Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

What will the fitness industry look like moving forward?

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I am hoping this idiot of a Governor we have will wake the fuck up after all of the protest taking place in Austin. I know he is getting a lot of email too. I know I send one every friggin' day. Abbott actually opened up nothing but State Parks starting tomorrow. Probably there are also going to be a mountain of law suit start hitting governors. What they are doing is called a violation of civil rights. We have the right of free assembly. Abbott is already being sued by religious groups. Another 1st amendment right. I live in Houston and 6 Gold's Gyms are closing up, but they did very little business anyway and paid way too much money to Gold's for their franchise.

Once things get opened again, they will simply not have the people to go around checking on who is doing what. Social distancing is just not happening now. Walk into WalMart and it is packed, Lowes, Home Depot. No one is checking this now. Texas is unique that we pay no income tax. The state makes all of their money through property tax and sales tax. Gyms pay a whole lot of sales tax and we have a whole lot of gyms in Houston. Probably 150-200. The State will not be able to function soon if they don't start getting people out spending money again and that includes gyms. No gyms, no football, no basket ball, no base ball, no soccer, no rodeo and the conventions will be gone. These people need big packed venues to exist. Houston will dry up as will the state. I agree, it is all ridiculous. I can walk into a crowded Lowes any day., no social distancing and no limit to how many people are in there. Nothing is being sanitized. Yet we have to be treated like damn children and not allowed to go into a gym where all the germ-a-phoebes are using handfuls of paper towels and bottles of sanitize all over everything they touch already. Gyms are most likely the cleanest place in town.

These these silly ass strike forces are too much. Trumps plan was good and we should stick to it. Phase 1 gives gym permission to open back up. Abbott is a dumb ass and I am sorry to say I voted for him. Anyway, I think things will be right back to normal by May. The people in Texas have h ad enough of this nonsense. There are about 65 counties that did not have 1 case of this crap. Now we have over 1 million people in Texas out of work.
It's opposite here in Fl., this is the retirement/snowbird capital. Lots of older folks, the most affected by life loss. Walmart here has people at the doors counting heads going in and out. They can only have so many people per 100sq ft. I figured it was like that everywhere.

S

searay

VIP Member
Dec 20, 2017
It's opposite here in Fl., this is the retirement/snowbird capital. Lots of older folks, the most affected by life loss. Walmart here has people at the doors counting heads going in and out. They can only have so many people per 100sq ft. I figured it was like that everywhere.

There doing this in Maine plus at most convenient stores

Reactions: HDH
Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012

Yea, WalMart here has people sitting at the door too. I have never seen them stop anyone. I just checked and Walmarts new company policy and they claim say they only allow five customers per 1,000 square feet into the building at one time. The average Walmart is around 105, 000 sq ft. That comes out to be 525 people in the store wondering around. I don't think at their busiest hour there is that many people in the store at one time. Walmart implemented a policy to make people feel safe but did nothing to prevent them from losing any money. Not that I blame them. Lowes here doesn't have any limitations, nor does Home Depot. I think Target did what Walmart did. No of the other grocery stores we have have done anything but put up plastic cough shields in front of cashiers. So in other words....we can go into a Walmart with 525 people any time but we can't go into Macys at all. Makes no sense does it.

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
There will a lot less gyms around for a while after everything reopens. So many chains struggling before all this lowering cost and going after "bargain" members that will pay $10/month for over crowded gyms over a we'll run gym asking $50 a month and offering cleaner and better service.

We own a private studio and our per hour rates are not cheap but we also only want those that can truly afford to train long term rather than starting and stopping every other payday.

If I was in the market to expand again I'd buy up some of these gyms equipment it'll be cheap as heck soon.

BackAtIt

BackAtIt

MuscleHead
Oct 3, 2016
That's pretty cool. Something about it is really familiar. I think I've seen pics of it over the years.

It kinda reminds me of where Arnold and his crew lifted on the beach years ago...Except, not as crude!...I've lifted in a few gyms over the years that were antiquated, but nothing compared to this, lol!...

hawkeye

hawkeye

VIP Member
Sep 19, 2011
My fear is this stuff comes back in the October with the flu season. Until we find a vaccine, I worry that this is the new norm. It sucks. I don't see a lot of hope for fitness centers, but I could be wrong. Maybe if people follow all the precautions, we can open things up little by little.

rAJJIN

rAJJIN

TID Board Of Directors
Nov 30, 2011
Watching all
The west side videos during this makes me want to open a small private place just for invite only. No charge just a place for (selected) people to train. Not for money but for the love of it.

Bigtex

Bigtex

VIP Member
Aug 14, 2012
My wife and I had a small "key club" years back. I filled up a small office space full of equipment and let an approved group of people train. However, they had to donate time to help me run powerlifting meets, judge, load, spot or help me move equipment to the sites 3-4 times a year. Some of the best hard core training I have ever had. After about 10 years I heard too much complaining about helping out, but no one complained about having a place to train. So I shut it down. Holy crap, I even gave them free powerlifting gear for helping with the meets. Most ended up with 3-4 new bench shirts and/or squats suits every year with grocery bags of knee wraps.

BovaJP

BovaJP

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Feb 15, 2013
I've given this some thought. But this coming from someone that never owned a gym....had owned a small business and is educated in the business industry.

Biggest hitters are the organized events that count on making money at said organized events (meets, competitions, etc). Competitors competing in said organized events. Vendors contributing to and attending said organized events. Will be interesting to see the first few big events because i doubt that vendors will contribute much in the events. Might see smaller prize money and smaller trophies.

Gyms (large and small). Some will close, some will weather the storm. Some have adapted by providing their clients with online workouts to supplement going in. (its never the same, buy hey they try!). The smaller gyms will probably be able to reopen first since they can restrict the # of guests that come in pretty easily.

Personal trainers. Although some are successful in converting to an online format. Hey, now is the time to get those CEU's in or acquire some more certifications and education so when shit opens back up, you are well armed. I think a lot will find another path to make money.

Fitness supply companies: hardware supplies to build up a home gym are in high demand right now. Good for those suppliers, but that will fizzle out.
Workout clothing gear: i have seen a ton, and i suspect some will dry up/close down.
Supplement companies: They will weather the course. They have just changed the model in which you can get your protein powder, etc. The customers that are continuing to work out and have a great home gym are still needing these type of things. I was in a supplement store locally last week and overheard the guy ask the customer in front of me how she had heard of them and she said that they were the only ones that were still open. I think some will feel the effect and def slow down in sales. Some will close up, and some will survive.

The general fitness industry survives on fad's. So the latest and greatest thing to hit the market, or someone will come up with something for the home. Shoot, there are plenty of that out there anyway, but I think inventors will re-invigorate the market in this area. Will just refresh or tweak.
Those that have money, will

When things start to slowly open back up...it will be slow and state by state/region by region. The biggest hit will be the highly populated areas. In those highly populated areas, i see an increase in fights at the gyms because they will need to max out on the # of ppl in there and some hot heads will pop off.

What will really be interesting is the increase in fat burners or more will hit the market because after this is over ppl that gained weight during quarantine will want to get a fast pill to burn fat quickly LOL. Someone will come up with a quarantine fat burner, if they havent' already lol.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
There doing this in Maine plus at most convenient stores

Yea, WalMart here has people sitting at the door too. I have never seen them stop anyone. I just checked and Walmarts new company policy and they claim say they only allow five customers per 1,000 square feet into the building at one time. The average Walmart is around 105, 000 sq ft. That comes out to be 525 people in the store wondering around. I don't think at their busiest hour there is that many people in the store at one time. Walmart implemented a policy to make people feel safe but did nothing to prevent them from losing any money. Not that I blame them. Lowes here doesn't have any limitations, nor does Home Depot. I think Target did what Walmart did. No of the other grocery stores we have have done anything but put up plastic cough shields in front of cashiers. So in other words....we can go into a Walmart with 525 people any time but we can't go into Macys at all. Makes no sense does it.

I went into Walmart last night and they made all the isles one way with red and green stickers on the floor saying do not enter at one side and enter at the other. I messaged a buddy for a lil laugh and he said the other supermarkets did the same.

HDH

HDH

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I've given this some thought. But this coming from someone that never owned a gym....had owned a small business and is educated in the business industry.

Biggest hitters are the organized events that count on making money at said organized events (meets, competitions, etc). Competitors competing in said organized events. Vendors contributing to and attending said organized events. Will be interesting to see the first few big events because i doubt that vendors will contribute much in the events. Might see smaller prize money and smaller trophies.

Gyms (large and small). Some will close, some will weather the storm. Some have adapted by providing their clients with online workouts to supplement going in. (its never the same, buy hey they try!). The smaller gyms will probably be able to reopen first since they can restrict the # of guests that come in pretty easily.

Personal trainers. Although some are successful in converting to an online format. Hey, now is the time to get those CEU's in or acquire some more certifications and education so when shit opens back up, you are well armed. I think a lot will find another path to make money.

Fitness supply companies: hardware supplies to build up a home gym are in high demand right now. Good for those suppliers, but that will fizzle out.
Workout clothing gear: i have seen a ton, and i suspect some will dry up/close down.
Supplement companies: They will weather the course. They have just changed the model in which you can get your protein powder, etc. The customers that are continuing to work out and have a great home gym are still needing these type of things. I was in a supplement store locally last week and overheard the guy ask the customer in front of me how she had heard of them and she said that they were the only ones that were still open. I think some will feel the effect and def slow down in sales. Some will close up, and some will survive.

The general fitness industry survives on fad's. So the latest and greatest thing to hit the market, or someone will come up with something for the home. Shoot, there are plenty of that out there anyway, but I think inventors will re-invigorate the market in this area. Will just refresh or tweak.
Those that have money, will

When things start to slowly open back up...it will be slow and state by state/region by region. The biggest hit will be the highly populated areas. In those highly populated areas, i see an increase in fights at the gyms because they will need to max out on the # of ppl in there and some hot heads will pop off.

What will really be interesting is the increase in fat burners or more will hit the market because after this is over ppl that gained weight during quarantine will want to get a fast pill to burn fat quickly LOL. Someone will come up with a quarantine fat burner, if they havent' already lol.
Looks like a pretty good assessment on the situation.

The only thing I really miss is the gym. I have 3 different memberships, none of these guys are going under either because they are all still hitting my bank. I'm still able to work out but not how I like, I use all three places every week.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic