Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Tall vs Short bodybuilders

chicken_hawk

chicken_hawk

MuscleHead
Oct 28, 2010
Oh, I also HATE the people that bust out a calculator and take percentages of weight and try to say they're stronger than me. I had some homo one time who took out his calculator and was like I bench some low number and I only weigh peanuts. He continued to divide his bench (low number) by his weight (peanuts) and he came up with a decimal that happened to be higher than mine.

What a homo!

Hawk

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
I agree that the height of a person doesn't dictate strength of the muscle. I think it would be very difficult to judge strength by the muscle alone, without regards to the physics of leverage. Being taller doesn't give you a strength advantage. Because of the leverage, and all else being equal, it would take you larger muscles to move the same weight as a shorter guy. From a bodybuilding perspective, it would take you much longer to achieve what a shorter guy does, simply because shorter guys will look bigger than taller ones, given the same pound-per-pound muscle.

Youngstunna

Youngstunna

Trenja Turtle
Oct 21, 2010
Flex lewis is like 5'2" and is a beast, Im 5'9" and think at my heaviest looked bigger than i really was i was only 206. So I guess all in all I like my height, but also envy the guy who makes a entrance when he walks in a room at 6'3" 275......

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
I agree that the height of a person doesn't dictate strength of the muscle. I think it would be very difficult to judge strength by the muscle alone, without regards to the physics of leverage. Being taller doesn't give you a strength advantage. Because of the leverage, and all else being equal, it would take you larger muscles to move the same weight as a shorter guy. From a bodybuilding perspective, it would take you much longer to achieve what a shorter guy does, simply because shorter guys will look bigger than taller ones, given the same pound-per-pound muscle.

Exactly, all things being equal height does not dictate an immediate strength advantage. DU, what about a tall man on the elite level of physique, seems to go without saying that a taller man has more capacity to hold mass. Is thid extra mass equaled out by the physics of a shorter physique. In other words, does physique make up, proportions and structure, play the predominant role over muscle size WRT strenght and size merely a secondary factor? Scratch that, I think the point you're trying to make is that size is a secondary factor of strength meaning I'm not stronger because I'm taller, I'm stronger because I earned it.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
Exactly, all things being equal height does not dictate an immediate strength advantage. DU, what about a tall man on the elite level of physique, seems to go without saying that a taller man has more capacity to hold mass. Is thid extra mass equaled out by the physics of a shorter physique. In other words, does physique make up, proportions and structure, play the predominant role over muscle size WRT strenght and size merely a secondary factor? Scratch that, I think the point you're trying to make is that size is a secondary factor of strength meaning I'm not stronger because I'm taller, I'm stronger because I earned it.

There may be more surface area to create more muscle, but it'll take you longer to look as big as a shorter guy. As far as strength, you had to work harder/longer to achieve the same strength (not just muscle strength; total strength) as the shorter guys, just because of physics. Of course, there's other factors, such as muscle density and type, that dictate strength, too. Also, muscle size and strength do not necessarily correlate. I've seen cock-strong guys that are small, and vice versa.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
How does the fact that most of the WSM competitors are over 6' tall, play into the theory that the shorter man will generally be stronger, when all else is equal?

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
How does the fact that most of the WSM competitors are over 6' tall, play into the theory that the shorter man will generally be stronger, when all else is equal?

Along the lines of what DU is saying. Think of the human body strictly in technical terms. A persons body who is over 6' is a bigger machine than a person say, 5'6. The taller guy's body has more potential to do work. He can generate more force. What we are saying is it takes the taller man a much longer duration than a shorter guy to achieve comparable strength and size, with all things being equal. But, the taller guy has more potential and will therefor eventually surpass the shorter guy.

SAD

SAD

TID Board Of Directors
Feb 3, 2011
Along the lines of what DU is saying. Think of the human body strictly in technical terms. A persons body who is over 6' is a bigger machine than a person say, 5'6. The taller guy's body has more potential to do work. He can generate more force. What we are saying is it takes the taller man a much longer duration than a shorter guy to achieve comparable strength and size, with all things being equal. But, the taller guy has more potential and will therefor eventually surpass the shorter guy.

Alright, gotcha. I couldn't quite tell if that's what was being said, but I agree with that completely. Can you imagine a 7 footer who was born with a myostatin deficiency? Fuck......

S

Slag

Apr 21, 2011
yeah i have only been working out for 3 or 4months but being 6'3 i have a feeling to be huge im gna have to be pushing 270lbs+ and have to bench like 400+ squat 600+ and deadlift 500+, its going to take awhile..damnit.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
^Yup, that's where I'm at now and still not big enough damnit! I thought 275 was going to be my sweet spot, then I hit 292 and wasn't happy. I settled back down around 280 for now. I think I'll have to be 315ish to be happy. LOL.

Dangling Unit

Dangling Unit

MuscleHead
Jan 2, 2011
You'll never be happy, until someone you love says it's enough. I could've easily surpassed 210# and wanted to, but the fiancee said it would no longer be attractive. I'm right where she wants me to be. It was at that point I said I'm big enough.

Stumpy

Stumpy

Olé, Olé, Olé VIP
Sep 29, 2010
I'm a little on the stumpy side of things standing at 5' 6" and only wiegh 180lbs and don't look bad at that, if I was 6' + I'd look crap at that weight. Being stumpy does have its' advantages of looking more filled out in less time but I'd rather be taller. Stumpy

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic