes of how to do it better. his reasoning for this was very profound. he did it because he wanted to always be improving and if things did go wrong, he would be prepared and know what to not do the next time. instead of making an excuse for a potential failure, he prepared for it!

what a great lesson that is for all of us! we should not be afraid of failure but rather we should take it in stride and allow it to make us stronger and better! instead of allowing ourselves to be defeated, use it to achieve greater things, to make us try harder! dont make excuses but rather stop and learn and in the end be better because of it!

Last edited:
jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
I agree 100% no looking back now. We cant change the past but we do create the future!!!!

letigre

letigre

Sep 24, 2011
my children are everything to me. i never wanted children and emma kind of came along unplanned but i am so blessed that God knew better than i did! they make my life exponentially better and everything i do each day is done with them in mind. i gave up my mobile large animal practice to build a clinic so that i could be available to them as being on the road 16 hrs a day was alright when they were babies but they had gotten old enough to need mamma with them more. why have children if you arent going to raise them and teach them and lead by example. they are my biggest success!

That's beautiful! I'm very undecided about children, at the moment I'm leaving it up to fate. Your post makes me realize that everything happens for a reason (damn cliche! but very true I feel) and that parenthood can be very fulfilling even if you didn't think you wanted it.

I like children, I just don't know if I can dedicate my life to them the way I think being a good and loving parent requires.

Also, congrats on all your progress! You are crazy strong lady! And your back development is phenomenal!

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I agree 100% no looking back now. We cant change the past but we do create the future!!!!
indeed!

That's beautiful! I'm very undecided about children, at the moment I'm leaving it up to fate. Your post makes me realize that everything happens for a reason (damn cliche! but very true I feel) and that parenthood can be very fulfilling even if you didn't think you wanted it.

I like children, I just don't know if I can dedicate my life to them the way I think being a good and loving parent requires.

Also, congrats on all your progress! You are crazy strong lady! And your back development is phenomenal!

if you like children you are way ahead of me! i dont like them at all! but there is something about a baby growing inside of you and knowing that you are making it that changes everything. i became very maternal with my two babies. even today, they are so much a part of me and my life. and i love them so much that it physically hurts sometimes. that being said, i still cant stand anyone elses babies. dont like to hold them or mess with them.

it is hard work but the absolutely most rewarding job that a woman can do! if you decide to have one, you wont regret it as long as you are in a position in life to take care of one. i didnt have my first one until i was 32. i had been practicing for 8 yrs and was secure financially and i think that makes a huge difference! i tell all the youngsters that work for me to wait until they are solidly in their career before having babies! you get to appreciate them on a whole different level!

im blessed to have some decent genetics and to have been raised on a farm and to have a job that requires me to lift and manuever animals so it kept me with some muscle even though i didnt workout for 16 years.

IronInsanity

IronInsanity

TID Board Of Directors
May 3, 2011
I like the new format ATW.

what a great lesson that is for all of us! we should not be afraid of failure but rather we should take it in stride and allow it to make us stronger and better! instead of allowing ourselves to be defeated, use it to achieve greater things, to make us try harder! dont make excuses but rather stop and learn and in the end be better because of it!

These are words of wisdom. In every failure, our most important job is to identify the role we played in it and find a way to make ourselves better. Society is filled with unsuccessful people who blame others for all of life's problems. A successful person will take the ownership of the situation, no matter how hard, process it, and make themselves better.

Excellent writings.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
I like the new format ATW.

These are words of wisdom. In every failure, our most important job is to identify the role we played in it and find a way to make ourselves better. Society is filled with unsuccessful people who blame others for all of life's problems. A successful person will take the ownership of the situation, no matter how hard, process it, and make themselves better.

Excellent writings.
thanks II.

i keep trying to get wiser as i get older. the other option is not so good.

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
it was so hard to get out of bed this morning. had dinner at some friends and then an emergency afterwards. an 11 year old basset that was listless. blood work was pretty normal and they didnt have any idea what was wrong with it as it had seemed normal around noon. there was bleeding from the penis and the rectum and i picked up its back leg and bones crunched. it had a fractured tibia. the owners had no idea what had happened as the dog was tied up in the back yard because they are having a fence redone and so its normal area is open. they left it overnight to decide what they wanted to do in regards to have it fixed or to euthanize it.

this morning they called and apparently the driver of the block truck was unloading the block and caught the dogs chain in the tire and drug it 30 ft. when he stopped he picked up the dog and laid it by the dog house and got back on the forklift and reversed catching the chain again and dragging it again another 30 ft backwards. what a retard! anyway we had a very full surgery schedule plus that fracture repair so no noon time workout.

effiel.jpg
efiel1.jpg
efiel2.jpg

the fracture repair went well and i am pleased with how well it reduced. the old dog is trying to walk and is drinking and being as normal as an old dog with a broken leg can be. :)

the afternoon has been busy. the one thing about friday afternoons is nobody pretty much wants to be here so we do a lot of exams in the back :) mercy and i got to lay down on the surgery table for a few minutes. she atleast got a nap even though i didnt!

mercy.jpg

i dont think im going to go workout tonight. im so very tired and my joints hurt and so im going to whine and make excuses and give the arms a day off. maybe i will go tomorrow before zacs soccer game, maybe :D

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
IMG_4532.jpg

“It is our attitude at the beginning of a difficult undertaking which, more than anything else, will determine its successful outcome.” William James

when we prepare ourselves to fail, we will fail. how do we do that? we doubt our abilities, we doubt the circumstances, we doubt those around us. my last real goal for the year is to pull 350# on my deads. now some might think this is no big deal but for me, i have only been doing deads for this year and when i started i was happy and suprised when i pulled 225# it has been a year of dead discovery for me :) at first i just wanted 315# because 6 plates is pretty cool but when that was achieved i wanted more so i picked the random number of 350#. why? because i felt it was an attainable goal and something that i could work up to naturally. yep, natural. as i have thought of trying to achieve this over the summer i have been strongly tempted to run a cycle of var. in fact, i had a bottle of 25mg var from years ago when i ordered it for someones horse and they never came and got it. i was very tempted to start taking it and in fact i took it for about 5 days the first of july. the problem, i did not like the sides at that dose, even after just such a few days. the water retention was almost instant, the sore boobs and other such sides, just not worth it to me. so i dropped it and ran a cycle of clen at a low dose for a month and got some good strength gains and was able to get 340# pulled. this month i have been increasing the calories :eek: and am going to start clen tomorrow with hopes that i can get 350# pulled by the end of the month. (to remove the temptation of the var from the equation i gave it to a client for their show dog, a story for another time)

now i dont write about the var to get suggestions on it. i certainly could order 5mg so that i didnt have the sides but the fact of the matter is im damn near 40 years old and there is no reason for me to do it. im not competing in anything nor do i have any plans to and so i figure being stronger would probably just end up making me hurt myself and i dont need that.

i am going to go into the 350# pull with the mindset that i will achieve it. afterall, it is only 10# more than 340# and i am consuming much more food and getting very fluffy so i should be physically prepared :) if success is in how we approach it, then i am good to go! just dont look too hard at my pics and the fluffiness over the next few weeks :eek:

jandj0821

jandj0821

VIP Member
Jul 7, 2011
You got it ATW! by the way almost 40 isn't old girl!! Lol

Great write up

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
Been hectic around here lately. Im liking the new log thus far. Ill be following for sure. your looking great too.

sassy69

sassy69

TID Lady Member
Aug 16, 2011
Age is a state of mind. I'm 46 and didnt' start competing until I was 35. However I started lifting when I was 15 and everyone else around me was doing "Jane Fonda". One of my dear friends is 56 and up until some family stuff got in the way, she was competing very strongly at the national level in amateur FBB. She looks amazing and is amazing.

If it helps at all, I would tell you to go after those big lifts NOW. I've had spats of tendonitis since 1992, but it really wasn't until this past year that Iv'e really noticed wear & tear issues. Before I started the cut for my last competition a year ago, I was still pushing 1000 lb on the leg press, vertical presses > 600 lb, my best box squat was 315, DB rowing 140's and good solid rack pulls of 345. At the moment, I need to do 20 min of warmup just to feel remotely positive that my knees wont' just buckle on a bodywt squat. Once I get stuff lined up, however, I'm pretty good. Just going for much lighter weight, but pretty respectable reps as I'm trying to downsize on a restrictive diet. Most of my friends, as well, are still pretty strong into their 40s but around 45 is when shit starts to really show the wear & tear.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic