Members
Latest Member
jacobss

5X5 Training Question

J

Joy

TID Lady Member
Nov 5, 2011
In June I am going to start working with a pl group. In the meantime I want to work out of the bodybuilding mentality and into the pl mentality, but I still want to gain some hypertrophy. Is this possible or is this the bber in me? I have good dl #’s, but shit on bench and I have completely stalled there, my squats continue to create strains and pains for me on my left side. Even so I still want to go into the group with some better #’s.

I was checking the 5x5 program, but when I plugged my #s into the Bill Starr 5x5 spreadsheet it came up with numbers that were lower that I can already do 5x5. For example, I can do 205 5x5. This sheet has me starting at 119 for 1st set and then only to 190 by the 5th set. Is this right? It shows by week 9 I will progress to 232. Well wth? I can most likely do that now if I put my ass into it. Is this really how it works or does it sound like a calculation might be screwy.

Dl: 205
Bench: 85
Squat: 135
BW: 120

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Hey Joy.

Some powerlifting programs have you start at around 70% and increase over a 10-15 week time frame.

It's to help keep your CNS from getting over worked.

I'm running 5/3/1 right now. And when I plugged the numbers in it has me going way below what I thought it would.

5X5 is a real popular method.

I started with a hybrid 5X5 for my first meet.

But it's good to train with numbers and % well below your max and gradually increase.

You can still get hyper trophy and gain size or maintain size.

Just my opinion and .02

Hope this helps!

If you want the hybrid I used pm me.

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Personally my bench numbers go up when I go lighter on squats and deads. Maybe lighter deads is just what you need.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Just wanted to add one more thing.

Joy, with the numbers being lower, use this as a chance to work on your speed. And be fast and explode out from the bottom.

This should help you as the weight increases.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic