Latest Member
arcticranger
What's New?

Stress fracture in my ribcage

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
I agree with getting the MRI....but my insurance will not pay for it and that's my ****ing fault?....I don't make a damn docs salary......im just a commoner...

If your a "commoner" let your doctor practice the medicine and you be the patient!

Why is this so important? Because you clearly don't have the level of education, insight, motivation or ambition to determine what tests are indicated, when and why.

The reason NO INSURANCE company should or will pay for an MRI to "rule our" a "stress rib fracture" include;
1) Your CXR is "normal"

2) An MRI won't change treatment

3) An MRI won't alter the prognosis

4) It's the WRONG TEST for bony pathology

5) It therefore ONLY ADDS cost to the price of health care including your own. (what you don't care about that because your "employer pays for the insurance? Well guess where that money comes from ..... your salary!

6) Your limited fund of knowledge has ENABLED that insurance company to BS you fella, because, if you had devoted more time on the net investigating the most reliable means of evaluating BONY PATHOLOGY such as fractures, you would have KNOWN to ask for a CT SCAN!

7) Finally since a CT scan is also unlikely to reveal a fracture, (because of a NORMAL CXR) what's the next step in your algorithm Dr Commoner? What you say, shall it be a bone scan or direct surgical visualization?

Now we know or should know why those dreaded "HMO Gatekeepers" are a necessary part of Heath care insurance!

Last edited:
JDUB

JDUB

Mar 26, 2012
If your a "commoner" let your doctor practice the medicine and you be the patient!

Why is this so important? Because you clearly don't have the level of education, insight, motivation or ambition to determine what tests are indicated, when and why.

I think I'm missing something here doc....I never have been nothing but the patient...never said I was a doctor or anything close to that....your right I don't know shit about it....why do you think I'm being more than the patient?

All I can do is what the doc says and what the insurance pays for....that's it ....sorry for cussing you earlier but I think your accusing me for something I never started or did....

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
Hey J,
I've had a broken rib and from my experience I can say that breathing is damn near impossible and the wrong movement is freakin worse. I also went through the respiratory infection that was going around, twice, this year. Dec - March and the deep uncontrolled coughing left me with waht felt like a pulled muscle or something in my ribs. having had a broken rib , from my experience, I can say it didn't come close to the broken \ fractured rib. THAT SHIT HURT 10x's worse!
I wouldn't waste any money on a mri or a xray as there's really nothing you can do but let it heal. Hate to say it but I wouldn't use a vest or wrap it just let it heal. takes a month or 2 for the pain to subside.
Good Luck and enjoy the muscle relaxers BUT not too much lol

graniteman

graniteman

MuscleHead
Dec 31, 2011
I should clarify, it took that long for the cracked rib to heal. My coughing strain or whatever it was took about 3-4 weeks to go away but I could still feel it on deep breaths for quite awhile.

J

johnjay06

VIP Member
Jul 22, 2011
Also, make sure YOUR doc passed English class, or YOU'RE in trouble.

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
My pain is right under the pec muscle....very high...all of the xrays are neg ....showing no fracture...but my doc class it a stress fracture...idk...

wanted to take an MRI but insurance is bsing me...it still hurts while coughing gna that's what aggravated it...

What I did as we weightlifters require different approach than average Joe - find a good Orthopeadic sports guy- I found same guy that operates on my professional sports teams . We are larger heavier and stronger typically so PT surgery all have variations that take these into consideration. . Yes we are big but lifting constantly on top of violent physical combat tax recuperative energy so much that like sometimes hours after getting slammed 100 times I might pull a muscle opening a door lol

JDUB

JDUB

Mar 26, 2012
What I did as we weightlifters require different approach than average Joe - find a good Orthopeadic sports guy- I found same guy that operates on my professional sports teams . We are larger heavier and stronger typically so PT surgery all have variations that take these into consideration. . Yes we are big but lifting constantly on top of violent physical combat tax recuperative energy so much that like sometimes hours after getting slammed 100 times I might pull a muscle opening a door lol

your right ket....thanks bro..its better now....headed back to work Monday....starting some light full body as well..

JDUB

JDUB

Mar 26, 2012
Hey JDUB, go see a real doctor bro, dont waste your time taking googled advice from someone who claims to be a real doctor, NONE OF US are doctors here. Good luck brother, get that rib taken care of

thanks Raiden....I have been just want to see if my fellow vets and VIPs had the same issues or issue....thanks to all of my BROTHERS who have responded....thanks..

ketsugo

ketsugo

MuscleHead
Sep 10, 2011
Let's put it this way if I was in Vegas I'd give your PCP 1000:1 odds of being correct.

Why because although rib fractures "from coughing" have been reported in the literature they are quite rare especially in those patients who don't already have a predisposition to bony fractures such as the elderly, those with COPD, or those whom are otherwise debilitated.

Based on your Avatars body habitus, shit a Mac truck traveling 100mph couldn't break those ribs but a cough would.
I think NOT :)

Regs
Jim

What about the fact that my training and lifestyles provide repetitive traiuma over time just takes it's toll??

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic