Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest Member
BluueWater_Hunter
What's New?

Would you rather be poor and work at a job you love or be rich and work at a job you hate?

Tuffoldman

Tuffoldman

VIP Member
May 23, 2011
Being in business for yourself has its advantages and its disadvantages. I've done both. I like having my own business, but you'll typicaly end up working a lot harder than if you were working for someone else. Nothing wrong with that, but I always laugh when someone says, "I'd love to have my own business like you, no one is telling you what to do." LOL As the boss, EVERYONE tells me what to do: my wife, my customers, and my employees. LOL

It's true that balance is key. I figure that once I'm able to have my customers, my employees and my wife equally unhappy with me, I've achieved that elusive perfect balance, LOL.

Amen Brother!!! I totally agree. I don't have ONE boss I have 26 right now. But still the harder I work the more I make and the more toys I get.

Gstacker

Gstacker

MuscleHead
Aug 19, 2011
I love $ as much as anyone, but I know that it's not the only thing once you have enough to live on. Being broke and jobless really sucks, and working at a job you hate also sucks. Of course some jobs are REALLY bad, and others are just kinda bad. And all else equal, I'd have an easier time dealing with a job I hate if I'm making 7 figures than I would if I was making five figures.

Also, making lots of money does not in itself make one "rich". I've known many who make lots and spend most or all of it and then some, and have little or no wealth. And there are those who make a modest living who live frugally and invest wisely who eventually become wealthy.

When you reach the point where you are most likely "rich", you should have the freedom to "work" (or not work or whatever) at whatever "job" you'd choose. And at that point the amount of money you'd make at that "job" may not even matter. You may choose to do it because you enjoy it or just to have something to do with your time or whatever.

Earn as much as you can, live frugally, and INVEST wisely.

Accumulate enough wealth (assets above and beyond any debt).

Accumulate sufficient liquid assets and investment / income assets to at least consistently live on comfortably and have plenty of cash reserves for emergencies, unforseen events, etc.

Limit ownership of depreciating assets and other "problems" that drain wealth.

Limit debt and eventually eliminate it. Good debt is debt with little or no interest that is borrowed for the purpose of investing in appreciating assets you don't have cash readily available for, such as a home or other real estate, business investments, etc. Anything else is not good debt and should be limited. But even good debt can be harmful if cash flow dries up. Invest WISELY and borrow CAREFULLY if you choose to borrow.

Protect yourself legally from liability for any unforseen problems, disasters, etc as much as you reasonably can - use corps, LLCs, trusts, etc liberally and avoid having too much in your own name. Have a good attorney and CPA on speed dial.

You can probably do whatever you like at that point as long as you live within your means.

Very good advice... Hard to put that all in one sentence...

Smart Rich people don't have money they just control it.

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

Mini Forklift Ⓥ

The Veganator
Dec 23, 2012
I couldn't work in any job I hated, regardless of the money.

I tend to stick at places pretty long, not sure if that's a good thing or not though. When I worked onboard QE2 I was there for 5yrs, Personal Trainer at a gym for 5yrs and I have been where I am now for just over 7yrs. I'm in my late thirties now and I've only had 3 jobs lol.

C

C T J

Crossfit VIP
Jan 24, 2013
I have a job I love and it pays well.
I guess I have the best of both worlds.
Blood sweat and tears...hustling 24/7

Jenner

Friends Remembered
Jan 9, 2012
PM me prefer not to post area in the open. I can give some pointers I think. I have a heavy marketing background so this has helped a lot but I train between 50-60 sessions on a light week but average 65+ :O

PT career if you are willing to put in the time and effort is very $$$ rewarding.

PM sent :)

M

Misti

TID Lady Member
Apr 22, 2013
I used to love my job, now I'm more in a limbo state of mind. Some days are ok, most are crappy. The money is only decent because the economy here is awful. I do not have benefits like health insurance (hubby does though), and I have no retirement plan. I wouldn't make what I do anywhere else, so again...I'm in limbo. I wouldn't want to have a horrible job and make tons of money because like the saying goes, money doesn't buy ya happiness.

Littleguy

Littleguy

TID Board Of Directors
Sep 30, 2011
I am old, retired and on a fixed income, I will just stay here and let you guys feed the machine:)

Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Yep, going to try my niche at Personal Training

Jenner, I have a request. When you get your job as a personal trainer, would you pm me a photo of you in your uniform ?

:x

Hero Swole

Hero Swole

Apr 18, 2013
Whats the point of having all those nice toys if your not going to enjoy them? Anyways id rather be rich as long as my job doesnt consist of lying and effin people over. Ill just buy lots of drugs and have lot of women over my crib to drown my sorrows. Oh poor rich me.

Last edited:
Turbolag

Turbolag

TID's Official Donut Tester
Oct 14, 2012
Whats the point of having all those nice toys if your not going to enjoy them? Anyways id rather be rich as long as my job doesnt consist of lying and effin people over. Ill just buy lots of drugs and have lot of women over my crib to drown my sorrows. Oh poor rich me.

Man I would drive that Ascari or KTM to work everyday.

Hero Swole

Hero Swole

Apr 18, 2013
Man I would drive that Ascari or KTM to work everyday.

And get all kinds of speeding tickets. Plus hire a really expensive lawyer to battle of those tickets. The pd is not going to have enough money or time for court so they wont take my license away.

Who is viewing this thread?

There are currently 0 members watching this topic