Latest Member
SDUBUBLACK
What's New?

405 rest/pause bench at 205bw

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011
I have not maxed out benching in 9 months. Last sept I tried 405, (gym type lift, touch n go). I just barely missed it.

Since then I have decided to explore the possibility of competing in powerlifting. This necessitated a form change and adoption of a true 'rest/pause' form. I had never done this in the past and it's a pretty big switch over from touch and go's. (Humbling to say the least ;) )

I am just finishing 4 cycles of 5/3/1 and an estimated 1rm of 420, I figured I would have at least a true (rest pause) 405 single in me.

Got it without issue. I have no idea what I could touch-n-go now (maybe 15lbs more? Guys with more experience might know). I did not try to push any further. Very happy. This puts me one step closer to my goal to compete. (with a good total). I am going to continue training with the pause as it is more about doing 'legal' lifts to me at this point over 'big' lifts.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Ditch the flip flops so you can get some leg drive. Beastly bench, congrats.

FLEXjs

FLEXjs

MuscleHead
Apr 23, 2012
Nice bench.

I've been doing my singles the same way lately; slow descent, pause, press.

But I use about 100 lbs less than you.

Also I don't wear ghey-ass flip flops to the gym. :D

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013

Totally agree... dude thats a great bench with pretty mediocre form. If you learned to stay tight and use your legs I bet you have another 25lbs in you easy. You're going to be a beast once you commit to PLing.... impressive bench bro.

MaxSeg

MaxSeg

MuscleHead
Aug 23, 2012
Congrats Brother, good words of advice from Jdub. I second what he mentioned.

Halo

Halo

VIP Member
Jul 5, 2011
You pretty much smashed that thing nice full pause and clean press with flip flops :) Wondering how much more you have, I'm guessing you have lots more keep it up!

big_paul_ski

big_paul_ski

MuscleHead
Dec 13, 2010
Great lift brother. Piece of cake.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Wow man.

Congrats on 405. :cool:

macgyver

macgyver

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 24, 2011

Thanks man. I know I have A LOT to learn. I spent the last 4 months concentrating on my deadlift technique and it really paid off. I know I dont know crap about proper bench form.

I have seen the vids by Tate (So you think you can bench) on Youtube. Any other resources you can recommend?

Thanks for the support and help.

Nice bench.

I've been doing my singles the same way lately; slow descent, pause, press.

But I use about 100 lbs less than you.

Also I don't wear ghey-ass flip flops to the gym. :D

Yea....flip flops are ghey...but they sure are comfortable. I agree though, they have no place when I am trying to push maximal weights.

Totally agree... dude thats a great bench with pretty mediocre form. If you learned to stay tight and use your legs I bet you have another 25lbs in you easy. You're going to be a beast once you commit to PLing.... impressive bench bro.

Thanks. Time to get honed up on benching properly for sure. I know I dont know much of anything when it comes to powerlifting. I have just always done what I felt I needed to lift or squat the weight. Having just experienced improving my deads by some simple form changes, I know there is some left untapped in my bench and squat. Being 40, I feel it might take a while to break old habits, but it is never too late to lean.

Congrats Brother, good words of advice from Jdub. I second what he mentioned.

Thanks

You pretty much smashed that thing nice full pause and clean press with flip flops :) Wondering how much more you have, I'm guessing you have lots more keep it up!

I hope I can learn over time to make myself more competitive. I know I have a lot to learn.

Great lift brother. Piece of cake.

Thanks big guy!

Wow man.

Congrats on 405. :cool:

Thank you!

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
BI beat me to it. get some decent shoes. Nice job. Whats with the T 111 paneling on the walls lol.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
Very nice lift bro!! I've never gotten four wheels before, and had always hoped I'd get it. I'm not pushing the heavy weights too much any more, so I'm likely gonna stay put in the 300s somewhere. Very nice work!

I probably don't pause quite that long when I lift heavy, but I sure do bring it down slowly like you did. Going any faster just seems like any easy way to injure yourself.

J-dub

J-dub

MuscleHead
Feb 16, 2013
Tates vids are a good place to start but really I'd find someone who can walk you through it and watch your form. There's a huge laundry list of stuff to remember when learning to bench so it's best to start with the biggest problems and work from there. It's kind of like a golf swing you can't tell someone to fix 5 things at once and expect it to work. You have no issues with strength so it's time to focus on form. I like to start with the traps and work my way down when I'm teaching someone to bench but it's pretty hard to explain in detail on a forum. I'd learn to drive your traps into the bench, then how to lower the bar with your lats, then learn the bar path, how to tuck and your groove, then I'd learn how the hips come into play and then feet placement, then how to start the drive, flaring your elbows, the bar path again. After you get all that down you have to learn how each thing I mentioned effects the next. It's almost liking pushing dominos over if everything is set up correctly when you push the first one down everything after that comes down. Sorry to ramble on... it's almost impossible to explain in text.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic