Latest posts

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
severedthumbz
What's New?

Cycling, not the kind usually mentioned here.

Ogre717

Ogre717

TID Official Lab Rat
Jul 22, 2011
So ive been searching a bit here and haven't seen hardly any threads about cycling. I recently started riding again. Picked up a '84 Schwinn World road bike off craigslist, slapped some new tires on it, a quick tune up ans i was on the road. Riding is and had always been my preferred cardio. I used to do 30-40 miles every saturday morning, but im starting off light to ease into it and to make sure this 30 year old bike can handle it before i leave myself stranded on the other side of town.

so who else here rides? what do you ride? how do you train? hell maybe this'll turn into an all out bike-chat thread. I know there's some bike riders out there...

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I used to be a competitive cyclist.

Best way to train is to get in on group rides.

I'm not going to get too much into my rigs. My road bikes were very high end Italian.

jhotsauce7

jhotsauce7

TID Board Of Directors
Jan 18, 2011
I MTB raced x country for a brief stint... Saving up for a decent bike is on my list of things to do... Both frames I have need a serious overhaul

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I ride alot I have a badassed Fuji mtn bike that I ride all over......lol I told a guy I did 34 miles one day he said that ain't shit I did over 100 till he found out mine were OFFROAD lmao he wanted none of it, I am considering a really light roadbike though so I can kick ass on these skinny homos that pass me sometimes on a paved trail.

I LOVE it.

LK has a bike with no seat just a post there is a thread on it here somewhere:eek:

Later bro's

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
I ride alot I have a badassed Fuji mtn bike that I ride all over......lol I told a guy I did 34 miles one day he said that ain't shit I did over 100 till he found out mine were OFFROAD lmao he wanted none of it, I am considering a really light roadbike though so I can kick ass on these skinny homos that pass me sometimes on a paved trail.

I LOVE it.

LK has a bike with no seat just a post there is a thread on it here somewhere:eek:

Later bro's
I've done a mountain century. And my slopestyle bike was not very xc friendly.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
They have 24 hour mountain runs here and stuff using the ski trails and fire-roads etc.......super badassed stuff!

Where I live there is nothing flat.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Can't be much damage in posting this one here.

My slopestyle/free ride bike.

IMG_9439712131408.jpg

That is the bike 5 inches front and back in slopestyle/trail mode. For free ride and downhill trails it adjusts to 6.5 inches rear and 7 inches up front.

Last edited:

Aug 2, 2013
I love cycling, it's my favorite mode of transportation. I have a gary fisher tassajara (but I messed up the fork, so its not up to par right now) and I have a diamondback insight (it was a cheaper bike but I love it). I also use cycling as my cardio, I always ride to gym which is about 10-12 miles round trip, and if I go out I usually ride as well, its a lot easier to find parking.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
So ive been searching a bit here and haven't seen hardly any threads about cycling. I recently started riding again. Picked up a '84 Schwinn World road bike off craigslist, slapped some new tires on it, a quick tune up ans i was on the road.

Kinda fell into the same scenario. My older brother has always been a cycling enthusiast. Several years back when money was a little tight for him, he and his wife got into buying 80's bikes that were very nice bikes in their day and restoring them. Now he's doing much better financially and has what he wants to ride. He just gave me an '88 Specialized that still has the ugly as hell '88 paint job, but everything else on it is tip top/brand new. Good enough for what I'm doing. I took it out for the first time today and discovered that there's still a lot of undeveloped desert right by my house, hills everything. This is for sure a more enjoyable form of cardio than being on an elyptical or treadmill.

I remember going to see a day of the Tour de France when I was about 10yrs old. It was a little kids perception but I swear some of those guys had some very impressive legs when you saw them in person. I wouldn't be surprised to see this have a bit of a positive influence on my legs.

Grumpyfit

Grumpyfit

MuscleHead
Jun 7, 2012
Use the eliptical, do some quick ab work and then jump on bike daily in that order, once you get going feels good.

69nites

69nites

VIP Member
Aug 17, 2011
Kinda fell into the same scenario. My older brother has always been a cycling enthusiast. Several years back when money was a little tight for him, he and his wife got into buying 80's bikes that were very nice bikes in their day and restoring them. Now he's doing much better financially and has what he wants to ride. He just gave me an '88 Specialized that still has the ugly as hell '88 paint job, but everything else on it is tip top/brand new. Good enough for what I'm doing. I took it out for the first time today and discovered that there's still a lot of undeveloped desert right by my house, hills everything. This is for sure a more enjoyable form of cardio than being on an elyptical or treadmill.

I remember going to see a day of the Tour de France when I was about 10yrs old. It was a little kids perception but I swear some of those guys had some very impressive legs when you saw them in person. I wouldn't be surprised to see this have a bit of a positive influence on my legs.
Most sprinters calves are 18+ inches and cut up. Just goes to show calves like volume not big weight.

Old steel bikes are great for training. When you switch to a race bike from that you are so much faster it is ridiculous.

TheClap

TheClap

VIP Member
Oct 25, 2011
Most sprinters calves are 18+ inches and cut up. Just goes to show calves like volume not big weight.

Old steel bikes are great for training. When you switch to a race bike from that you are so much faster it is ridiculous.

Thank you, I couldn't remember if it was the sprinters that had large legs or the climbers. Now what's the difference in the way each one rides? Are the sprinters going to be pushing hard against higher gears at a lower cadence or still keeping RPM's relatively high?

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic