BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Supplement Q's

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Two questions:
1) From what you said here about BCAA's it seems you are saying they are beneficial when in a fasted state, like during fasting hours on IF. So they can help prevent catabolism but don't do anything for muscle growth that regular old protein wont do?

2) Back to Cissus, I believe I read somewhere that it's MOA is through COX-2 inhibition like ibuprofen. This has made me avoid it. My doc had me on ibuprofen (2400 QD I believe) for numbness in my fingertips that she believed was caused by CTS. The tingling went away, but my creatinine shot up to 1.82!! It has since come down and even when it was that high a 24hr urine showed my true CCR to be something like 114mL/min. Sitill, I avoid NSAIDs now because after seeing the quality of life CRF patients have... I'd rather go ahead and die than be on dialysis. Okay sorry, in short my question is, does it have the same risk of kidney damage as NSAID's?

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Two questions:
1) From what you said here about BCAA's it seems you are saying they are beneficial when in a fasted state, like during fasting hours on IF. So they can help prevent catabolism but don't do anything for muscle growth that regular old protein wont do?

2) Back to Cissus, I believe I read somewhere that it's MOA is through COX-2 inhibition like ibuprofen. This has made me avoid it. My doc had me on ibuprofen (2400 QD I believe) for numbness in my fingertips that she believed was caused by CTS. The tingling went away, but my creatinine shot up to 1.82!! It has since come down and even when it was that high a 24hr urine showed my true CCR to be something like 114mL/min. Sitill, I avoid NSAIDs now because after seeing the quality of life CRF patients have... I'd rather go ahead and die than be on dialysis. Okay sorry, in short my question is, does it have the same risk of kidney damage as NSAID's?

1. They are not used to prevent catabolism, that would take days maybe even a week of minimal nutrition to reach. They are used to maximize MPS/mTor. Whole proteins are far superior

2. There is no documented proof of this, or any medical cases I am aware of.

tightglutes

tightglutes

TID VIP Lady Member
May 1, 2012
Diesel do you recommend a good peptide for my ****ed up shoulders? Or you think I should keep taking the cissus?

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Diesel do you recommend a good peptide for my ****ed up shoulders? Or you think I should keep taking the cissus?

I feel like this is more of a medical related question, I'm not comfortable giving my opinion

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
1. They are not used to prevent catabolism, that would take days maybe even a week of minimal nutrition to reach. They are used to maximize MPS/mTor. Whole proteins are far superior

2. There is no documented proof of this, or any medical cases I am aware of.

1) Well now I'm going to have to learn what the hell MPS/mTor is haha. Thank you. I do believe I read somewhere that one didn't start to catabolize muscle until 36hrs or more of not eating.

2) I wouldn't figure there would be any documented "proof" or studies/cases since cissus is not a drug. Was just wondering if it was the COX-2 inhibition that can cause kidney damage. I thought I read that COX-2 inhibition constricts the renal artery or something. I'll stop being lazy and just look it up.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
1) Well now I'm going to have to learn what the hell MPS/mTor is haha. Thank you. I do believe I read somewhere that one didn't start to catabolize muscle until 36hrs or more of not eating.

2) I wouldn't figure there would be any documented "proof" or studies/cases since cissus is not a drug. Was just wondering if it was the COX-2 inhibition that can cause kidney damage. I thought I read that COX-2 inhibition constricts the renal artery or something. I'll stop being lazy and just look it up.

In short:

1. MPS = Muscle Protein Synthesis, mTor = Mammalian target of rapamycin (Muscle building pathways)

2. Highly unlikely unless you have previous or underlying conditions.

Diesel0022

Diesel0022

MuscleHead
Oct 1, 2013
Aight guys, its about that time. Its been fun for the short time Ive been on here. Ill try to drop in now and then but the new job will be very demanding

You're all in good hands with SAD's advice and mcgyvers theories ;)

dr jim

dr jim

MuscleHead
Apr 7, 2014
Hey Diesel I've read this entire thread and there's no doubt your posts are frimly based upon your "experience", an advanced education in a science related field (chem sounds GTM) and knowledge of contemporary scientific literature.

Ergo being an laudable asset to TID, I certainly hope you can drop by more frequently fella, because members of your ilk, not only legitimize forums like TID but also elevate their stature to one of exclusivity!

Regards
jim

IronSoul

IronSoul

TID Board Of Directors
Apr 2, 2013
I definitely second what dr Jim said. I hope you can drop in now and then with the new job brother!

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
Nice thread ~ and I like your opening post Diesel. Good stuff.

Can I just add that biotin also has a useful role to play in blood sugar regulation and glucose metabolism, as this is something that is actually dependant on sufficient biotin intake. For most people a modest dose is fine such as 10mg or up to 1,000ug a day, but if it is being used to treat something like nerve damage caused by diabetic neuropathy (chronically elevated blood sugar levels) or hyperglycaemia then the dose does need to be significantly higher.

I like its' potential application for bodybuilding, PL'ing etc because it is needed for many different roles in the body which directly relate to nutrition:

** Biotin helps to metabolise proteins
** Aids the conversion of glucose from dietary carbohydrates into energy
** Production and metabolism of fatty acids

I've subb'ed to this thread, keep the info coming.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic