Members
Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Aerobic vs anaerobic for fat loss

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
Answer me this: Which is more affective for losing fat ? Running on a treadmill for 30 minutes at a steady pace or hitting the free weights for 30 minutes ?

Considerations: A long distance runner will run for hours on end at a steady pace, day after day in training for hours of long distance running. A sprinter will train with heavy free weights using short but intense bursts of energy in training to run for less than 20 seconds per race.

Who holds less fat ? Is it the long distance runner or the sprinter ?

SHINE

Friends Remembered
Oct 11, 2010
Alot depends on Genetic-predisposistion of each individual.

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
Alot depends on Genetic-predisposistion of each individual.

I couldn't agree more.. fast/slow twitch fibres etc. Having said this I think you have to take alot of other factors into consideration and on the topic of genetics we can go back to out very very primitive times when we would have to walk long distances to travel, it would make no sense for our bodies to burn our richest source of energy (especially for women who bear children) when we are expected to continue travelling at a steady pace for a prolonged period of time. Now lets looks at anaerobic exercise and perhaps 1 training principle, the HIT principle (i could mention several others but i will use this as an example). We are using every last bit of energy we have to perform heavy sets of say benchpress, barbell curls or whatever the exercise... it is not neccasarily in doing this HIT training itself we are burning strictly fat, but the amount of energy required will encourage our bodies to use our richest source of energy due to trauma caused to our muscle fibres during the training... then lets not forget about DOM (delayed onset muscle soreness), we are also using energy to repair our bodies from the trauma for (in some cases) days to come.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
HIIT beats both though low intensity steady state still has a pace especially during peak week. The lifting session would depend on % Vo2Max we were talking about and the rest intervals, it's the increased fat oxidization after the fact that makes the difference.
this. Nothing has ever worked as good as 10min of hiit then a 10 min low intensity and finish with a 10 min hiit session. And if you don't throw up every now and then you aren't doing it right.

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
this. Nothing has ever worked as good as 10min of hiit then a 10 min low intensity and finish with a 10 min hiit session. And if you don't throw up every now and then you aren't doing it right.

Absolutely, this almost echoes the Fartlek training principle and definately works ! At the end of the day, the aim is to trick the body in to letting go of our richest and most dense source of energy (fat) :)

Throwing up is almost a must every time !!! lol

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
You don't "trick" the body, at all times you are using multiple substrates for energy, the goal is to increase baseline energy expenditure, therefore increasing fat loss, as fat use as energy is preferred over muscle tissue and glycogen over fat it's not hard to figure out how this works. EPOC is a wonderful thing. The body needs to replenish glycogen (im simplifying as it accounts for cell repair etc.)just in case you need to run away from something....like a bear....or today's version, a BrotherIron.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
..........just in case you need to run away from something....like a bear....or today's version, a BrotherIron.

LOL.... ass.

Nut is very right though. I like to perform this by sled pulls, stadiums, hill sprints, etc b/c there's always something bigger out there and I don't want to get eaten either. lol

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
You don't "trick" the body, at all times you are using multiple substrates for energy, the goal is to increase baseline energy expenditure, therefore increasing fat loss, as fat use as energy is preferred over muscle tissue and glycogen over fat it's not hard to figure out how this works. EPOC is a wonderful thing. The body needs to replenish glycogen (im simplifying as it accounts for cell repair etc.)just in case you need to run away from something....like a bear....or today's version, a BrotherIron.

I use the word 'trick' as a simplified version of everything you said rather than getting into the semantics. I'm always more than happy to talk about glycogenesis/glucogenesis and the entire endocrine system as i have worked as an understudy with a national authority in endocrinology but i grow tired of everything becoming a competition of who can use the more technical references. My personal goal is to simplify how things work and get the information across in the simplest most basic form without having to bamboozle people with jargon. Ask 100 regular people who want to lose fat about glycogen and 90% will stare blankly at you, its about adapting to a broader audience and making the information easy to understand.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
I know the members here pretty well so I cater to them. I don't think anything I said was technical jargon, it was actually simplified but not overly simplified, to a level that I think explains what is happening to hopefully give those interested a good level of understanding without being too simple or too complex. It's not a competition, I do feel the members here on average are brighter than the typical gym goer and don't need the hand holding I may need to provide to some.

JTruthNutrition

JTruthNutrition

Jan 19, 2012
I know the members here pretty well so I cater to them. I don't think anything I said was technical jargon, it was actually simplified but not overly simplified, to a level that I think explains what is happening to hopefully give those interested a good level of understanding without being too simple or too complex. It's not a competition, I do feel the members here on average are brighter than the typical gym goer and don't need the hand holding I may need to provide to some.

I am relatively new to this forum and i am used to dealing with people who lack knowledge on what you or me may call the basics. I meant no offence, i guess its just finding the right balance without coming across too complex for the beginner and too simple for the advanced.

NutNut

NutNut

MuscleHead
Jul 25, 2011
No offense taken, I understand the quandary that is nutrition literature writing..

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic