MuscleHead
Dec 24, 2011
Right now I'm running this training program
Day1 chest
day 2 back
day3 shoulders
day 4 arms
day 5 legs.. Off start over again .
Does anyone find better results using 3 or 4 day split?
I was using mountain dog training for a whole year but I don't like hitting two muscle groups in one day the intensity was great but sometimes workload was a lot.. I feel like I have more weight volume with one muscle group a day(other than arms) I do 3 exercises heavy 4x12,10,8,8 reps exercises, then lighter higher another 2-3 exercises 4x12-reps pump blood in the muscle... Any thoughts on this ? When did you guys see most growth ?

GiantSlayer

GiantSlayer

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2013
Generally I like to hit the smaller muscles multiple times but try your plan for a while. Maybe when you put the frequency back in when your done with this you might see even better growth.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I did try this years ago, I stopped it for 2 reasons. Firstly, I just didn't have the time to drive to the gym every day. Secondly, and maybe more importantly, certain muscle groups work together whether we like it or not and I felt I was unintentionally hitting some muscles twice per week which IMO wasn't giving them the rest and recovery time I would have liked.

tommyguns2

tommyguns2

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Dec 25, 2010
The type of routine you have posted has one advantage of allowing you to focus on that one body part each day. It also gives you plenty of rest for that body part. Unfortunately, I have to double up on body parts since I only weight train 3x/week, but I still allow a full week of rest for each body part. That's become a bigger deal for me as I've gotten older.

JR Ewing

JR Ewing

MuscleHead
Nov 9, 2012
Day 1: arms
Day 2: quads
Day 3 off
Day 4: chest
Day 5: back
Day 6 off
Day 7: shoulders
Day 8: calves, hamstrings
Day 9 off

I usually end up taking an extra rest day here and there, so that I usually train 4 days a week, typically Mon, Tues, Thurs, and Fri. A heavy quad or back day often makes it easy to rationalize 2 rest days in a row, usually taken Sat and Sun.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
I've done one body part a lot and get great results from it!! Actually best results!! :)
Yep me too. I preferred one body part a day,
arms
legs
back
chest
shoulders

in no certain order. I would beat the dog shit out of that muscle group each day, had good results. Only thing different is I had more volume, 6-8 sets, 12-15 reps, last set or two until failure.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Shamrock - first let me say - looks great - my advice to anyone even my clients that I train - I try to teach them to listen to their own body and intuition . I honestly am one that feels forums can be the worse place fir advice . However I honest to god feel iron den has the absolute best people I've come across 16 years . With that said - try your routine fir few months. . Really pay close attention to how you feel, progress etc. to many I advice keep a training diary so later you can look fir correlation . To me experience is best, trial and error. You are your best teacher. Because something like a complete routine magnitude is so vast that too many personal variables will influence the responses. Ie lifestyle , family work etc etc. me jj ketsugo prefer one day off three on 2 off 3 on I separate my body into 3 sections but on leg day I do quads in am and calves pm . My decision has more to do with convenience but also I have a purpose if always remaining under 8% bodyfat no matter what . I feel like I get smoother doing the one day week. Again I'm 50 my life is very different . The body thrives on change so even trying different routines for 4-6 weeks at a time may actually also produce growth. So really there is no reason not to try any routine . Like even mountain training is not meant to be used forever . Anyone who says to you it is, really isn't paying attention to how our bodies work. We get stale because our minds, our muscular and our nervous system adjust . So we need to change up everything to confuse each area. Renew enthusiasm , confuse muscles , replenish the nervous system. We do this by change no matter how minute or how large . Variety , periodization the term cycle implies change . Our supps, diet drugs all of it requires tweeking. It sounds toe the mountain dog has run it's course. Try other methods for few then you may always go back as now you have the knowledge of mountain dog in you're repetiore

mands

mands

VIP Member
Jul 24, 2012
My routine now is like this:

Mon. Chest
Tues. Back
Wed. Legs
Thurs. Shoulders once a month.
Thurs. Tris and calves
Fri. Biceps and abs
Sat. off
Sun. off

I like giving my shoulders a rest after chest. I see you have yours the day after. I would try and move it around for maximum rest.

mands

oldschool1967

oldschool1967

VIP Member
Aug 6, 2011
First, you will never know what routine works for you until you give it a decent run, usually 2 months or so in my opinion, but I will quote Dorian Yates '' I would never waste my time driving to the gym, setting up, just to train a small body part, such as arms or calves''.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic