Latest Member
jacobss
What's New?

Your Kids Nutrition

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
I feel you to an extent and appreciate the compliments.
I've read that kids gain fat cells when they are little... so if we let them get to Butterbean size by feeding them junk it's harder for them as adults to maintain weight since they're more susceptible to fat storing. I can't control what their mother feeds them (soda/candy in the morning and some other bullshit) but if I put my best foot forward I might be able to counteract the garbage intake.

Fat cells undergo hyperplasia in young kids yes but that's not dependent on their food intake. It's genetics. Not saying to constantly feed them Junk food but their diets won't affect this fat cell issue.

Go Away

Go Away

MuscleHead
Dec 28, 2011
Fat cells undergo hyperplasia in young kids yes but that's not dependent on their food intake. It's genetics. Not saying to constantly feed them Junk food but their diets won't affect this fat cell issue.

No shit? So my thicker kid got our bad fat kid genetics and the other didn't?!

D

Docd187123

MuscleHead
Dec 2, 2013
No shit? So my thicker kid got our bad fat kid genetics and the other didn't?!

Not necessarily. It could just be her expenditure isn't matching her intake. Bottom like is you're doing what any good parent would do, and I applaud you for it, by worrying about their future health. You can't force kids to eat healthy, my little brother is a prime example age cereal 3-4x a day as a kid, but you can give them the tools to make these decisions for themselves either now or in the future.

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
I don't really worry about it. I just give her some kind of meat, carb, veggie and fruit. She only drinks water. She will destroy anything dessert wise. Reality is she is a kid who is running around all day long at summer camp. Then goes to my mothers and is in the pool for 3 hours and at home at night is still a total spaz.

I wouldn't in a million years try to get her to eat like she is a bodybuilder. I would never restrict any particular food unless its absolute crap. I try not to feed her stuff from packages.

Kids grow exponentially. So there are some weeks where they might look a little chubbier than usual. But next week you'll be buying all new clothes for them because they suddenly grew out of everything overnight. Unless her pediatrician tells me she is overweight or she has some kind of bad blood work I'm not worried. She is healthy, happy and growing. And boy is she growing. She was the size of a 9 year old according to the growth chart.... At her year six physical.

Reactions: 5.0
shortz

shortz

Beard of Knowledge VIP
May 6, 2013
I let my kids have pancakes etc for breakfast every other day. The other day they must have a healthy cereal or other healthy choice. Lunch and dinner are healthy about 90% of the time.

My 7 year old loves peanut butter. I give her a banana and PB on days she has her pancake, and PB and honey on the day she has the healthy alternative.

My youngest is a very picky eater, and although she is somewhat active, she is not near as active as our 7 year old. I had to make up these nutritional rules mostly because of her. She would eat garbage all day if we didn't set these rules. Instead, she ends up going to bed without dinner most nights because she won't eat the healthy stuff. Yes, I would prefer she goes to bed hungry than eat junk.

Our 7 year old eats pretty mcuh anything we put in front of her.

RAIDEN

RAIDEN

VIP Member
Feb 22, 2012
My son is so active I don't care what he eats as long as he is taking in calories. I do emphasize good foods and he takes note. Polices himself to an extent. Now my daughter isn't as active and is a trashcan. Lucky she is skinny as a rail.

Hmm, i would of thought McGriddles were the staple breakfast in your house.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
I let my kids have pancakes etc for breakfast every other day. The other day they must have a healthy cereal or other healthy choice. Lunch and dinner are healthy about 90% of the time.

My 7 year old loves peanut butter. I give her a banana and PB on days she has her pancake, and PB and honey on the day she has the healthy alternative.

My youngest is a very picky eater, and although she is somewhat active, she is not near as active as our 7 year old. I had to make up these nutritional rules mostly because of her. She would eat garbage all day if we didn't set these rules. Instead, she ends up going to bed without dinner most nights because she won't eat the healthy stuff. Yes, I would prefer she goes to bed hungry than eat junk.

Our 7 year old eats pretty mcuh anything we put in front of her.

I like that plan Shortz. I think it makes you appreciate the days you have stuff you like.

I think it stays with you as you get older too and you can relate back to those principals in daily life.

Little lessons like that help you as you get older.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
I think you're doing fine GA.I don't have kids, but this is my opinion. I think they should get to eat what they want and enjoy their child hood. Soon enough they'll be into the "real world". Again, just my .02, sounds like you're a great dad GA.
When you have kids you'll change your tune... what if they want ketchup sandwiches with chocolate chips and a large Coca cola? This train of thought will surely have your children over weight and living in your basement well into their thirties... Kids need structure and discipline... they also need good life skills... eating well is one of them... your doing fine GA... Just remember, they have a super fast metabolism so the extra carbs wont hurt from time to time...

PillarofBalance

PillarofBalance

Strength Pimp
Feb 27, 2011
When you have kids you'll change your tune... what if they want ketchup sandwiches with chocolate chips and a large Coca cola? This train of thought will surely have your children over weight and living in your basement well into their thirties... Kids need structure and discipline... they also need good life skills... eating well is one of them... your doing fine GA... Just remember, they have a super fast metabolism so the extra carbs wont hurt from time to time...

Very true IC. If I let my daughter eat whatever she wants it would be cupcakes, reeses and mac and cheese every day. And McDonald's.

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012

That makes sense IC, thanks for sharing.

I like the idea Shortz has. Let them have stuff they want but only on particular days. This would make you enjoy it more I think and teach discipline.

IronCore

IronCore

Bigger Than MAYO - VIP
Sep 9, 2010
That makes sense IC, thanks for sharing. I like the idea Shortz has. Let them have stuff they want but only on particular days. This would make you enjoy it more I think and teach discipline.
agreed... Saturdays are the perfect days for shitty breakfast intake... much different than schooldays were s'mores pop-tarts and chocolate milk are the norm... IMO... with children it is important to teach them to eat well and lead by example... Bfast has some wiggle room there because they have more energy and a higher metabolism, provided your kids are ACTIVE, lunch and dinner are when you want to dial it in closer... especially dinner... you dont want you kids full of sugar and simple carbs at bed time... bfast? Well... they will burn that off by 10:00a... SNACKS are where you find a lot of the problems these days...

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 1 members watching this topic