Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

4 yr old mauled by dad's police k9 dog

dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
I beg to differ. A TON of service dogs are raised in homes with families/young children. I know of two personally that are in a home with young children and they seem to be good dogs. They become very "alert" when strangers are around though, but I can't say that, other than my first encounter, have I felt threatened around them.

I phrased that poorly, while they're being trained it is not like a family dog, they are very structured and regimented, they are not socialized like a "house dog" I guess is what I meant to say. I agree with you, and apologize for my poor wording. I grew up with 3 German shepherds who were trained in search and rescue; and agility, people were terrified of them, but they were my best friends..... I also have friends who adopted a k-9 who was retiring while they were pregnant with their son, and he was a phenomenal family dog.

Once they are a full-time working dog most of them can go off-duty and be a part of the family, this dog the officer obviously did not trust to do so, and kept him separated, poor handling IMO

HGH

HGH

MuscleHead
Jan 11, 2013
I say put it down.

The bastard chewed off the kids leg.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
this dog the officer obviously did not trust to do so, and kept him separated, poor handling IMO
Exactly. That's why I call for charges to be filed on the handler/owner.

I will try to compare it like this, it's like if the officer had his gun laying out and the kid blew off his leg, poor handling of a deadly weapon. You don't destroy the gun because the owner was irresponsible. Is that a fair analogy?

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Valid points DC. However I just don't see cause for putting the dog down. The dogs handler should be fired from the department and charged with negligence and child endangerment.

Lots of things to consider..how old was the dog, how far into training etc. If he was fully trained and mature, he has a fault in temperment and not suitable for Cop work.There is definitely going to be a lawsuit

I think that is all going too far to be honest, the biggest reason is that as a K-9 Unit you get your dog as a puppy, and then you train your dog, your dog is not a friendly family dog, and the training and loyalty that makes a dog risk his life comes from the relationship with his handler, moving this dog to another handler does not work in the world of k-9 units, if you ever notice a handler die in the line of duty, his dog is retired....

My grandma used to train the sheriff k-9's when I was growing up, and though some departments may do it differently, there and around here a dog will only ever work with HIS handler, and does not move to anyone else.

Got to differ also DC. I've trained Protection dogs and personally known K9 cops with Families and they bond quickly and fiercely with the kids and Family. That said all dogs are different and you do NOT want them thinking for themselves, thats what training is all about. Shepherds are chosen for a reason, it's centuries of breeding for protection. This guy should have known his dog better or just got careless. Right or wrong this dog will be put down, if it was my kid I would want the pleasure.

''Protection dogs are raised with the family, as part of the family. They bond as part of the pack, this dog definitely did not have the temperment for the job. My kids grew up with Protection trained Sheherds and we never had a issue, they laid on them, pulled their tails, they were actually used in the training (kidnapping scenarios).
Some of the worst trained dogs I've seen are cops dogs, watch ''cops'' and you'll see K9's actually go after other cops when released! IMO that's a good dog but...lol .

Last edited:
dangerouscurves

dangerouscurves

TID Lady VIP
May 25, 2011
Lots of things to consider..how old was the dog, how far into training etc. If he was fully trained and mature, he has a fault in temperment and not suitable for Cop work.There is definitely going to be a lawsuit

Got to differ also DC. I've trained Protection dogs and personally known K9 cops with Families and they bond quickly and fiercely with the kids and Family. That said all dogs are different and you do NOT want them thinking for themselves, thats what training is all about. Shepherds are chosen for a reason, it's centuries of breeding for protection. This guy should have known his dog better or just got careless. Right or wrong this dog will be put down, if it was my kid I would want the pleasure.

''Protection dogs are raised with the family, as part of the family. They bond as part of the pack, this dog definitely did not have the temperment for the job. My kids grew up with Protection trained Sheherds and we never had a issue, they laid on them, pulled their tails, they were actually used in the training (kidnapping scenarios).
Some of the worst trained dogs I've seen are cops dogs, watch ''cops'' and you'll see K9's actually go after other cops when released! IMO that's a good dog but...lol .

If you read my "correction" you would know I agree

parttimer

parttimer

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2011
Most K9's, around here, are not brought in as puppies and trained. They are brought in, imprinted with the basics, from another county. From there they get a handler, and the handler finishes the training. I also know if two different types of dogs, some departments want dogs that are not "family" dogs. They aren't good with kids and other people, the other is the loveable fluff that can be turned on. As for a dog biting an officer while at work, dogs look for the runner, that is why you will see other officers stand still and let the handler go first. They can read a shirt that says police, they use prey drive.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
I think he means they can't read a shirt. They just follow instinct, so if you run, you're prey

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
lol Ah, ok. I was wondering if they were trained to identify the uniforms or certain police shirts lol

monsoon

monsoon

Senior Bacon VIP
Nov 1, 2010
lol Ah, ok. I was wondering if they were trained to identify the uniforms or certain police shirts lol
How awesome would that be. Bite the guy in the wife beater.

shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
How awesome would that be. Bite the guy in the wife beater.

Well, blue is one of the few colors a dog sees! lol Dogs see most colors in shades of yellow and brown. Deer have a similar color picture.

Probably why dogs go ape shit when they see people in uniforms...most are blue!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic