Latest Member
Blackenalma
What's New?

1st meet peaking log

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
You can cut out the paused squats now. 3 weeks out so volume needs to come down.

What are you opening up with in squat?

Looking at the 395 video above has me nervous. You still are very loose in the hole. Up top you look better on the walk out. But breaking parallel is what counts.

You need to go VERY conservative imo. I mean like 300 lbs conservative. Just hit your opener and stay in the game. Second attempt can be 340 or 350 if you feel good. But you need to get down more.

Bombing out isn't cool. It's no fun.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
You can cut out the paused squats now. 3 weeks out so volume needs to come down.

What are you opening up with in squat?

Looking at the 395 video above has me nervous. You still are very loose in the hole. Up top you look better on the walk out. But breaking parallel is what counts.

You need to go VERY conservative imo. I mean like 300 lbs conservative. Just hit your opener and stay in the game. Second attempt can be 340 or 350 if you feel good. But you need to get down more.

Bombing out isn't cool. It's no fun.

First I want to say thank you for the help/support! I want to start at 315, I will vid that lift this wk. Bench I'm going with 225 and not sure on dl. Will be working on figuring that out monday. Bombing out not a fukn option!!!! Success, success, success!

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
First I want to say thank you for the help/support! I want to start at 315, I will vid that lift this wk. Bench I'm going with 225 and not sure on dl. Will be working on figuring that out monday. Bombing out not a fukn option!!!! Success, success, success!
I don't care what it takes, bottom out on that 315. Looking forward to the vid.

For dl just remember that you will be pretty tired by that point. But your deads are looking much better.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I don't care what it takes, bottom out on that 315. Looking forward to the vid.

For dl just remember that you will be pretty tired by that point. But your deads are looking much better.

Yessir, atg! The dl looking better is a great compliment but it's owed to you, wouldn't be here without your help! Big boost in my confidence hearing that from you, thanks much!

Bullmuscle7

Bullmuscle7

MuscleHead
Jun 11, 2014
Everybody is supporting you!!!

Just be safe!!!

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I co-sign with PillarofBalance
300 squat opener so you're in the meet no matter what. You can't go lower after you make your first attempt.

This is your first meet. Enjoy the experience and feel everything out. You'll have plenty of opportunities to "leave it all on the platform." For now, just get in there.

My first meet was with the Iron Mafia guys judging and they were busting my balls super hard because I was conservative. I told them it was my first ever meet via FB a month later and they told me I did a great job and chose wisely. Next meet I destroyed my squat... 490 with wraps in the first one, 562 without wraps at the second meet. That's how conservative I was in my first meet.

BrotherIron

BrotherIron

VIP Member
Mar 6, 2011
Take the vid of the 315 but I agree that make sure the opener is something you know you'll nail.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I co-sign with PillarofBalance
300 squat opener so you're in the meet no matter what. You can't go lower after you make your first attempt.

This is your first meet. Enjoy the experience and feel everything out. You'll have plenty of opportunities to "leave it all on the platform." For now, just get in there.

My first meet was with the Iron Mafia guys judging and they were busting my balls super hard because I was conservative. I told them it was my first ever meet via FB a month later and they told me I did a great job and chose wisely. Next meet I destroyed my squat... 490 with wraps in the first one, 562 without wraps at the second meet. That's how conservative I was in my first meet.
I remember watching those vids from the first meet and wondering why you didn't even try lol

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I remember watching those vids from the first meet and wondering why you didn't even try lol

Hahaha Mark Miller was cussing at me on my third attempts for squat and dead. Never underestimate adrenaline and singlets!

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Squat
Bar x 15
95 x 10
135 x 5
185 x 3
215 x 2
265 x 2
295 x 1
315 x 1 (vid - no belt/wraps)

DL
125 x 5
205 x 3
275 x 2
325 x 1
365 x 3 (vid - out of plates)

Yet another crazy wk with work, kids soccer ending, and couple late nights with my girl. Had to lift at home today and forgot gym bag at work so ne belt or wraps. I'm pretty pleased. I will open squat at 315 and hopefully make a couple bigger jumps in weight. Pulls were nice but out of plates at home, 365 x 3 was easy, I'm planning on opening at 405 for dl. Check the vids and let me know what you think. I want to squat/pull my openers once more before the meet. Is that a bad idea? Aug 8th is meet day

Last edited by a moderator:
PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Squat looked good. Hit depth finally. Still a little loose in the bottom but you came up strong.

Deadlift - gotta get those hips down to get behind the bar. You have been doing that. Not sure why it changed.

Hit your openers again before the meet. Just work up to it for a single and stop there.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
Bench is getting stronger quickly!

Bar x 10 (slow)
85 x 5
135 x 3
185 x 1
225 x 1 (vid)
255 x 1 (vid)

Today was great for my confidence, weight was very easy to press! I was rethinking my opener of 225 and debating 245. If I stay with 225 opener I was thinking 255 and 285 after. I'd really like to hit 300 though, my pr is 305. take a look at vids and let me know what you think would be a good opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic