Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
jacobss

15yr old daughter doing a meet. program help needed.

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Daughter wants to do a meet in dec. Its 3 lift, my thought is to train the 3 lifts 3x a week. Where i need help is the percentages and rep scheme. Any help is appreciated. Its been years since ive done this so, thanks in advance.

VIP Member
Nov 3, 2012
I have no clue on programming for her but congratulations on her continued interest in your passion!

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
Dude that's freakin awesome. I got nothing but praise for you bro... Good luck to the both of you!

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Thanks guys. We were working out yesterday and she walks up, dad, there is a meet dec. Xx in xxxx, i want to do it. That was it. She was talking to the gym owner who apparently told her about it. Now she is all over me about making her program. Im so out of touch with that stuff anymore but, ill figure it out, some here will have good input.

porky little keg

porky little keg

MuscleHead
May 21, 2011
That's awesome! I've seen a lot of young female athletes make great progress and put on great meets.

Girls, especially young girls can handle a lot higher work load than guys can. They can work in higher percentage ranges then we can, but they can't handle all out 100% days as often. Looking at the differences in how Laura Phelps programs for girls vs. guys I feel confident saying that girls thrive on reps more than guys to.

But still not all three 3x a week!

I'd start on a template similar to the conjugate one. A heavy and a light day for upper body and a heavy and light day for lower body.

Even just a 3 week wave with a 5/3/1 rep scheme for the heavier days..... for younger girls definitely focus on glute medius work to stabilize her hips ( most girls are quad dominant and not stable in the hips so you'll see their knees wiggle as they drive out of the hole, this fixes that).

Then do higher 10-20 reps on the lighter days and focus on accessory work - especially over head press ( assuming she's lifting raw)

S

schultz1

Bangs Raiden's mom VIP
Jan 3, 2011
Thanos plk. She is good with all of the hip stuff. She has been training for a while. Started with oly lifting, then just fitness based training but now she is infatutaed with pl-ing. This morning i was cooking bfast and she was watching pl. Videos on you tube. She recently switched to wider stance squattinh as well. She did this on her own and the tech. Is good, she feels stronger there according to her. Im thinking of a pl program 2x week with a hiit 3rd if we can make it. Being a single dad that travels for work creates some time issues.

Enasni

Enasni

TID Lady Member
Feb 10, 2014
That's awesome! I've seen a lot of young female athletes make great progress and put on great meets.

Girls, especially young girls can handle a lot higher work load than guys can. They can work in higher percentage ranges then we can, but they can't handle all out 100% days as often. Looking at the differences in how Laura Phelps programs for girls vs. guys I feel confident saying that girls thrive on reps more than guys to.

But still not all three 3x a week!

I'd start on a template similar to the conjugate one. A heavy and a light day for upper body and a heavy and light day for lower body.

Even just a 3 week wave with a 5/3/1 rep scheme for the heavier days..... for younger girls definitely focus on glute medius work to stabilize her hips ( most girls are quad dominant and not stable in the hips so you'll see their knees wiggle as they drive out of the hole, this fixes that).

Then do higher 10-20 reps on the lighter days and focus on accessory work - especially over head press ( assuming she's lifting raw)

This knee wiggle glute medius thing you speak of. What works the medius? Because this is a problem for me and I need to fix it badly. Also makes the tfl work much harder than it needs to I think making it quite tender.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
Like Porky said the only difference in male vs female training is females thrive on volume. But where she is new to lifting and her weights are big how do you get that volume becomes the challenge... warm ups is the answer. A lot of warm up reps.

Ramrod

Ramrod

MuscleHead
Jun 5, 2012
I think 531 would be a good start.. I use this App to track and figure my poundage's for 531. It's also in the Apple market too. Use the accessory work to focus and build up Hip strength they said above. The guy who made the App has been making it better each time. I've been using the App since 2013. Works great for 531. If you don't like the idea of having all Main lifts heavy in the same week. rotate them like I do.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stefankendall.BigLifts&hl=en

Last edited:
DieYoungStrong

DieYoungStrong

VIP Member
May 27, 2013
I'll agree with the others. After training my wife for a few meets before she got preggo, a few things stand out:

Like others said - females can handle volume, but get crushed by intensity

1RM calculator BS is bad enough for guys, but throw it right out for da wimminz. Just random numbers I'm throwing, but say a guy squats 500 x 5 and he then can hit 575 x 1. A girl who hits 300x5 might hit 315-320x1 IME.

Also, they def need to specificity of doing the comp lifts as much as possible. Especially as a beginner.

Upper body strength progress is slooooooow.

any1uno

any1uno

MuscleHead
Dec 22, 2010
I really like Wendler's routine. I'd look at a 4 day routine. Bench, Squat, Deads and O-heads. Then add in some cardio. I should connect with my coach because his daughter took up PLing and has been amazing in the sport. She started at 9 yrs old. Is quite the deadlifter now!

It sounds that your daughter is very motivated. I wish you both the best and will be looking for updates.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
I really like Wendler's routine. I'd look at a 4 day routine. Bench, Squat, Deads and O-heads. Then add in some cardio. I should connect with my coach because his daughter took up PLing and has been amazing in the sport. She started at 9 yrs old. Is quite the deadlifter now!

It sounds that your daughter is very motivated. I wish you both the best and will be looking for updates.

Do it! Would be a lot of help for future TIDers!

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic