Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

4 yr old mauled by dad's police k9 dog

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
I thought they only saw shades of gray? And most K9 handler unis are black now anyway. During Super Bowl week we had dogs from every agency and they all had different uniforms. Those were bomb dogs though so different training.

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I think they dogs in Fl can read Dunkin Donuts shirts now.

Beedeezy

Beedeezy

Feb 18, 2015
They mentioned in the video the dog was not to be in contact without the handler there. I think the dog was doing what he was trained to do. I also think the officer is at fault 100% and not sure I blame the dog.
If I was the handler I would put the dog down. Not because I fault the dog but because I could not allow myself to continue to love something that did that to my kid, even if it was due to my negligent.

Placebro

Placebro

Nov 3, 2014
I love animals have 2 dogs myself. However, if one of my dogs seriously injured another human or even worse a child I'd have no choice but to have them euthanized. Obviously if the dog was defending his home family or himself then I would reconsider, but if it was unprovoked or simply human stupidity I d have to do what was necessary . Believe me it would crush me, my dogs are my best friends they are family I'm with them all the time.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Exactly. That's why I call for charges to be filed on the handler/owner.

I will try to compare it like this, it's like if the officer had his gun laying out and the kid blew off his leg, poor handling of a deadly weapon. You don't destroy the gun because the owner was irresponsible. Is that a fair analogy?
Yea, most states actually would confiscate and destroy the weapon :p

If you read my "correction" you would know I agree
Sowwy..didn't see that DC..

Most K9's, around here, are not brought in as puppies and trained. They are brought in, imprinted with the basics, from another county. From there they get a handler, and the handler finishes the training. I also know if two different types of dogs, some departments want dogs that are not "family" dogs. They aren't good with kids and other people, the other is the loveable fluff that can be turned on. As for a dog biting an officer while at work, dogs look for the runner, that is why you will see other officers stand still and let the handler go first. They can read a shirt that says police, they use prey drive.
Think about that, you are a K9 Unit and you can't trust your partner with your family? Not going to happen. Protection trained dogs are GREAT Family dogs, it's why you have them ''Protection Trained''. DOOOH!!. I've had many and never had a issue, I have had some that were sketchy temperments. They were handled and not trusted alone, ever. ''Police dogs'' are trained the exact same way as a ''Family Protection''
Believe me, you do not have to be running to get bit! I have been bitten while frozen like a deer.

They mentioned in the video the dog was not to be in contact without the handler there. I think the dog was doing what he was trained to do. I also think the officer is at fault 100% and not sure I blame the dog.
If I was the handler I would put the dog down. Not because I fault the dog but because I could not allow myself to continue to love something that did that to my kid, even if it was due to my negligent.

Exactly, nobody would have to wonder or wait if that dog was going down if that was my kid. Right , wrong he would be dead

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
I must fully disagree, some K9's are NOT family dogs. Those dogs aren't trusted to run free with family, they are crated when home and not working. And yes, I know you don't have to be running, a man hiding in a closet clearly is not running and will still get tagged unless you train in goofy bark and hold.

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I must fully disagree, some K9's are NOT family dogs. Those dogs aren't trusted to run free with family, they are crated when home and not working. And yes, I know you don't have to be running, a man hiding in a closet clearly is not running and will still get tagged unless you train in goofy bark and hold.

Never trained ''bark n hold'', never even seen it. Not trying to bust your ballz but I've seen, owned and trained Protection dogs, all German Shepards. They are part of the Family, the pack, your family. There are stages in the training, up to 6 months you let them be king shit, win at everything, no disciplining. Then comes the '' firing them up'' on suspicious characters, then comes light sleeve work.. etc. They're mature at around 2 years , that's when you begin ''finishing them, letting them understand you are the alpha. This process can be bloody and ugly with some alpha dogs but not all of them, like people they are all different.

I think you're seeing the young dogs that aren't finished and bark, bite everything that moves. More dogs wash out than pass. Put it this way, no city wants a liability like a untrustworthy employee, a K9 is a employee of the police dept.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic