Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Accupuncture for pain relief

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
I just recently got an Lumbar MRI and I have 4 ruptured discs. Don't really need surgery according to my chiropractor because the pain is localized to my back and not going down my legs or anything like that but the pain is getting to me.

Looking at all options right now and was wondering who has used accupuncture for pain relief and did it work or did it not work.

My issue is my age (53) and I may not need the surgery now but if I wait and something happens in 7-10 years and they tell me you HAVE to have surgery now and I'll be that much older and probably be more of a risk due to my age.

So looking for some input on accupuncture and the results people have gotten or not gotten using it.

Been 6 weeks out of the gym and its driving me nuts. So any input would be apreciated.

Thanks in advance.

T

Torres

MuscleHead
Sep 16, 2013
I go to the chiropractor every few weeks for maintenance . After he does his adjustments, he does acupuncture to my face to stimulate my nerves , long story short, had and accident and have numbness in some parts , and I have to say it helps with that stimulation I need . It gives me such a sense of well being , also helps w/ sleep .
As far as pain management , I have had bad tennis elbow from weight lifting and I did have him try acupuncture for pain relief but didn't really feel much of anything .
Now with the back problem u have , acupuncture may be something u want to try . I new someone who had herniated discs that did it and found much relief , so give it a shot !!!
Anything is better than pain killers and surgery if u can help it .
Good luck brother , I hope it helps u , it has me !!!

myosaurus

myosaurus

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 21, 2010
avoid surgery. I've never seen any successful back surgery cases where they remained pain free, usually ended up in pain pills addiction.

Ironmike72

Ironmike72

Aug 13, 2012
I had a client with a foot issue facia-??? It was from running she would get unbearable pain in the bottom of her foot. She claims acupuncture is the only thing that has helped so far... Far cry from a back issue! However hope it helps

D

Dude

May 11, 2015
I hurt my back many years ago while working in Korea. I had some acupuncture done and it helped for the short term. I didn't know what to do. Then I took some vacation and went home to the States for about a month. While at home I saw a physical therapist and she should me some stretches I should be doing. It was a world of difference, I felt a whole lot better. The best stretch was laying on your stomach, keeping your hips on the floor, and raising your upper body with your hands placed out in front of you. Then you hold that position for about 20 to 30 seconds, then lower yourself down. Rest, then repeat. Each time you stretch move your hands closer to where your shoulders would be on the floor. Do this everyday and after a few weeks you should feel better. It'll take some time though. Don't do it if you feel pain while doing this. Take it a little at a time. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

Fork-Lift

Fork-Lift

MuscleHead
Jan 8, 2015
oh boy
my buddie kept throwing out his back and accupucuture was /is the only thing that worked for him. it eas to the point where he was bed ridden and couldnt walk or move. this is real deal

silntrunin

silntrunin

MuscleHead
Aug 30, 2011
Been avoiding surgery for about the past 16-17 years now. They wanted to fuse my spine and put titainium rods or some shit back then and I said **** that.
Been doing a lot of stretching and myofascial release for glutes, hips and lower back along with hitting some inversion everyday and its helped a lot. Funny how you don't realize how much mobility and flexibility you lose over the years from not stretching on a regular basis.

Still haven't gotten to an accupuncture treatment yet. It seems like its 50/50 some say yeah it worked great and others say it didn't help at all. But I guess its like anything else, everyone is different and responds to different things in different ways. Gonna keep doing what I'm doing for now since it seems to be helping, thanks for the input guys!

D

Dude

May 11, 2015
I've had acupuncture for my Bell's palsy for the past three months. It has done some improvement. I had up to 40 needles in me! She retired last week, so my next step is physical therapy.

Acupuncture does work though, and for many things too. It cost me $80 a visit. And our insurance did cover it, but we haven't met our deductable yet.

Goodluck

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
I feel for you back injuries suck. If I get an injury I go for dry needling instead of acupuncture. The same acupuncture needles are put into the trigger points instead of the acupuncture points. Trigger points are strongly associated with musculoskeletal pain. Acupuncture for pain has been well studied and has been shown to be no better than placebo. It will work if the practitioner knows how to look for and hit the trigger points. I would recommend you get the dry needling and some massage work and try to avoid the surgery. Do some secondary research on dry needling. Best of luck.

N

Neslon88

Sep 7, 2015
Yeah acupuncture is a holistic treatment to relief any kind of pain. It works so quickly and relieves the pain permanently. I am saying all this from my personal experience. Actually I have got this treatment at acupuncture meadowvale for my leg pain.

S

smash

Apr 30, 2013
http://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S0885-3924(08)00452-1/abstract

http://www.researchgate.net/profile...52_755-764/links/004635268b703595fc000000.pdf

Acute injuries can heal on their own since the body possesses the ability to heal itself and anything chronic tends to fluctuate in severity. This makes before and after subjective assessments inherently unreliable. That's where we need to look at whatever scientific research there is. Fortunately, a decent amount of research has been done on acupuncture and it does not beat placebo. Save your money.

Last edited:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic