Latest Member
Kiddorism
What's New?

Ventrogluteal Injection site

MAYO

MAYO

Bad Mother
Sep 27, 2010
The prob w/ z-track IMO is that it does not prevent sub-q refusal. It will keep the compound from exiting the injection wound in the skin but does nothing to keep the compound in the muscle. Best bet, again IMO, is good depth.....slow injection.....followed by immediate pressure and massage.

olaphg10

olaphg10

Dec 3, 2010
thanks for the info dude t cant reach the buttox beacuse im so massive lolol olaphg10

olaphg10

olaphg10

Dec 3, 2010
thanks ive heard about it but let me ask, do you asperate at the site? i usualy dont just go with it , could their be a problem, ive been off 4 months and am feeling good ,, usually i do delt inj ,,lat thigh etc let me know go naps

JackD

JackD

Senior Moderators
Staff Member
Sep 16, 2010
You should always aspirate when doing an injecting, while this site is free from most nerves and veins, it does happen at sites, and the last thing you want to do is inject into the blood stream.

thanks ive heard about it but let me ask, do you asperate at the site? i usualy dont just go with it , could their be a problem, ive been off 4 months and am feeling good ,, usually i do delt inj ,,lat thigh etc let me know go naps

C

ceo

VIP Member
Oct 12, 2010
Hip (Ventrogluteal) Site For IM Injection

3. Place the palm of your hand over the trochanter. Point the first or index finger toward the anterior iliac crest. Spread the second or middle finger toward the back, making a 'V'. The thumb should always be pointed toward the front of the leg. Always use the index finger and middle finger to make the 'V'.

4. Give the injection between the knuckles on your index and middle fingers.

The description posted is to aid someone who is administering the injection to another person.

If you are self administering the injection (which most here are), it gives you an idea, but you can't follow it exactly. I'd like to see anyone place their own palm on their own greater trochanter and point their index finger to their ASIS (Anterior Superior Iliac Spine - proper name), with their thumb pointed toward the front of their leg. You'd have to be extremely flexible to manage that! LOL!

If you are doing it yourself, I'd say place your thumb on the front of the ASIS (Anterior Superior Iliac Spine) and your forefinger on the greater trochanter (you can feel this if you rotate your foot in and out - it feels like it's "popping" in and out there on your hip), the meaty spot between the base of your index finger and thumb is the ventrogluteal.

This pic is not how I described it. It is how JackD described it, but it helps to illustrate the intended area.

fyhmaw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
huntlo

huntlo

Apr 9, 2011
One of my friends is in nursing and in their nursing
literature it says NOT to massage after an
IM injection due to the possibility of causing minor
tissue damage. It says only to apply pressure to
the site. For sub-q injections, lightly massaging the
site is recommended.

Any thoughts?

AllTheWay

AllTheWay

TID Lady Member
Mar 17, 2011
One of my friends is in nursing and in their nursing
literature it says NOT to massage after an
IM injection due to the possibility of causing minor
tissue damage. It says only to apply pressure to
the site. For sub-q injections, lightly massaging the
site is recommended.

Any thoughts?

definitely dont massage after IM injection. pressure on the injection site helps prevent it from following the needle tract out and also applies pressure to any little vessels that might have been hit therefore decreasing bruising and swelling associated with it.

i wouldnt massage a SQ injection. we use the SQ route all the time in animals and never ever do i massage it. once again slight pressure at the injection site to prevent leakage but not necessary to massage.

ozzy69

ozzy69

MuscleHead
Apr 5, 2011
great post this is where all newbies need to begin

huntlo

huntlo

Apr 9, 2011
definitely dont massage after IM injection. pressure on the injection site helps prevent it from following the needle tract out and also applies pressure to any little vessels that might have been hit therefore decreasing bruising and swelling associated with it.

i wouldnt massage a SQ injection. we use the SQ route all the time in animals and never ever do i massage it. once again slight pressure at the injection site to prevent leakage but not necessary to massage.

Well damn...No more rubbing on myself lol
Thanks for the info

A

Assbrown

Oct 11, 2011
wow this is a little scary should i use 1 inch needle or 1 1/2 thanks.

fixxer

fixxer

MuscleHead
Dec 15, 2010
The description posted is to aid someone who is administering the injection to another person.

If you are self administering the injection (which most here are), it gives you an idea, but you can't follow it exactly. I'd like to see anyone place their own palm on their own greater trochanter and point their index finger to their ASIS (Anterior Superior Iliac Spine - proper name), with their thumb pointed toward the front of their leg. You'd have to be extremely flexible to manage that! LOL!

If you are doing it yourself, I'd say place your thumb on the front of the ASIS (Anterior Superior Iliac Spine) and your forefinger on the greater trochanter (you can feel this if you rotate your foot in and out - it feels like it's "popping" in and out there on your hip), the meaty spot between the base of your index finger and thumb is the ventrogluteal.

This pic is not how I described it. It is how JackD described it, but it helps to illustrate the intended area.

fyhmaw.jpg

Good post! Two thumbs up

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic